Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 26, 2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 64GB

how is this tablet, looking for reading with nook and kindle apps and some video watching and internet, my ipad 2 is getting too slow and they say don't upgrade to ios8 so that mat get to be a problem with apps down the road
my amazon & BoA merchant services credit card processing apps don't work with wp8 yet so I use my tablet for that to and the S pen will be better for that
you should see people signing with a finger
but that means ios or android

I don't want to buy apple anymore and if they do ever make a 12" ipad pro most likely it will cost 2k

was looking at the new nook but 16gb and 1280 x 800 is to low
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/sams...nes +noblethe

the Fire HDX 8.9 Tablet, Wi-Fi 64gb is smaller than I want and 500 bucks so I can get a 12" full android tab for 250 more

the surface pro 3 i like but would want the 256gb and it is just to much at 1300 bucks
I think i'll wait for pro 4 and hope for cheaper on that

the android sd card slot is kind of useless if you can't load apps on it

how well do they hold up and how good is Samsung on updates and new android versions

and with android 5 coming out should I wait till new models come out
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:25 PM   #2
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

A 12" tablet for reading? I like your thinking about the screen size, having poor vision myself, but the form factor sounds like it would be too big to hold for long periods of time.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

My 10.1 2014 edition is still on 4.2.2. Overall it's not a bad unit, but it does have trouble displaying things like..say the funny gif page, and certain websites don't render properly regardless of browser. Text overlays text, things like that.

I'm rather disillusioned with it, especially as my note 3 is running the same 4.2.2 and does everything flawlessly.

I won't buy another Sammy tablet. A google or LG product will probably be my next one if I don't grab the ipad mini3 I've been looking at.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:51 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
A 12" tablet for reading? I like your thinking about the screen size, having poor vision myself, but the form factor sounds like it would be too big to hold for long periods of time.
it's only 2 inches taller and a half inch wider than a reader I had for years
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/REB_1200
and about a half pound lighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
My 10.1 2014 edition is still on 4.2.2. Overall it's not a bad unit, but it does have trouble displaying things like..say the funny gif page, and certain websites don't render properly regardless of browser. Text overlays text, things like that.

I'm rather disillusioned with it, especially as my note 3 is running the same 4.2.2 and does everything flawlessly.

I won't buy another Sammy tablet. A google or LG product will probably be my next one if I don't grab the ipad mini3 I've been looking at.

its about the only android 12 inch out there

and coming from a ipad most websites don't render properly
plus the no flash thing

wonder when the 2015's will be out if early q1 I may just wait
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:58 PM   #5
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

plus the no flash thing

It's all relative. If you're used to something that's a good deal heavier that seems like a win/win scenario to me.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

plus the no flash thing

I guess you're screwed then

Seriously, I'm not really happy with any of them right now, and have just been adjusting text size on my note 3. Oddly enough, it's working very well.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 02:13 PM   #7
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I guess you're screwed then

Seriously, I'm not really happy with any of them right now, and have just been adjusting text size on my note 3. Oddly enough, it's working very well.
yea

would almost just go with the surface pro 3 but both the nook and kindle apps suck on windows 8 when compared to ios and android
the nook app is better but don't like the sliding page turning

don't know if or when Microsoft Consumer Reader will be out or a nook app for my WP8 1520, Microsoft took it over but are slower than B&N it seems

and the kindle app on my 1520 if I adjusting text size I get 4 or 5 words on the screen at a time
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:33 PM   #8
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
So glad you posted that. I've been planning on getting a tablet on BF and the Note 10.1 is on my list. But damn....a >$450 tablet should be without issues, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
So glad you posted that. I've been planning on getting a tablet on BF and the Note 10.1 is on my list. But damn....a >$450 tablet should be without issues, period.
My buddy just rooted his and is running ....hyper sense??? or something like that, and says all issues are gone for him. That's fine, but I shouldn't have to root to get decent performance from a >$450 device.

