Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 26, 2004, 09:05 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
schmosef

schmosef is still being judged by the masses

Default Question about dual display resolutions and refresh rates

Hi All,

I've currently got a Matrox Parhelia 128 configured for dual screen use and it seems like it might be time for a new ATI card. Recently I upgraded my primary monitor from a Sony F500 to a Cornerstone p1750 so I could run at higher resolutions/refresh rates.

My ideal setup would be as follows:

Cornerstone: 1920x1440x32bpp @85Hz
Viewsonic: 1600x1200x32bpp @85Hz

However it seems that in dual display mode, I can only get the Cornerstone to run at 75Hz.

If I configure the Parhelia for single display mode, I have no trouble setting the display to 85Hz, even at 2048x1536!

If I lower the bit depth to 16bpp, I can run at 85Hz as well.

I've confirmed with Matrox tech support that this is a hardware limitation of the Parhelia.

So my question to you ATI users is whether an ATI 9600XT or 9800XT can run dual display with my ideal resolution / refresh rate / bit depth setup?

I checked the ATI site and couldn't find any contact info for pre-sales questions. If someone knows how I might be able to contact ATI directly on this, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.
schmosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:31 AM   #2
henesseynalert
Radeon AIW X800XT

henesseynalert is still being judged by the masses

Maybe the graphic card dont support the higher resolution or the refresh rate of your monitor.....just simply use powerstrip or something to force refresh rates and resolution all together.

best of luck
Old Mar 27, 2004, 06:39 PM   #3
schmosef

schmosef is still being judged by the masses

The card does support the rez / refresh rate in single display mode. It's in dual display mode that I hit a hardware limitation.

Quote:
from Matrox tech support:
This is a limitation by design. When using the card in DualHead at high resolutions, above 1600x1200, there will be a compromise in either the refresh rate or the colors.
So what I'm asking is if anyone here knows what the inherent dual display limitations of the ATI cards are?

I did manage to find a place on ATI's website to submit the question to pre-sales support but I'd still like to know if anyone here has experience with this.
schmosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad