Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
BENCHMARKMAN
Radeon Caribbean Islands

BENCHMARKMAN is still being judged by the masses

Default Mid Range Memory for Ryzen

I'm looking to purchase a Ryzen CPU when it comes out next week and I would like your opinion on the best mid-range DDR 4 memory. I'm not looking to do any overclocking right now or in the near term future. I'm considering the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHZ CL15 memory. Any thoughts? Thank you!
BENCHMARKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 01:39 PM   #2
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Fine memory. Built a 6600k machine for a friend with that exact kit last year.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 03:54 PM   #3
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENCHMARKMAN View Post
I'm looking to purchase a Ryzen CPU when it comes out next week and I would like your opinion on the best mid-range DDR 4 memory. I'm not looking to do any overclocking right now or in the near term future. I'm considering the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHZ CL15 memory. Any thoughts? Thank you!
In the UK that costs £160 or US $194 for 16gb. If you aren't going to overclock why don't you just save some money and get some plain vanilla 2400 ram?
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:04 PM   #4
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
In the UK that costs £160 or US $194 for 16gb. If you aren't going to overclock why don't you just save some money and get some plain vanilla 2400 ram?
That's about as "vanilla" as you can get when it comes to ram. It's also around $100 USD for that memory and cheaper if you wait for deals.
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:25 PM   #5
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I just purchased 16GB of 3600 RAM (so 20% faster than the aforementioned RAM) for $169. What did you do, go find the literal worst price you could? Overclockers.co.uk has 16GB of DDR4 3000 starting @ 114 pounds. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-...my-084-tg.html
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:27 PM   #6
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyx View Post
That's about as "vanilla" as you can get when it comes to ram. It's also around $100 USD for that memory and cheaper if you wait for deals.
Can you buy me some and I'll pay shipping? Stupid prices over here since Brexit vote FFS.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:31 PM   #7
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
I just purchased 16GB of 3600 RAM (so 20% faster than the aforementioned RAM) for $169. What did you do, go find the literal worst price you could? Overclockers.co.uk has 16GB of DDR4 3000 starting @ 114 pounds. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-...my-084-tg.html
Whoa that's hideous Chinese sh*t have you seen them RGB's. Never heard of them and they look horrendous Wouldn't like to RMA those.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:35 PM   #8
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Whoa that's hideous Chinese sh*t have you seen them RGB's. Never heard of them and they look horrendous Wouldn't like to RMA those.

You clearly don't know RAM. Team Group is one of the premier choices of overclockers.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:36 PM   #9
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Can you buy me some and I'll pay shipping? Stupid prices over here since Brexit vote FFS.
Not everybody lives in UK and I doubt Benchmarkman does...
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:44 PM   #10
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post

You clearly don't know RAM. Team Group is one of the premier choices of overclockers.
You're right I don't know anything about Ram and TBH I've never heard of Team Group. My bad I suppose. Having said that I've got Crucial 2400 (no XMP profile) and I can O/C stable at 5ghz on a Zalman CPNS5 air tower so would faster ram really help? Just asking.

Last edited by LordHawkwind : Feb 25, 2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 25, 2017, 05:27 PM   #11
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
You're right I don't know anything about Ram and TBH I've never heard of Team Group. My bad I suppose. Having said that I've got Crucial 2400 (no XMP profile) and I can O/C stable at 5ghz on a Zalman CPNS5 air tower so would faster ram really help? Just asking.
Ok, fair enough. RAM speed can make a difference. No one is suggesting a night and day difference, but you might get 5 FPS here, 10 FPS there. Some applications are more sensitive to memory bandwidth and latency than others. You will see less performance difference due to RAM speed in a game running @ say 4k vs. the same game running @ 1080p. Also, games that tend to be bottlenecked more by the CPU than the GPU also tend to benefit more from RAM speed as well. Think simulators and strategy games. My own testing with Flight Sim over the years has shown up to a 20% difference in FPS due to RAM speed alone.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:55 PM   #12
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

looking for about the same but 32gb that is not 2x the price of the mb

is it better on a amd Crosshair VI Hero to fill just two memory slots or all four ?

maybe

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...79&ignorebbr=1

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820232348

Last edited by bill dennison : Feb 26, 2017 at 01:03 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2017, 02:44 PM   #13
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
looking for about the same but 32gb that is not 2x the price of the mb

is it better on a amd Crosshair VI Hero to fill just two memory slots or all four ?

maybe

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...79&ignorebbr=1

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820232348
Ryzen is only dual channel so not sure if you'll see any benefit with four sticks. X99 on the other hand is quad channel so will probably benefit much more. Can't see it's worth the near $100 difference TBH. Each to their own I guess.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 07:23 AM   #14
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think you're better off with two slots. That allows you to potentially add more sticks later. Also the 2x16 GB is on sale, so it's a lot cheaper. Considering the price is lower, I'd definitely go with two sticks.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2017, 08:41 AM   #15
oasked
Stuck in the mud

oasked is still being judged by the masses

There's good prices to be had on Corsair 2 x 16Gb 3200Mhz DDR4 at the moment (the low profile versions). I bought myself a set recently ... although not used them yet as I need to buy the rest of the system

For those in the UK:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb...-16-18-18-36-x
Old Feb 27, 2017, 08:01 PM   #16
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Wow, the price of memory keeps going up. What cost $125 two months ago now costs $145. I bought some 3733 memory for about $160 in early January and now it's over $200...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31629...ng-better.html
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:24 AM   #17
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Corsair DDR 4 3000 2x8gb - $109 at Newegg, today is last day. Use Promo code: EMCRCCD33

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-852-_-Product

This would be the third set I bought. One in I7 rig (great ram), one for my daughters I5 rig and now Ryzen gig. This is same ram which is was sent out with many of the review kits.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote