Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Anyone using the Bold 9900 ?

Personal reviews ?

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:31 AM   #2
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I have one on hand. Not a bad phone. Looks sleek. It's def nice to have touch and keyboard. However, it can be a bit difficult to use the touch since the screen is so small. Very minimal lag. Phone feels well built. I don't use it regularly so I couldn't tell you much about the battery life. Also, if I were to buy a phone at 199.99 price point on contract or renewal i wouldn't buy this one.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:46 AM   #3
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I have one on hand. Not a bad phone. Looks sleek. It's def nice to have touch and keyboard. However, it can be a bit difficult to use the touch since the screen is so small. Very minimal lag. Phone feels well built. I don't use it regularly so I couldn't tell you much about the battery life. Also, if I were to buy a phone at 199.99 price point on contract or renewal i wouldn't buy this one.
Yeah I hear you on that one. The only that really got me hooked is the damn keyboard.

-Megaman
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why? The keyboard is so ****ing small, my thumb covers over 2 buttons.. I hate blackberry keyboards.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:26 PM   #5
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Have a few work, great built phone and its nice to use. I really like the interface and how it feels. Performs well too. Out of the 6-7 we have 2 of them had to be sent back because of a known "crash" defect; they kept hard crashing on everything at anytime. After being replaced they havent had the same symptoms. Nunz not sure if you played with the 9900, but its keyboard has gone back to its bigger size unlike previous versions. IMO its a fantastic implementation of both keyboard and touch. Tho i must agree that the screen might be too small for some touch situations. Personally the biggest knock against it is that its not intuitive likes its competition. This could make the phone feel stale very quickly... but again it has a very nice feel to it. If i wasnt in a company that supported these phones would i buy one, ONLY if the price was right... under $200. Not because it doesnt deserve to be that type of phone, but there are just too many interesting choices out there.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Dec 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Why? The keyboard is so ****ing small, my thumb covers over 2 buttons.. I hate blackberry keyboards.
they certainly are not made for humans.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 03:45 PM   #7
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

Been using mine for 4 months, replaced an iPhone 4.

Its probably the best phone I've ever had, definitely has the best full QWERTY hardware keyboard from any phone I have played with, each key is raised and angled slightly so its the perfect device to type with 2 hands one, even one handed typing is a breeze.

The touch screen is amazing, however size is a limitation, especially if you have big hands. The resolution is simply amazing and you are unable, with your eyes, to see an individual pixel.

The camera does not have autofocus which in this day and age is ridiculous, has a 5MP count and can take decent pictures, even at night with the brightest LED flash there is. However close up pictures are normally a blur.

The 720P video recording is good, very clear, however the audio is not stereo, and recorded in 3PG, which has its limitations. Probably as good as the iPhone, but again lags autofocus.

My biggest problem seems to be battery life. If you have 3G turned on, from my experience, it uses as much power as it can to stay connected to a low signal 3G network than switching to a 2G network which may have more bars. If you have access to WiFi, the 9900 can make phone calls (and of course browsing) through WiFi, so this way, even with 3G turned on you get a long battery life. If you leave the phone on 2G due to no WiFi or bad 3G reception, you have stellar battery life, and enough to turn 3G on and use it for Maps or something that critically requires data.

That being said, on an EDGE 2G with decent reception, most things can be done without it seeming too slow. The data is compressed through their servers which I think is the reason it can be tolerable.

Then of course there is BBM, which seems to be the selling phone of a BlackBerry these days. If you have a lot of friends, or even family with a BB, its simply the phone to go for. I've been sent abroad to work for a while, and with most people available on BBM, it makes texting/chatting a lot cheaper, easier and useful. BBM lets you send voice notes, pictures amongst other things.

The look and the finish of the Bold 9900 is simply stunning. The LED backlight keyboard, the bright, high resolution display, the steel band that runs around the edge of the phone (no death grip issues btw) and the carbon fibre battery cover. The whole phone yells quality and great design. Its the first BlackBerry (out of 4) that does not creak, squeeze or feel flimsy, at all. Everything, a touch screen, the best possible keyboard, a decent camera and a OS that's a breeze to use and extremely responsive in such a thin body.

If you really really enjoy playing 3D games and such like on your phone, its not for you. If you want the all round perfect smart phone, that makes compromises, but probably the best compromises, the Bold 9900 is the phone to go for.

Its the best phone I've ever had.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:22 PM   #8
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKiller View Post
My biggest problem seems to be battery life. If you have 3G turned on, from my experience, it uses as much power as it can to stay connected to a low signal 3G network than switching to a 2G network which may have more bars. If you have access to WiFi, the 9900 can make phone calls (and of course browsing) through WiFi, so this way, even with 3G turned on you get a long battery life. If you leave the phone on 2G due to no WiFi or bad 3G reception, you have stellar battery life, and enough to turn 3G on and use it for Maps or something that critically requires data.

First of all : Thanks a lot for the thorough feedback ! Much appreciated.

That being said, I read about the battery life problems. Have you been over at crackberry ? Seems there was a firmware update to fix this problem. People got horrible battery life before.

-Megaman
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by .nox View Post
First of all : Thanks a lot for the thorough feedback ! Much appreciated.

That being said, I read about the battery life problems. Have you been over at crackberry ? Seems there was a firmware update to fix this problem. People got horrible battery life before.
No worries.

I've updated my BB, perhaps 1/2 months ago, but have always kept 3G off because I never needed it.

It probably is solved, my 9700 had excellent battery life with 3G & 2G activated so as long as they used the same algorithm (is that even the correct term?) for 3G/2G balance, the battery life should once again be stellar.