I'd look to Google or LG, forget the 10.1.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
yea

would almost just go with the surface pro 3 but both the nook and kindle apps suck on windows 8 when compared to ios and android
the nook app is better but don't like the sliding page turning

don't know if or when Microsoft Consumer Reader will be out or a nook app for my WP8 1520, Microsoft took it over but are slower than B&N it seems

and the kindle app on my 1520 if I adjusting text size I get 4 or 5 words on the screen at a time
Well that sucks.

Every time I think I have a new device nailed for purchase, something comes along to make me rethink it.

Might just say the heck with it this go around, stick with my note 3.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Mark3264
Radeon R300

Mark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Which version of the Note 10.1 2014 tablet do you have? I have the Wifi only tablet that has a different chipset than the Wifi+4g version. Still have unlimited data from verizon so I just use my phone as a hotspot. This one is on 4.4.2 and havent had any problems so far. All webpages seem to render fine here. Which websites have you visited so I can give them a try?

***edit***
Here are the model numbers:
SM-P600 (Wifi)
SM-P601 (3G & Wifi)
SM-P605 (LTE, 3G & Wifi)
SM-P607 (LTE, 3G & Wifi)

I have the p600

Last edited by Mark3264 : Oct 27, 2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added models
Mark3264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:39 PM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3264 View Post
Which version of the Note 10.1 2014 tablet do you have? I have the Wifi only tablet that has a different chipset than the Wifi+4g version. Still have unlimited data from verizon so I just use my phone as a hotspot. This one is on 4.4.2 and havent had any problems so far. All webpages seem to render fine here. Which websites have you visited so I can give them a try?

***edit***
Here are the model numbers:
SM-P600 (Wifi)
SM-P601 (3G & Wifi)
SM-P605 (LTE, 3G & Wifi)
SM-P607 (LTE, 3G & Wifi)

I have the p600
I have the p600 also.

Page rendering errors are random, so I'm guessing it's software related. Newegg is one of the best examples, most common, with ads/text overlaying each other. I've seen it here on the forum as well.

The other issue, which I understand there's a fix for, but I haven't gotten that update yet, is constantly dropping my wireless connectivity. The best I can do to verify it isn't my router are side by side comparisons with my note 3. I can flip page to page to site all day long on the note 3, while the tablet will drop out every 2-5 minutes on me, or more.

It's maddening lol.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:57 PM   #13
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

question

is there a way or app to Bluetooth transfer pictures from my 1520 windows phone to android tablet ?

without data or wifi on a job at a customers house
if I take pictures with phone to show to a customer would be nice to send them to the bigger screen tablet, tablets are to hard to carry up a latter or into a attic

and anything I use at work is tax deductible
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:27 PM   #14
Mark3264
Radeon R300

Mark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I have the p600 also.

Page rendering errors are random, so I'm guessing it's software related. Newegg is one of the best examples, most common, with ads/text overlaying each other. I've seen it here on the forum as well.

The other issue, which I understand there's a fix for, but I haven't gotten that update yet, is constantly dropping my wireless connectivity. The best I can do to verify it isn't my router are side by side comparisons with my note 3. I can flip page to page to site all day long on the note 3, while the tablet will drop out every 2-5 minutes on me, or more.

It's maddening lol.
Strange. I checked out both sites but I've used them before also with no issues. Since you mentioned the wifi problem, I actually do run into it but everytime it disconnects, it reconnects in 1 second. Only seems to happen when it's idle and has never disconnected me when I'm actively using it. Has never done it during large file transfers or streaming either.
Mark3264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:04 AM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3264 View Post
Strange. I checked out both sites but I've used them before also with no issues. Since you mentioned the wifi problem, I actually do run into it but everytime it disconnects, it reconnects in 1 second. Only seems to happen when it's idle and has never disconnected me when I'm actively using it. Has never done it during large file transfers or streaming either.
I started to reply to this earlier on the tablet, but it kept disconnecting me.

