Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default So i decided to go against the grain and...

… grabbed a playbook.

I was actually going to get an Android device, either the transformer or the Lenovo, but I was presented with a deal which I was able to get the 16GB for about half price taxes in. Regardless the future of the device the deal was too tempting for me to pass up.

At first i thought the device would be too small, but after playing around with it and carrying it with me I actually appreciate the size format. I really like how it fits in my hands. Regardless if the tablet is in landscape or in portrait, I can easily and quite comfortably hold the device in both hands while using my thumbs to type. The screen touch is extremely accurate and the whole device works so fluidly. To be honest I’m actually super impressed on how well this device performs, meaning it being a RIM product.

Of course apps are lacking when you compare #'s with iOS and Android, but from what ive seen and played with so far i wouldnt say it's lack of apps is its biggest draw back… unless there are specific’s that people are looking for like, ifart or zombie face….etc

My biggest complaints would be the battery life, a lack of a SD card slot and the USB port not being ON-THE-GO. BUT with that being said most of these missing features are also absent from many top tier tablets. In regards to the battery I’m getting about 5-6hrs of consistent use (movies, games, browsing, camera, multitasking...etc), when used sparingly/moderate i can get a good chunk of a day out of it. It’s not horrible but it can definitely be better, especially it being a smaller form factor. I have multitasking set for full meaning apps that ive opened are still running real time. If I reduce this feature im sure ill squeak more juice out of it. Having an SD slot would be ideal for me when im out taking photos and then want to showcase them on the Playbook, this missing is probably my biggest draw back. Now with not having a card slot I was hoping that i could transfer stuff over via card reader, but with it not being USB On The Go this isn’t possible, yet. Future updates may make this an option, I really hope that the rumors are true.

The Playbook’s biggest winnings are it’s browsing, multitasking, and as silly as it sounds; its speakers. The browser is just simply awesome. Rim’s new OS7 is pretty sweet but this QNX world is just dreamy, its on a whole different playing field. With the speakers being located on the front one on each side of the screen, they sound loud and clear. Again im surprised about its stereo performance. True multitasking, a bliss.

Bridge is pretty decent too; calendar (yahoo included), contacts (yahoo included), email (yahoo included) and BBM work flawlessly. Wi-fi performance is also pretty impressive. With my N router being down in the basement, im still able to get 3 bars when im up in my room which is 2 levels up. When comparing with my N laptops they are usually 1-2 bars in the same areas. Not bad.

Personally I don’t think the Playbook has been given a fair chance. Understandably so as some of its features are being limited to non blackberry phone users, but in regards to email (gmail/yahoo/Hotmail) they work really really well in its browser. RIM has even placed icons for these major email services on its main homescreen, so one can access them with fewer screen taps. But it would be nice to have notifications when email comes in instead of refreshing the screen.

Is it perfect, no far from it, is it a valid tablet that one should consider… absolutely. I do wish for a bigger screen at times, but as I bounce around the 10” screen envy is negated. With a major OS update coming next month im sure many of its issues will be taken care of. I really hope they can maximize the USB connection. For the ones who really care, the lack of apps wont be an issue anymore as RIM has noted that the Playbook will be able to use Android apps.

Sorry for the ramblings... just woke up and while coffee in hand i thought id share some thoughts about it.

Some pics

**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I never got the impression that it sucked; just that there are better-equipped options for the money.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I never got the impression that it sucked; just that there are better-equipped options for the money.
If he got it for half-price though, it's worth every cent.

I don't like the feel myself, the boxy corners are pretty lame.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:44 PM   #4
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Well at least you have a web browser you like. That alone makes it worth alot.
I really like my transformer but the only browser I can use is Opera (which I hate) so I spent most my time on my HP Touchpad. If you like it thats the main thing.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:12 PM   #5
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

The huge black border before the screen looks like an annoying waste of space and kind of makes it ugly. Like one of those digital picture frames

Ok, so most tablets are like this. Pisses me off every time

Last edited by eNforcer : Sep 24, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

At least the border is usable (iirc).

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:55 PM   #7
snookums
Nothing is true.

snookums is still being judged by the masses

Yes, the edges of the screen are used as part of the interface. Whereas Android 3.x uses soft keys on the screen, the Playbook stole borrows heavily fromthe webOS interface. You swipe up from the bottom middle to go to the multitasking preview, swipe down from middle to expose the app-specific toolbar, swipe in from the top corners and you get the system-bar, or swipe from the bottom corners to get the keyboard. All in all, the interface feels way more modern than Android 3.x or iOS. I actually prefer working with the Playbook than the other tablets we are developing with at work, it's really slick.

However, the lack of integration with other phones (Android/iPhone) makes the experience lack-luster for sync. There is no "sync:, only Blackberry Bridge. To me that's the deal breaker. Even with RIM promising Android apps running on the thing later this year, I still won't get one (even at $250 sale price) since it cannot pair with my phone, or sync my contacts and calendar with Google Apps.

I do hope to see QNX on phones soon though, it's about time we had a serious third competitor in the market.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:40 AM   #8
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
The huge black border before the screen looks like an annoying waste of space and kind of makes it ugly. Like one of those digital picture frames

You mean the part where I hold it without occluding the screen?
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:43 PM   #9
felikx
Rage3D Veteran

felikx is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post

You will buy a transformer 2, you goddamn son of a bitch!
Vive, MFG Crosswinds, Warthog
felikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:31 PM   #10
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

Deadspace on the playbook is great! Worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Glad your are liking your playbook, So am I. The size is perfect for portability. The IPS screen is one of the best available. And out of the box Bluetooth mouse support rocks on my HDTV. You get a computer like cursor and you can navigate through your cards. Front and back camera capable of 1080p record.
It has an internal gps thats just now starting to get used. Omap 4's SGX540 is clocked @ 300mhz instead of 200mhz like older 540's. Benches show its as fast or faster than tegra. You can unlock the screen with a swipe, no searching for home or power buttons.

Last edited by fO Che -USA- : Oct 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
fO Che -USA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:28 PM   #11
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Yup been playing that along with Lets Golf 2, such a fun experience. Havent hooked it up to the TV yet, will play around with that sometime this week. Indeed, the swipe features are just wonderful. Its such a great little device... tho there are some awkward issues. Why cant i cut paste (copy too) while the phone is bridged!?? Silly. Also screen capture is disabled when bridge is active... i guess they think its a security issue but i personally think its silly to disable those features while bridging our phones. Other than that, there hasnt been much to complain about.

What map apps do you like to use, that work with our GPS?

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Oct 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:29 PM   #12
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

Just downloaded the Magellan trial and it works well. Bing maps wasn't getting a lock until i tried the Magellan app. Kind of weird might try bb desktop and reload when os 2.0 comes out. One accessory I would definitely recommend is the rapid charger not the stand ( stand seems to have issues with the connection). Rapid charger clicks in so nicely with a magnet. You can't plug it in wrong it just sucks it self in and charges really fast. Newegg has it for 39.99 + free shipping right now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16875997857
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:15 PM   #13
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Yeah the magellan app is pretty slick, works quite well. Thought about the quick charger, but i havent had the need for it yet. Id be more happy to get a car lighter charger that will work. I have one now but its only 1amp which seems not enough to charge the playbook.