Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 8, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Default Android market share leaves Apple in the dust

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/tech...html?hpt=hp_t3

Quote:
Google's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times more than the 17% market share held by Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500), according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC.

IDC, which tracks smartphone market share by operating system, said that nearly 105 million Android phones were shipped in the second quarter -- more than double the number shipped at the same time last year.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Is this market share judged by sales or total market share? It's not surprising Android is outselling iPhone but there's no way it has that much of the total pie.

Edit: appears to just be sales... Msm is so sloppy...

Last edited by Elysian : Aug 8, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I honestly don't think my next phone will be apple, but then again I honestly could care less who who has more of the market...I guess if I owned stock or something it would matter, but other than that I got nothing.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 8, 2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
I honestly don't think my next phone will be apple, but then again I honestly could care less who who has more of the market...I guess if I owned stock or something it would matter, but other than that I got nothing.
There are still reasons to care, aftermarket support like cases and accessories is important, Apple still takes the cake there, apps/games are definitely important, Android is catching up but Apple still rules the roost there. Marketshare definitely helps to shift these things though.

I'll give a personal example as a for instance... I own a Motorola Xyboard 10.1 (Asurion forced it upon me, I didn't buy it)... Motorola has already basically abandoned it and it was brand new in December. It has an upcoming ICS update but that's it. Accessories are non-existant, there aren't even cases for this piece of crap besides the generic ones. It's like the bastard child of the Android Tablet world. I swear, Chinese POS tablets have more support than this pile of crap.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
There are still reasons to care, aftermarket support like cases and accessories is important, Apple still takes the cake there, apps/games are definitely important, Android is catching up but Apple still rules the roost there. Marketshare definitely helps to shift these things though.

I'll give a personal example as a for instance... I own a Motorola Xyboard 10.1 (Asurion forced it upon me, I didn't buy it)... Motorola has already basically abandoned it and it was brand new in December. It has an upcoming ICS update but that's it. Accessories are non-existant, there aren't even cases for this piece of crap besides the generic ones. It's like the bastard child of the Android Tablet world. I swear, Chinese POS tablets have more support than this pile of crap.
It has such an awesome name though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:59 AM   #6
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Not surprising really, a few hundred if not more Android devices against 3 iPhones

It's the same with Windows and OS X.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Not surprising really, a few hundred if not more Android devices against 3 iPhones

It's the same with Windows and OS X.
I wouldn't say it's that, I think it's just that with no new iPhone release and a relatively continuous advancement of android products (with some really good OS improvements and much better radios than any iPhone out today) it's normal for there to be less sales of new devices for apple. When the iPhone 5 comes out, they'll certainly have some popularity back, though I think the android OS and development for it has come along enough that it's a better competitor and the iPhone may have a harder time stomping the competition in future releases.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:45 PM   #8
huskylord
King of Denmark

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I have an HTC phone.
It is still on gingerbread and odds are will never be upated.
Very annoying.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:50 PM   #9
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
I have an HTC phone.
It is still on gingerbread and odds are will never be upated.
Very annoying.
Didn't Samsung just start to offer rebates if you return your old Smartphone when you buy a new one?
That's one way to gain sales numbers and avoid long term software support

Typical hardware manufacturer non-sense. They still don't understand what customer support and service is.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Didn't Samsung just start to offer rebates if you return your old Smartphone when you buy a new one?
That's one way to gain sales numbers and avoid long term software support
The rebate amounts are pretty tiny. It's not much of an incentive.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

After I bought Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I learned a lesson.
Andriod is not supported by 2nd party developers, my samsung has not been updated in a year...the problem with Android is its open system and you have different hardwares and each one has its own andriod.

all my future products will be "APPLED", standardized device with better online market, music store and updates.

Last edited by Shark : Aug 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
After I bought Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I learned a lesson.
Andriod is not supporting by 2nd party developers, my samsung has not been updated in a year...the problem with Android is its open system and you have different hardwares and each one has its own andriod.

all my future products will be "APPLED", standardized device with better online market, music store and updates.
Cool
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Yaboze
Radeon R420

Yaboze can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyYaboze can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I like Apple but I'm not a blind fanboi. I've considered an Android phone many times, I looked at the Nexus and Galaxy 3.

My problem with Android has already been mentioned here...to many devices too soon and too many abandonded products for upgrades. They are key.

It's true all of Apple's iPhones get their updates but the older models start to lose features. Even the 4 will not get all of the features of iOS 6 due in a few months or less.

I just feel that the iPhone offers a more solid, tighter experience and has a great selection of Apps and games. I can go anywhere and get a charger, case or any other accessorie because it's popular.

With that, I'll probably get the iPhone 5 or whatever it's called, since I have an aging iPhone 4.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:34 AM   #14
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I'll probably be sticking with iPhones until given a reason not to.

The benefit of Android is the open platform...but so many phones get left in the dust and ignored that it isn't even funny. Meanwhile, iphone jailbreak community only has to focus on a couple phones, so they get almost everything out there.

For a tablet, I'm still kinda on the fence. We'll see. I used an android tablet for awhile, wasn't overly impressed with it's responsiveness after using an iphone. (or even ipod touch). Then again, hardware plays a role in that. But so does programming, and apples "Stop everything when a finger hits the screen and see what it's doing" approach makes it SUPER responsive.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

As long as Apple is taking 80% of the profits from the mobile sector, I don't think they give a damn about marketshare.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote