Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 25, 2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Console King OnePlus 8 - a few questions as a new owner

So, i got the 8, still figuring out a lot of stuff. I have a few questions for those who have owned one
  1. I'm looking for Icon-Sets, because frankly, i don't like the standard ones at all. Was searching the web for stuff like this

2. As far as i've seen there's no dedicated musicplayer, so what do you use for music?
  3. Any apps i should have for enhancing photos?
  4. still looking for a case, preferable one like these

5. Any other things i should know/use?

Thx in advance.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have a 7T since the day it came out last year.

I use FluOxygen icon set. It was $2 on Google App Store I believe? There's tons of different options. For Music, I just use Spotify, but you can probably use Google Play Music if you want.

Photos on Oxygen OS are already good to go. I wouldn't bother with any other apps. If you know what your doing, the Peo mode is pretty solid.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:13 PM   #3
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

thx, Nunz. I'll keep searching for Icon Packs then. Smoke & Glass from Hooolm looks like what i've been looking for. Maybe i'll give it a try, it's just 1,50 bucks

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 25, 2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

For music, I use YT Music since I have Youtube Premium, but I also set up a SubSonic server at home, so can listen via the DSub app I downloaded (I picked that one because it has Android Auto support). There's a free SubSonic app from SubSonic, it's decent.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2020, 05:32 PM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Went to get my gf a new phone since her Iphone 7plus is 3yrs old and beat to hell..

Walked out with an 8T+5G because why not

120hz is sweet!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 27, 2020, 02:31 AM   #6
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

on a 7pro the refresh rate is smooth as butter waiting for the 9pro to upgrade (hoping for the new qualcomm merged modem and cpu chip for 5g, also sweet sweet wireless charging)

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 07:15 AM   #7
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Display is awesome, wireless charging is also a plus. As for the music, i've got poweramp which is good enough for my needs. So far it's great although getting my data from my old phone to this was a nightmare. Still digging through the options and finding new stuff all the time.

Old Dec 28, 2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I was very disappointed with the OnePlus Switch app. It's supposed to make Data transfer easy, but my 7T (which is only a year old) wouldn't transfer to the 8T because the 8T comes with Android 11, and the 7T is still on Android 10. IMO, that's a huge oversight on OnePlus' part. The only way the Switch app is useful then is if it's between an 8, 8Pro, or 8T. That's ridiculous; very few people would do that.

Otherwise, this 8T is awesome, and 5G (TMobile) is pretty sick!
Old Dec 28, 2020, 08:43 AM   #9
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

i've read a lot mixed reviews about it, the setup was overly complicated and after 12 (!!) tries i simply gave up and used my pc for the audiofiles/pictures, google for whatsapp/contacts and nearby share for the rest. As for the games, well, as expected some lost their saves (%$§!) but other than that it was ok. Sadly all birthdays from my contacts didn't make it into the new calendar. But hey, **** happens.

That being said, it was a move from a Huawei Mate to a OnePlus, so i already had my concerns before i even started.

On a somewhat related sidenote, i actually liked the designs/themes/iconsets on the Huawei a lot more but i guess i'll get used to the new ones too.

Oh, and there's something i was wondering about, the OnePlus Launcher eats up almost 13% of battery life, is that a normal behaviour?

Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:06 AM   #10
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Not sure what you're doing on your phone usage wise. I've had my phone off charger for 9hrs, with 90min screen-time and OnePlus Launcher has 1% usage.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:07 AM   #11
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

i'll keep an eye on that then

Update: Must've been a one-time-thing, maybe because i was fiddling with all the settings most of that day. It's been normal now. Battery-life is actually very impressive.

Last edited by Silent-Runner : Dec 29, 2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 09:38 AM   #12
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Probably uploading your profile, taking pictures of you and friends/family, uploading all your username/passwords and that pinch was when it took a blood sample and uploaded your genetic makeup to the Chinese servers.

Seriously though the Note 20 ultra also used a **** ton of battery on the first day, Imagine as was using wifi a lot to get updates etc, but since then it's been fine.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 09:58 AM   #13
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

yeah, you never know nowadays. Was eyeing the s20/note 20 too, but i liked the 1+ more. That being said, my wife is now looking to replace her old s9+ with terrible burn-in issues. We'll see if we can find something fitting her taste and needs.

As for the 1+, man there are so friggin many options, it fells like i'll need a few months to find half of them ^^ Love the fingerprintsensor and the camera is great too. So far lovin' it

Old Dec 30, 2020, 02:59 PM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Not a fan of the processor in the Samsung's imo, Snapdragon is the way to go.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:34 AM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
yeah, you never know nowadays. Was eyeing the s20/note 20 too, but i liked the 1+ more. That being said, my wife is now looking to replace her old s9+ with terrible burn-in issues. We'll see if we can find something fitting her taste and needs.

