Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:42 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
You also forgot: lighter, thinner, much clearer screen and better build quality.
I forgot nothing, those criteria don't matter to me. Both phones are thin and light enough that it doesn't have any bearing on my use. I've found the S3 a bit awkward to pocket and the iPhone 5 will probably be less so by a small margin. But even still it's not a functional issue.

Screen differences remain to be seen and build quality is meaningless as long as it's assembled properly. The S3 sporting gorilla glass should get an advantage as well, though I always slap screen protectors on my iPhones so the difference is somewhat negligible.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:46 PM   #152
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Sites that don't offer alternatives to Flash or have mobile variants. Basically being able to pull up any web site and having a desktop-like browsing experience. There's not a TON of websites that don't display properly on iOS but it's still an annoyance when I need info from one and it just can't be done on an iPhone.
Hm, non factor for me. Most sites that I browse do not use flash for anything other than videos. Most of those sites use something thats compatible with the iPhone so its not a big deal for me. I dont think I have been to a website on my iPhone that did not display the same as on a desktop.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:01 PM   #153
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
The galaxy evolutions are basically the same phone with bigger faster, longer, fatter.

iPhone evolutions have always been smaller, thinner, faster, longer.

I recall a quote from Einstein about which one is a stroke of genius and which is anyone can do.
Aside from the phone being faster and bigger the OS platform it sits on has changed. Touchwiz which is made by samsung has changed as well. While not a fan of touchwiz myself it does have some nifty features. Look at touchwiz on the first galaxy and touch wiz on a s3 not even including froyo vs jelly bean.

Samsung could make a smaller 4inch version which is part in that whole rumor about the s3 mini with a 4inch screen. Look at the htc one S excellent use of materials. 4.3inch screen and very slim. Anyone of the big phone manu can make an iphone 5. Each galaxy revision has had increased battery life, slimmer, bigger and better screen and ofc big android improvements.

Iphone in each revision has had either better, similar or in one case worse battery life. Screen remained the same till 4 then stayed the same till 5. IOS looks just like it does on my ancient iphone 8gb navigating around. And no each revision of iphone has not been thinner either. Until 4 and 5. Also, another thing to build quality. Good materials do not auto = build quality. Think about how many cracked back and screens iphones 4s there are. It's not uncommon that someone might in the course of 2yrs drop their phone, so why include a glass that cracks so easy.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Sep 12, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:24 PM   #154
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
The galaxy evolutions are basically the same phone with bigger faster, longer, fatter.

iPhone evolutions have always been smaller, thinner, faster, longer.

I recall a quote from Einstein about which one is a stroke of genius and which is anyone can do.
Samsung has been getting thinner not fatter I swear you post from an alternate reality.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:25 PM   #155
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ok well it doesnt matter. Its been announced, its being released very soon, and whats important is that it'll print money.

But no one has mentioned its game changing feature....thebigger screen brings with it...(wait for it)......ONE EXTRA ROW OF ICONS!!!
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:28 PM   #156
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The S3 is still thinner than the iPhone5 (judging from pics)... lolwat
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:30 PM   #157
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The S3 is still thinner than the iPhone5 (judging from pics)... lolwat
I think the S3 is one mm thicker.

Yep, 7.6 vs 8.6mm. Here's a quick comparison between Ip5, S3 and Lumia 920.

Last edited by Cynicalking : Sep 12, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:31 PM   #158
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Ha, I saw that guy at a convention last friday. He was amazing. He was quite open about his hate for Apple though he made a better case than most.

As for the phone, I think we're past the point where new hardware is going to make big impressions. We've reached a point where the OS will be the differentiator.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:43 PM   #159
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman View Post
Ha, I saw that guy at a convention last friday. He was amazing. He was quite open about his hate for Apple though he made a better case than most.

As for the phone, I think we're past the point where new hardware is going to make big impressions. We've reached a point where the OS will be the differentiator.
Your right the hardware doesn't need to be much more for now just more efficient. The os is the determining factor in which case one side is loosing rapidly. Had the iphone 5 included some type of widget syste, a home screen (or something), 4.2-4.4inches (the increase in size was not needed at all for with those kind of thick bezels), easy of access gestures like swipping a contact left to text, right to call, simple UI shortcuts (so its not spamming the home button to do anything), nfc included I would of switched from my s3 with no hesitations.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:56 PM   #160
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

To me I don't think hardware or the os is a differentiator. Apps are the differentiator, ios has better apps hands down and more of them. Every time I go to look for a app (that is essential to me on iOs) for our nexus 7, I have to settle for some inferior knock off or the app doesn't exist. I am aware that the big hitters like facebook, netflix etc.. are available. I will admit the iphone 5 does nothing for me and I think apple is stale, I am hoping when I am up for an upgrade those windows phones and their ecosystem will have blown up, cuz those phones look awesome and so does that os. and I always laugh when people complain about no widgets, really a weather widget gets you excited? hmm how about a calendar widget woohoo i have a boner..and all those swipe gestures, really youd switch with no hesitations? really? you know you can jailbreak and do all those things now, and they aren't very exciting, within a day you'd go ok, wow im bored.

