Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Old May 18, 2011, 03:58 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

too bad I can't compare my score to other 6970 users because they all cheat and disable tessellations. >_<
Old May 18, 2011, 03:59 PM   #152
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
More like going into the 17k club simply by matching his GPU clocks ...
17K club???? Is that the "We wish we were in the REAL 20K club, but because we can't, we'll make a new lower club?"

Can make the 6K club in PCmark? Cause you know how important us 6K clubbers are
Old May 18, 2011, 04:00 PM   #153
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I bet you could make the 20K club with a pair of GTX590's instead of 3 580's. But I'd rather have the 3 580's for real stuff beyond artificial drag racing, so you made a good choice!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 18, 2011, 04:11 PM   #154
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
17K club???? Is that the "We wish we were in the REAL 20K club, but because we can't, we'll make a new lower club?"

Can make the 6K club in PCmark? Cause you know how important us 6K clubbers are

Seriously, do people not read my posts completely, or maybe simply ignore certain parts, because i remember saying that i had only installed the water blocks this monday and still discovering just how far i can take the video cards, and it'll be weeks until i've done everything i can to squeeze every once of performance out of them, including flashing the video card BIOS to allow higher voltage limits, wich the water cooling can handle...

I remember saying that at least 1 or 2 times...
Old May 18, 2011, 04:13 PM   #155
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

how long can it take to overclock gpus. I know it takes me like 15 mins tops.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:13 PM   #156
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I bet you could make the 20K club with a pair of GTX590's instead of 3 580's. But I'd rather have the 3 580's for real stuff beyond artificial drag racing, so you made a good choice!

I'd rather add a fourth GTX580 since there's going to be a revision of the GTX590 with a more beefed up VRM setup with the current cards....Supposedly it'll be out in june.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:21 PM   #157
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
how long can it take to overclock gpus. I know it takes me like 15 mins tops.

When you start playing in the 900+ Mhz range, it's a whole new ballgame and gets tougher as the 1 Ghz barrier is attempted and yes luck plays a hand in as one weaker card that simply won't overclock as well can ruin your day.

So far i've been applying the same clocks on all 3 cards, but there will be a point where the clocks will be different on all 3, simply because each one has it's own limits, no matter how much voltage is thrown at them or how well they're cooled, they simply can't handle more...

You can guess that at that point, it's no longer a 15 minute operation...
Old May 18, 2011, 04:23 PM   #158
Roadhog_
Sausages

Quote:
When you start playing in the 900+ Mhz range, it's a whole new ballgame and gets tougher as the 1 Ghz barrier is attempted and yes luck plays a hand in as one weaker card that simply won't overclock as well can ruin your day.

So far i've been applying the same clocks on all 3 cards, but there will be a point where the clocks will be different on all 3, simply because each one has it's own limits, no matter how much voltage is thrown at them or how well they're cooled, they simply can't handle more...

You can guess that at that point, it's no longer a 15 minute operation...
LOLWUT you apply different clocks to each card? You know the cards can only be as fast as the slowest one....

Also, I can do 1ghz easy.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:23 PM   #159
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Seriously, do people not read my posts completely, or maybe simply ignore certain parts, because i remember saying that i had only installed the water blocks this monday and still discovering just how far i can take the video cards, and it'll be weeks until i've done everything i can to squeeze every once of performance out of them, including flashing the video card BIOS to allow higher voltage limits, wich the water cooling can handle...

I remember saying that at least 1 or 2 times...
You can SAY whatever you want. Doesn't mean I won't harrass and give ya hell anyway! I told ya, I'm just having fun picking on ya. It's not mean spirited or anything, it should drive you to new heights as Cavey did for me hitting 5Ghz

But as has clearly been shown, when I think you're right, or maybe just not as wrong as is being said, I have shown support for you. I do keep my harrassment of you balanced

Last edited by moshpit : May 18, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:35 PM   #160
shadow001

Quote:
LOLWUT you apply different clocks to each card? You know the cards can only be as fast as the slowest one....

Also, I can do 1ghz easy.

Not quite.....See one of the problems with 3Dmark is that it only reports the clocks of 1 card even if you might have 4 in them in SLI of crossfire, so assuming that all 4 are clocked the same might surprise you...

Also, look at the highest score in the 3Dmark database, and if i'm not mistaken, the cards are running at an insane 1250Mhz GPU speed to get a 25K score going...

No matter what the cooling is or how much voltage is showed into the card, what are the odds of finding 4 cards that overclock that high, wich is 450 Mhz higher than stock....Very small, and the teams that pulled off those massive scores and deserve all the credit in the world, probably went thru a few dozen cards until they found 4 of them that could do it, much like going thru several CPU's to find the one that clocks to the moon and back on much less voltage....

Current GTX580's ship with a V-core as low as 1.016 to 1.063 and it seems that the ones that use the lowest voltage are the ones that overclock the highest right off the bat regardless of cooling....I have 1 at 1.025 and the other 2 at 1.050, so not the best but not the worst either...
Old May 18, 2011, 04:36 PM   #161
shadow001

Quote:
You can SAY whatever you want. Doesn't mean I won't harrass and give ya hell anyway! I told ya, I'm just having fun picking on ya. It's not mean spirited or anything, it should drive you to new heights as Cavey did for me hitting 5Ghz

But as has clearly been shown, when I think you're right, or maybe just not as wrong as is being said, I have shown support for you. I do keep my harrassment of you balanced

Old May 18, 2011, 04:46 PM   #162
Roadhog_
Sausages

Quote:
Not quite.....See one of the problems with 3Dmark is that it only reports the clocks of 1 card even if you might have 4 in them in SLI of crossfire, so assuming that all 4 are clocked the same might surprise you...