As for the 1+, man there are so friggin many options, it fells like i'll need a few months to find half of them ^^ Love the fingerprintsensor and the camera is great too. So far lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Not a fan of the processor in the Samsung's imo, Snapdragon is the way to go.
For sure - I wonder if an unlocked US version with the Snapdragon would work in Germany....
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2020, 04:47 PM   #16
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
For sure - I wonder if an unlocked US version with the Snapdragon would work in Germany....
buy one and send it to me, i'll test it for you, my friend

Old Jan 1, 2021, 07:13 AM   #17
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
buy one and send it to me, i'll test it for you, my friend
I would if I could lol.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 09:29 AM   #18
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Weird issue with the latest Android update. On TMobile, it took over 10minutes after the update for my phone to detect my SIM card; was googling if this was happening to anyone else when it randomly came back. Now I'm losing service (No Service, SIM is still detected) every now and then over the past 30min. I'll keep monitoring. I suspect the phone was doing background updates to carrier apps and it was causing a disconnect with TMobile..
Old Jan 3, 2021, 09:37 AM   #19
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Weird issue with the latest Android update. On TMobile, it took over 10minutes after the update for my phone to detect my SIM card; was googling if this was happening to anyone else when it randomly came back. Now I'm losing service (No Service, SIM is still detected) every now and then over the past 30min. I'll keep monitoring. I suspect the phone was doing background updates to carrier apps and it was causing a disconnect with TMobile..
After an update to 11? Users across several carriers have been reporting connectivity and other issues, including bricking some phones. Do a search for Android 11 update problems...
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:28 PM   #20
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

no problems here so far, i hope it stays that way.

Old Jan 3, 2021, 02:00 PM   #21
Nunz
RIP Roxen

No, my phone came with Android 11. It was just a normal update.

It's been fine since the post. Looks like it may have been the background carrier updates for the first 10-15 minutes as I suspected.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 07:34 AM   #22
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

one thing i kinda miss is the blinking led when i get messages, i do know that there are numerous apps for that but c'mon...

Other than that i'm already loving the phone

Old Jan 5, 2021, 08:37 AM   #23
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

stumpled across this bundle and wondered why they named it 7 Pro. I mean, it can be used by all mobiles, right? Or are there really differences between the models ampere wise?

Last edited by Silent-Runner : Jan 7, 2021 at 04:45 AM. Reason: scratch that, just got the cable from somewhere else
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:47 AM   #24
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That bundle is not strong enough to Warp Charge an 8T. The 8T Warp Charge is 65watts. I can go from 0 to 100% in about 38-45min. The Warp Charge 30 for the 7 Pro is only 30watts, so it's a slower charge. It's more to do with the wall adapter. Most of the cables I have are capable of pushing the amps required, but it depends on the wall adapter it's plugged into.

Honestly, I only use the 65watt charger if I'm desperate for battery life which rarely ever happens. The higher wattage/faster charging used to degrade battery life; I'm not sure if that's still the case anymore, but I typically use a very low wattage wall adapter and plug my phone on overnight. It'll take roughly 4-5 hours to charge the phone to full if I plug it in around 20-25%.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 02:14 PM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Now I have an 8T on the way OnePlus threw a $100 off coupon, plus $160 trade for my 7T (people are selling used 7Ts for $200-250 locally, saves me the hassle), destroying my self control.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2021, 02:39 PM   #26
Nunz
RIP Roxen

TMobile gave me $130 for my 7T, which was a complete rip-off as the phone had not a single scratch, dent, or blemish on it. It's kind of frustrating how quickly that phone dropped in value.

The 8T is awesome; if you like the 7T, this is an even better form of that. I will say that 5G is quite battery sapping, though. I'm not super impressed with the battery life considering it has a 4500mh capacity, but it makes it through a full day of use and then some even with the 120Hz screen and 5G going.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 03:58 PM   #27
Lazy8s
One day at a time

T-mo and Best Buy are absolute rip offs on trade in value. I'd rather give my old phone to a family member or something.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 06:22 PM   #28
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yeah. Unfortunately I didn't really have anyone to give it to. My grandmother (she's the only other person on my line cause I pay for her service), maybe, but I don't want her walking around with a phone that looks nice. Last thing I need is someone seeing something they'd like to steal
Old Jan 12, 2021, 05:23 AM   #29
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Yeah. Unfortunately I didn't really have anyone to give it to. My grandmother (she's the only other person on my line cause I pay for her service), maybe, but I don't want her walking around with a phone that looks nice. Last thing I need is someone seeing something they'd like to steal
Yeah no kidding.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 06:01 AM   #30
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
get her something like this