The page rendering issues are random across all browsers I've tried, chrome, dolphin, the samsung stock (is that safari?)...and the samsung seems to be the worst. It's definitely a YMMV thing as I can open a site on the tablet and see errors, and open it on the same browser on my note 3 and have a clear, properly rendered page. I may try a reset and see if that helps, pretty much all I can think of doing at the moment, shy of rooting and romming it.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:04 PM   #16
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

extended warranties on a tablets

worth it or not ?

still looking at the 12.2 32gb

best buys wants 350 for 3 years Accidental Damage must cover intentional grounding

amazon wants 117 for SquareTrade 3-Year Tablet Protection Plan

or buy from Samsung and get 3-year ESP Coverage with ADH - Tablet - Band2
TA-ADH2-PB2 for 140

fry's wants 189 for just hardware warranty no Accidental Damage

Walmart of all places wants 89 for
2 Year Drop, Spill and Cracked Screen Service Plan for Tablets
Old Nov 2, 2014, 05:38 PM   #17
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I passed on the extended warranty for mine and wish I hadn't. At least a year extended where ever you buy from.

edit: make sure you get accidental bill. I still can't believe how easily my screen cracked. And I baby the heck out of my stuff.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:41 AM   #18
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I passed on the extended warranty for mine and wish I hadn't. At least a year extended where ever you buy from.

edit: make sure you get accidental bill. I still can't believe how easily my screen cracked. And I baby the heck out of my stuff.
thanks what I wanted to know
I got it on my 1520 and 4s and ipad 2 and never had to use it

I may get the 3 year from Samsung by the end it will be obsolete anyway
need to call them and ask a few things first
Old Nov 3, 2014, 01:06 PM   #19
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
thanks what I wanted to know
I got it on my 1520 and 4s and ipad 2 and never had to use it

I may get the 3 year from Samsung by the end it will be obsolete anyway
need to call them and ask a few things first

I won't say anything stupid about never buying another Samsung tablet, but I definitely won't buy one without the extra protection. I'll never get decent money back on this one now. Might just cough up the cash to fix the screen and flash that sucker and keep using it.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 01:50 PM   #20
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Looks like it'll be spectacular for drawing.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 02:59 PM   #21
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

I won't say anything stupid about never buying another Samsung tablet, but I definitely won't buy one without the extra protection. I'll never get decent money back on this one now. Might just cough up the cash to fix the screen and flash that sucker and keep using it.
well got it with the 3 year from Samsung
Quote:
Samsung 3 years of coverage from Date of Purchase Tablet Accidental Damage from Handling Extended Service Plan
since the warranty is covered by Samsung and not a 3rd party if it does f up or break they should know how to fix best I hope

keep looking and the screen is just so nice looking

I do hope they update it longer than asus did my transformer tf101, and they update it to 5 soon

3 nooks, a old transformer, a old ipad 2 and my 1520 phone and now this i'm nuts
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:10 PM   #22
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
well got it with the 3 year from Samsung

since the warranty is covered by Samsung and not a 3rd party if it does f up or break they should know how to fix best I hope
That's what I'm going to do should I buy another. Got to get a price to get mine fixed now.

Quote:
keep looking and the screen is just so nice looking

I do hope they update it longer than asus did my transformer tf101, and they update it to 5 soon

3 nooks, a old transformer, a old ipad 2 and my 1520 phone and now this i'm nuts
Ayuh
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:12 PM   #23
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Looks like it'll be spectacular for drawing.
I've used Sketchup and Sketchbook Pro on my 10.1 and it really is sweet. I'm severely held back by my lack of talent though lol.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:14 PM   #24
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I've used Sketchup and Sketchbook Pro on my 10.1 and it really is sweet. I'm severely held back by my lack of talent though lol.
when it comes to drawing a few more years and I should be able to master stick figures
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:15 PM   #25
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
when it comes to drawing a few more years and I should be able to master stick figures
I'm close! I just keep adding too many arms and stuff
Old Nov 5, 2014, 06:42 PM   #26
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

ordered Monday showed up at the door today, glad i didn't pay for fast shipping

it nice so far got to get it setup and find a case I like
Old Nov 5, 2014, 07:52 PM   #27
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
ordered Monday showed up at the door today, glad i didn't pay for fast shipping

it nice so far got to get it setup and find a case I like
Hope you enjoy it
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:19 PM   #28
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

ram mount is coming out with a car mount & dock for it that looks interesting

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...9/Default.aspx

and others tables and phones
http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...8/Default.aspx