Last edited by t0adp1p3 : Sep 12, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:03 PM   #161
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
To me I don't think hardware or the os is a differentiator. Apps are the differentiator, ios has better apps hands down and more of them. Every time I go to look for a app (that is essential to me on iOs) for our nexus 7, I have to settle for some inferior knock off or the app doesn't exist. I am aware that the big hitters like facebook, netflix etc.. are available. I will admit the iphone 5 does nothing for me and I think apple is stale, I am hoping when I am up for an upgrade those windows phones and their ecosystem will have blown up, cuz those phones look awesome and so does that os.
I agree and I think that's where I'm stuck. Something like the S3 has a more featured OS (though I'm not a fan of widgets and overly-customized UIs) but it isn't enough to offset the missing apps/games.

I think I'm leaning towards getting an iPhone 5 just because I already have the games/apps I want on iOS.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:11 PM   #162
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

I'd be happy just with a multi-user OS. I've no idea how Android/WinRT handle this but the current state of iOS is bafflingly stupid in this regard.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:17 PM   #163
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
If you look at the used material as well as development and engineering processes involved, the iPhone certainly is the German premium car under the phones. The attention to detail and user friendliness is unmatched.

The selling in volume part is because the iPhones are dirt cheap compared to a Mercedes or BMW
implying german premium cars are user friendly. They each have different retarded interfaces that take hours to figure out. The only one who hasn't ****ed that up is Porsche IMHO.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:19 PM   #164
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
To me I don't think hardware or the os is a differentiator. Apps are the differentiator, ios has better apps hands down and more of them. Every time I go to look for a app (that is essential to me on iOs) for our nexus 7, I have to settle for some inferior knock off or the app doesn't exist. I am aware that the big hitters like facebook, netflix etc.. are available. I will admit the iphone 5 does nothing for me and I think apple is stale, I am hoping when I am up for an upgrade those windows phones and their ecosystem will have blown up, cuz those phones look awesome and so does that os. and I always laugh when people complain about no widgets, really a weather widget gets you excited? hmm how about a calendar widget woohoo i have a boner..and all those swipe gestures, really youd switch with no hesitations? really? you know you can jailbreak and do all those things now, and they aren't very exciting, within a day you'd go ok, wow im bored.
And yet apps depend on the features afforded by the OS. Such as proper multitasking...

iOS is the 'dumb' smartphone OS.

iPhone 5 does not leapfrog the competition in any relevant way. This is purely a catch-up they are doing.

Last edited by BackToPC : Sep 12, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:26 PM   #165
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
And yet apps depend on the features afforded by the OS. Such as proper multitasking...

iOS is the 'dumb' smartphone OS.

iPhone 5 does not leapfrog the competition in any relevant way. This is purely a catch-up they are doing.
Anything that really needs proper multitasking has it. Things will continue to run in the background.. like downloading something while browsing the web. Maps will run in the bg as well. What else needs to be running 100%?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:36 PM   #166
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

What apps are so horribly missing from Android?

I have everything I need on my phone, plus some Guild Wars 2 apps that aren't out on iOS apparently (according to the Rage guild we have)
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:46 PM   #167
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
AAA games for the most part. There's also niche apps that don't always have good quality alternatives. Some of my fitness apps don't exist on Android (even popular things like Nike apps).

All of the major big name apps are there as was pointed out before, but the selection and quality is just not available on Play if you're used to App Store.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:46 PM   #168
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Anything that really needs proper multitasking has it. Things will continue to run in the background.. like downloading something while browsing the web. Maps will run in the bg as well. What else needs to be running 100%?
Yeah, I don't get the "proper multitasking" argument. It was working fine for me 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:48 PM   #169
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

I have everything I need on my phone, plus some Guild Wars 2 apps that aren't out on iOS apparently (according to the Rage guild we have)
Like someone said, proper multitasking stock. I want to be able fill half the screen with a word processor and half the screen with a browser. There might be a few ROMs that may offer it. And some legit floating apps.

It makes more sense for tablets than 3 in screen phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:56 PM   #170
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

good gps apps with onboard maps that will work without data or wifi all day to find address all over town

or the closest home depot to where i'm at or starbucks elc.

if these two go Android or windows 8 i will drop my iphone and ipad in a minute

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=389&pID=98479

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/...for-iPhone-USA

and i can't see upgrading my 4s to this 5
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:12 PM   #171
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
How long do you think it will take for a ios 6 jailbreak? Yes I modded the crap outta my 4s to achieve what I could do on android like day 1? Add all those mods to your iphone and it will lag as a result. I am going to tell you the number one thing for android for me and it's called TITANIUM BACKUP. I have yet to find an iphone solution that will back my apps and anything else i want up and then restore with ease, without a pc, and without a cloud based storage. On top of that in the event my phone has issues when I restore it it doesn't wipe my entire phone. I have tinkered with plenty of cydia tweaks. You should know I have owned every single iphone gen and ipad gen and still use an ipad on day to day basis. Have you owned an android phone? Once you experience the convenience of widgets it's very hard to not have them. There's a widget for just about anything, weather and calendar are the utterly most simplistic of them.