But the gpus will only be as fast as the slowest clocked one so there is no point in setting them at different clock speeds.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:55 PM   #163
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Man you guys are gonna give shadow an aneurism before it's all said and done .
Old May 18, 2011, 04:56 PM   #164
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yeah, it gets tiresome to read after awhile
I'd be pissed replying to these 2 over and over.

Though I have to agree, there is no point in doing seperate clocks for each card, it's going to be limited by the slowest card for real world ****, I'm not sure if it will make a difference for going for record benches. I doubt it, though.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old May 18, 2011, 04:57 PM   #165
shadow001

Quote:
But the gpus will only be as fast as the slowest clocked one so there is no point in setting them at different clock speeds.

Assuming that they're maxed out on all cores in terms of workload at the software level, and if they were then increasing the CPU speed wouldn't make a difference, but it obviously does at least at the performance setting as scores keep increasing....In short, the GPU's are wating for the CPU to send them the data they need and they need it ASAP.

If we're talking about the extreme setting, then the workload for the GPU's is much more intense at the software level and changing the CPU speed might not make as large a difference or even any difference at all in the graphics scores of those 4 tests....In that GPU demanding environment where the cards are pushed much harder, identical clock speeds across all 3 cards might very well make a much larger difference in overall performance.

Last edited by shadow001 : May 18, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:59 PM   #166
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Man you guys are gonna give shadow an aneurism before it's all said and done .

At least now we're exchanging ideas and noot simply smart ass remarks...
Old May 18, 2011, 05:14 PM   #167
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
At least now we're exchanging ideas and noot simply smart ass remarks...
But... but... Where's the FUN in that???
Old May 18, 2011, 05:52 PM   #168
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yay for new drivers. Broke 11K with no changes besides the driver.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old May 18, 2011, 06:12 PM   #169
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yay for new drivers. Broke 11K with no changes besides the driver.
The new beta 275.27? Still haven't tried em yet.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:23 PM   #170
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
The new beta 275.27? Still haven't tried em yet.
Yes sir.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:26 PM   #171
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yes sir.
Will check em out!
Old May 18, 2011, 11:33 PM   #172
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Everything I've tried so far has been mildly better. Going to run PCMark 7 real quick.
Old May 20, 2011, 03:59 AM   #173
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

There's nothing wrong with Shadow using the last official driver, infact if I'm scoring better than him with the same driver that should indiciate there is something up with his system.

I might try for a bench session this weekend if I can get time, I have the highest score at ocau and beat even all AMD quad systems... http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=934574

You will also notice Barnzz with top single, dual and tri AMD is my m8. We know whats going on when it come to performance in both real world and synthetic scenarios despite what these clowns around here and other forums say, and we have the numbers to prove it.

Last edited by demo : May 20, 2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:28 AM   #174
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
There's nothing wrong with Shadow using the last official driver, infact if I'm scoring better than him with the same driver that should indiciate there is something up with his system.

I might try for a bench session this weekend if I can get time, I have the highest score at ocau and beat even all AMD quad systems... http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=934574

You will also notice Barnzz with top single, dual and tri AMD is my m8. We know whats going on when it come to performance in both real world and synthetic scenarios despite what these clowns around here and other forums say, and we have the numbers to prove it.
Then why can't you score in PCMark and only in 3Dmark well? That doesn't sound very much like you "know what your doing" very well at all. Sounds like you missed an important little detail. Hmmmm, wonder what it was?
Old May 20, 2011, 09:04 PM   #175
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Pcmark doesnt reflect gaming performance.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:16 PM   #176
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Pcmark doesnt reflect gaming performance.
Actually, ever play Sins of a Solar Empire? Dx9 and single threaded. Lots of casual games come as Dx9 and single threaded only, even today. So, in fact, when considering the casual/indie gaming market is booming today, I'd say you were wrong on even that point.

Just run the test already. I'd razz ya a lot less if you hadn't wanted to argue so much instead of just posting your score in the PCMark thread
Old May 20, 2011, 09:23 PM   #177
demo
space cadet

Actually I used to play sins a fair bit, never had an issue with it even in 3D, always locked at 60fps vsync even with a buttload of units.

The only 3D performance test that Pcmark7 does is a DX9 test in windowed mode iirc with what looks like the old 3dmark 06 firefly test, hardly an indication of current high end gaming ability.

And as I already said I scored around 5k in Pcmark7, however I have 6 HDD's and a mid range SSD comparable with an OCZ vertex 2 which effects scores a lot. I'm sure if I had only an OCZ vertex 3 SSD for instance my Pcmark7 score would change a lot, however my gaming performance and 3Dmark11 score would be the same.

Pcmark7 has its place, but it doesnt reflect gaming performance.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:10 PM   #178
demo
space cadet

Back on topic, here's some more 3Dmark11 scores-

Tri- P17430 3DMarks http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1237396

Dual- P13337 3DMarks http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1237419
Old May 20, 2011, 11:10 PM   #179
Roadhog_
Sausages

Quote:

Dual- P13337 3DMarks http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1237419
1337. O_O
Old May 20, 2011, 11:12 PM   #180
demo
space cadet

yer I liked it