Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber
Default LG OLED##CX Settings for PC Gaming

LG OLED48 *PURCHASED*
TV *MOUNTED*
SETTINGS *Too late... off to bed...*

So, I'm looking for the best PC Gaming settings for this absolutely amazing screen!

I found this little ditty on reddit: https://preview.redd.it/lcylyuw8p1b6...=webp&13764660

I know I missed "Setting the input to 'PC' in the Home Screen". That explains that lack of 120Hz and HDR.

What are you guys running?
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 01:26 PM   #2
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Even without input you can do 120hz and hdr.

You bought a Hdmi 2.1 cable?

Wait your specs say 2070, if that specs is current then you need 3080/6800 or whatever series for 4k/120hz.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 01:31 PM   #3
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Yeah first order of business is to bust your ass finding a 3000 series card after that we can talk
Seriously though:

I dont know if this was the picture you linked cause its broken but many of us went off of this:

If you dont have a 3000 series card youre probably best off going with 4k60 for desktop use and 1440p 120hz for gaming.

Clear Type off, HDR on in windows

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 20, 2021, 03:05 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Whoever made that chart for PC has no idea what they're doing. Why would you run vsync with a "max frame-rate" set, and GSYNC enabled? You're just introducing input lag via vsync for no reason. Enable max frame rate is fine I guess, even though you'll rarely hit above 120fps, but the combination of max frame-rate + vsync has to be one of the more stupid things I've seen.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 03:10 PM   #5
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The good thing about this TV is I've tried 1440P and it actually doesn't look like vaseline vision. Has a pretty good scaler the TV.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 03:25 PM   #6
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
The good thing about this TV is I've tried 1440P and it actually doesn't look like vaseline vision. Has a pretty good scaler the TV.
I used 1440P for a bit, and had to switch back to 4k or use 3840x1600. I tried...but 1440P is actually still quite blurry compared to 4k. If you jack up the AA crazy high, it's not so bad...but it's the distant details/objects that really stand out. But yeah, good to have options.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 06:47 PM   #7
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Whoever made that chart for PC has no idea what they're doing. Why would you run vsync with a "max frame-rate" set, and GSYNC enabled? You're just introducing input lag via vsync for no reason. Enable max frame rate is fine I guess, even though you'll rarely hit above 120fps, but the combination of max frame-rate + vsync has to be one of the more stupid things I've seen.
I've always enabled Vsync in the control panel along with Gsync. I believe it's even recommended directly from Nvidia that way. Vsync off in-game.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 06:55 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghastlyone View Post
I've always enabled Vsync in the control panel along with Gsync. I believe it's even recommended directly from Nvidia that way. Vsync off in-game.
Try it without it. I've ran gsync since it came out and I've never ran it with vsync; the whole point of gsync is to sync your monitor with your framerate, so what's the point of vsync then? all it's doing is adding input lag. The max frame rate setting is useful if you're playing a game that has high enough framerate to exceed the max refresh rate of your monitor, but other than that.. nope.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:29 PM   #9
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Updated system specs.

I had to set input to “PC” in the home screen to get 120Hz. I have an issue now where “Instant Game Response” keeps resetting when browsing. My guess is it’s a conflict between a Windows setting and the TV.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 10:11 AM   #10
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

So, if I have G-sync on in Nvidia control, do I need it on in games too?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:37 PM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

What game has an option to enable GSync in-game?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 01:03 PM   #12
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghastlyone View Post
I think that's backwards. If you have a gsync monitor you set vsync to off as the monitor is doing adaptive sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
So, if I have G-sync on in Nvidia control, do I need it on in games too?
No, that's a CP option only. Turn off vsync in all games.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Jan 23, 2021 at 02:23 PM.
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2021, 01:36 PM   #13
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
I think that's backwards. If you have a gsync monitor you set vsync to of as the monitor is doing adaptive sync.

No, that's a CP option only. Turn off vsync in all games.
thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2021, 02:23 PM   #14
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
thanks!
Anytime.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:38 PM   #15
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

What are you guys doing for the desktop background image? Black screen and hide the icons seem popular but boring.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:59 PM   #16
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
What are you guys doing for the desktop background image? Black screen and hide the icons seem popular but boring.
That's what I've been doing. But hell, I was hiding icons and using an all black screen for the past 10 years...nevermind OLED.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2021, 11:19 PM   #17
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Hiding icons I believe is necessary but you can have rotating backgrounds.
I don’t use my OLED as primary display only for certain games.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 08:17 PM   #18
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...cxpua/14516295

Is this the LG OLED tv everyone's spewing about for pc gaming? Do I have the right one? I'll keep my eye on it for later this year.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 08:19 PM   #19
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...cxpua/14516295

Is this the LG OLED tv everyone's spewing about for pc gaming? Do I have the right one? I'll keep my eye on it for later this year.