I invite you to list some apps that you feel don't exist or have an equivalent on android. Outside of games I don't really see anything that's not there, even then that gap is closing with each big title release.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:16 PM   #172
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
good gps apps with onboard maps that will work without data or wifi all day to find address all over town

or the closest home depot to where i'm at or starbucks elc.

if these two go Android or windows 8 i will drop my iphone and ipad in a minute

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=389&pID=98479

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/...for-iPhone-USA

and i can't see upgrading my 4s to this 5
Google maps and navs can be precached and not use a data connection. Also Navfree or Navusa can download maps and not use a data connection. Mapdroyd will do the same as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.OSM.USA

nav free in playstore

Sygic gps does the same thing but uses tomtom maps

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Z2ljLmF1cmEiXQ..

Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:25 PM   #173
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Google maps and navs can be precached and not use a data connection. Also Navfree or Navusa can download maps and not use a data connection. Mapdroyd will do the same as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.OSM.USA

nav free in playstore
can't precache on the road when i'm working looking for peoples houses without running up my data bill
and i have navusa on my asus transformer i just don't like it as well

the garmin app Mirrors Navigation onto Kenwood's In-Dash System
http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...sh-system.html

Last edited by bill dennison : Sep 12, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:39 PM   #174
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Just look at your PC for examples of what you can do with true background processing.

-FTP server for wireless file transfer
-running a torrent
...etc

I am a developer and its a real bummer how much iOS restricts what I am able to do. There are simply many things I can do in android that I can't do in iOS because of its faux-multitasking.

Also, funny you mentioned downloading while browsing the web. I believe you meant to say "download an app from the app store" while browsing the web. Because IIRC, iOS doesnt want the user to know that there is a file system. So what exactly are you downloading via the browser? Only things that are s/mime registered with iOS as supported files, right?

Does iOS let you download new songs from the web (not iTunes music store) to add to your itunes library? Or movies? Or books?

iOS is really good at the things it lets you do. But when you take a step back and look at all the things it DOESN'T let you do, its rather disappointing.

Last edited by BackToPC : Sep 12, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:41 PM   #175
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
-running a torrent
...etc
On your phone?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:43 PM   #176
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryjs View Post
On your phone?
No, on my handheld ARM computer that happens to have a phone app...

Do I need 4 cores and gigs of ram to make a phone call? Rhetorical question.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:45 PM   #177
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
No, on my handheld ARM computer that happens to have a phone app...
Touche`, you must have a much better data plan than I...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:47 PM   #178
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryjs View Post
Touche`, you must have a much better data plan than I...
...but you cant even do those things on iOS via wifi...

data plans are a whole other topic, i recently got out of the hell of cell phone CONTRACTS. I just switched to straight talk $45 unlimited talk text and 3g.

never again will I sign one of those wallet sucking contracts. ugh...

I consider myself to have 'paid my dues' for being a smartphone early adopter. AT&T has been given many thousands of dollars for my iphone contracts over the years. But I'm done with all that now.

Last edited by BackToPC : Sep 12, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:52 PM   #179
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Just look at your PC for examples of what you can do with true background processing.

-running a torrent
...etc

I am a developer and its a real bummer how much iOS restricts what I am able to do. There are simply many things I can do in android that I can't do in iOS because of its faux-multitasking.

Also, funny you mentioned downloading while browsing the web. I believe you meant to say "download an app from the app store" while browsing the web. Because IIRC, iOS doesnt want the user to know that there is a file system. So what exactly are you downloading via the browser? Only things that are s/mime registered with iOS as supported files, right?

Does iOS let you download new songs from the web (not iTunes music store) to add to your itunes library? Or movies? Or books?

iOS is really good at the things it lets you do. But when you take a step back and look at all the things it DOESN'T let you do, its rather disappointing.
There are FTP apps that let you transfer wirelessly and they do work in the background while you do something else. I use FTP pro on the go(IIRC thats the name).

And no I didnt mean to say download apps from the app store, but you can do that too. There are browsers that will let you download anything you want off the internet. I have downloaded mp3s and even a few episodes of shows through the browser no problem. No they will not be added to your itunes playlist but they are and accessible if you want to watch/listen to them.

I am sure there are torrent programs, maybe not in the app store(maybe so) I dont know. Why anyone would want to torrent on their phone is beyond me. I know for sure there are torrent programs on cydia though.

iOS allows you to do plenty of things people just get confused as to what programs will let you do what. Apples own apps may not let you do things, but there are a plethora of apps that will pretty much cover every end of the spectrum for almost anything you need to do.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:53 PM   #180
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
...but you cant even do those things on iOS via wifi...
No, but unless that mobile device is the only computing device you have, why would you? Just seems like the least efficient tool for the job, and not very good examples of why real background operation is valuable.