Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Oct 19, 2001, 02:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ck42

ck42 is still being judged by the masses

Default New LE owner...some questions regarding settings

Just installed my used LE I got for $55.

Used the flashrom utility and now it's recognized in Win98se as a Radeon 7200. This sound right? Yes, I DID use the correct ROM file.

Got the latest copy of Powerstrip and o/c'd settings to 185/185. Ran Q3 for a couple min. with ZERO probs.

Now....here's where the real questions come in.

I've never really kept up with all the video card technologies such as the special features ie, HyperZ and the like and there are a TON of options for ON/OFF in the Powerstrip settings.

I have NO clue what to set these options for.
Can someone give me a quick lowdown on what I should set these options to? or at least the ones that are most important? I don't play too many games...but when I do I'm more concerned about visual quality over pure FPS....I'm willing to sacrifice a couple FPS for some extra stability or better looking pix.

Mucho thnks!
ck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2001, 04:16 PM   #2
piper
Radeon R420

piper is still being judged by the masses

Since it's an LE, the main tweak would be to enable the HyperZ, though the flash should have taken care of that.

My favorite tweaker is the RaidOn tweaker, since I use the presets. Others are probably just as good. I've used Powerstrip, but I've always come back to RaidOn.

BUT!! I've come to the conclusion that tweaking should only be done when there is obviously something not "working" in whatever application I'm running. I say this after trying tweak after tweak hoping for better performance in different games, only to be dissappointed in the time I've wasted. Even overclocking doesn't really seem to do THAT much.

So now I mostly run at default settings (ok, I still overclock )and will try different (suggested) settings when I have issues.
piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2001, 08:05 PM   #3
Darksider
It's what's Inside

Darksider is still being judged by the masses

Lightbulb

You probably should still use the Raid On Tweaker. A BIOS flash on an LE only effects default clock speed. The Product ID on the LE is different than a 'normal' DDR. This means that whenever drivers are installed, HyperZ is off in D3D. Humus's tweaker can fix that. The Raid On Tweaker also has lots of Profiles for instant configurations on games and benchmarks. It has a lot of Radeon registry settings and tweaks that Powerstrip lacks. Powerstrip is a great program, but I think you can do more with a Radeon using the Raid On Tweaker (and possibly his new UniTuner(?), but I haven't used that one yet).
BFG Tech GTX 260 OC
Seagate 7200.11 750GB & 2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB
Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1
Logitech Z-680 5.1
Samsung 226BW 22" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
Darksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 19, 2001, 08:31 PM   #4
ck42

darksider:

Ja, I've since installed Humus' UniTuner...page says he has discontinued the Raid On tweaker?

I am pretty new to current video card tech and really have no clue what settings should be enabled or disabled...

The UniTuner gives me an overwhelming list of options!!
I'm not even sure where to start.
Old Oct 19, 2001, 09:10 PM   #5
Darksider
It's what's Inside

Darksider is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Humus isn't continuing his work on the Raid On Tweaker (5.1), but you can still download it. That one is easier because of the profiles.

Try doing it yourself! It's fun and you'll learn thing or two in the process. Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.radeonic.com/atisite/radopt/radopt.htm

http://sysopt.earthweb.com/articles/radtweak/index.html

The sysopt site also has guides for tuning the BIOS and such too. I have no idea of your knowledge in any of these areas, so I'm trying to be general. Don't think that I'm 'talking down' to you is what I'm trying to say! If you do have any questions, post again in these forums. I've found the Rage3D'ers to be a great bunch of people and we will help each through problems.

Welcome to Rage3D!!
BFG Tech GTX 260 OC
Seagate 7200.11 750GB & 2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB
Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1
Logitech Z-680 5.1
Samsung 226BW 22" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
Darksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2001, 09:15 PM   #6
ck42

Thumbs up

darksider:

Thnx for the links.

I'm cool on BIOS issues as well as pretty much all the other usual o/c'ing crap....I've just never stayed up to speed with the advancing graphics technologies...I hardly ever play games so there wasn't really a point in having a fast card or learning what new features meant for me.

Thanks for help! I'll give the raid on tweaker a go.