That is indeed the 55 inch version. A lot of people are springing for the 48 inch version(it cost more slightly) because it fits on a desk better than a 55.

Old Jan 29, 2021, 08:40 PM   #20
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
That is indeed the 55 inch version. A lot of people are springing for the 48 inch version(it cost more slightly) because it fits on a desk better than a 55.
Thanks for answering my second question. The 48" costs $100 more. Even with that explanation I'm not sure why?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 09:01 PM   #21
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
Thanks for answering my second question. The 48" costs $100 more. Even with that explanation I'm not sure why?

The way they are manufactured basically. Long story short its more cost efficient to make 55 inch tvs vs 48 inch.

I had the same option of going for the cheaper 55 vs the more 48 but the 55 is just too big on my desk and Im not sitting on a couch. If you got the space to sit further back I would go 55 just to save money.

Read through the later parts of this thread where we discuss the TV a bit and our experiences. 3-4 ragers picked up the TV. : http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051317

Last edited by logical : Jan 29, 2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 02:15 AM   #22
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I have no icons but I have the ps3 style wave background.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 09:28 AM   #23
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The way they are manufactured basically. Long story short its more cost efficient to make 55 inch tvs vs 48 inch.

I had the same option of going for the cheaper 55 vs the more 48 but the 55 is just too big on my desk and Im not sitting on a couch. If you got the space to sit further back I would go 55 just to save money.

Read through the later parts of this thread where we discuss the TV a bit and our experiences. 3-4 ragers picked up the TV. : http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051317
Still a zero complaint, zero regret purchase for me. Best $$ spent in a long time

edit: I have no idea how LG is going to outdo this on their next model. I can't imagine...
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:13 AM   #24
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

really all they can do is improve brightness, make a way that the panel doesn't have a aggressive ABL, improved internal hardware for AI based upscaling/image improvement etc, and more tech to reduce burn in somehow.

Beyond that they will just slowly edge to 8K panels like they're already slowly doing, and more panel sizes.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 01:07 PM   #25
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
really all they can do is improve brightness, make a way that the panel doesn't have a aggressive ABL, improved internal hardware for AI based upscaling/image improvement etc, and more tech to reduce burn in somehow.

Beyond that they will just slowly edge to 8K panels like they're already slowly doing, and more panel sizes.
Ah, see, this shows there really is such a thing as blissful ignorance Coming off the panel I was using before, the CX is just balm for the eyes lol.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2021, 02:06 AM   #26
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

They can move from organic LED to inorganic LED so it does not deteriorate over time.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 04:16 PM   #27
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There is still some work (got a 65" CX), this ain't a monitor. It's a fun display though

Try some moving shadow details at low brightness, and spot the brightness overshoot. Dark hair, fade in/outs. Makes me so mad as the B7 didn't have that. All I've been able to do is increase the RGB low levels in White Balance and set Brightness to 55-61, basically emulating amy old plasma where pixels "stay lit" to avoid the issue. Unbelievable.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:50 PM   #28
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Wholy crap, Microcenter is blowing out probably some last open box non-refurb 55" C9's for $420.

Edit: I need another TV like ummmm, I don't, Couldn't pass it up, reserved one, will see how this looks. Will use as a second monitor to my Sony 65" on top of an old 41" Projection TV. Hopefully it fits in my little SUV.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Feb 2, 2021 at 01:06 PM.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2021, 01:22 PM   #29
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Wholy crap, Microcenter is blowing out probably some last open box non-refurb 55" C9's for $420.

Edit: I need another TV like ummmm, I don't, Couldn't pass it up, reserved one, will see how this looks. Will use as a second monitor to my Sony 65" on top of an old 41" Projection TV. Hopefully it fits in my little SUV.
420 for a C9 sounds like a steal. Did you throw out your Sony yet?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 01:29 PM   #30
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
420 for a C9 sounds like a steal. Did you throw out your Sony yet?
I might have to after I stick this one close by to it. hopefully there is nothing wrong with it since its open box. but for the price I was like what the hell.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote