Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default Acer Android 3.0 Tablet

For those who dont care for mobile connectivity (3/4G) this looks promising. Great price too! Just need to see it in action and how they've laid it out.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

I didn't think Acer sold anything over $200...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3
snookums
Nothing is true.

snookums is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I didn't think Acer sold anything worth $200...
fixed.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
For those who dont care for mobile connectivity (3/4G) this looks promising. Great price too! Just need to see it in action and how they've laid it out.
yeah price is perfect. $600 is still more than I'm comfortable paying for a Xoom.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:36 PM   #5
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
yeah price is perfect. $600 is still more than I'm comfortable paying for a Xoom.
Likewise, $500 is my limit right now. I know its limiting my selection by a lot, but thats the limit ill be spending on these things. Its not that i really need one or anything... it would be just a neat gadget to have kickn around with the rest of my hardware around the house. Then again i havent really played with one yet, so my thoughts may change once i slide my fingers on one.

The Asus Slider looks interesting as well... tho still too pricey.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Moto is coming with a 16gb Xoom.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Ha, I'm not comfortable spending anymore then I did tonight on a tablet, great tablet for the money, all the same specs of these higher priced ones minus the screen rez. which on this small of a screen and after screwing around with it all night I don't see it bothering me. Biggest complaint was the software on it which I have already changed out.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=7212231
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:00 AM   #8
Thr0tt
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Ha, I'm not comfortable spending anymore then I did tonight on a tablet, great tablet for the money, all the same specs of these higher priced ones minus the screen rez. which on this small of a screen and after screwing around with it all night I don't see it bothering me. Biggest complaint was the software on it which I have already changed out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/view...-34431221.html
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:33 AM   #9
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I was looking at the gtablet last week (woot had a sale, $280) but I decided against it because I want something with Android 3.0 support.

I hear that out of the box, the gtablet can be slow, but that if you install a custom ROM, it really shines.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr0tt View Post
Nothing wrong with with that review and many of the shortcomings are fixed with the custom Rom.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:56 AM   #11
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

I know a few people who have this gem and you are right the thing is very tight and waht hurts it is Viewsonic custom software layer they put on the darn things. A quick visit to XDA to put a custom droid firmware on and the thing becomes outstandingly solid.
MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

If I get a gtablet (or gtablet2?) I'll wait till a flavor of Android 3.0 runs well on it.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Nascar24

There's still hope in the future that there will be a honeycomb gtab Rom although I'm really not complaining about how well this custom firmware is working.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:56 AM   #14
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

From what I hear the gtab's biggest weakness is actually the screen. A lot of these tablets coming out have TN panels with poor viewing angles and low contrast/brightness. Until they release something with a quality IPS or similar screen, I'm going to pass on the larger tablets. And no, I don't want an iPad2.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Nascar24

Yea, that is a weakness of this tablet with the viewing angle but not all that bad, I guess you have to look at what your paying for it as well, it looks like your paying 100 to 150 more for the better screen.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:23 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Biggest complaint is the software? I'd say it's the horrible viewing angles. May work for you but when I can't tilt the device more than 5 degrees without issue it's not worth it. Friend has also had to RMA his already, a row of pixels turned purple straight down the screen... It's also like half an inch thick, all across, no taper.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Biggest complaint is the software? I'd say it's the horrible viewing angles. May work for you but when I can't tilt the device more than 5 degrees without issue it's not worth it. Friend has also had to RMA his already, a row of pixels turned purple straight down the screen... It's also like half an inch thick, all across, no taper.
Well spending double the price isn't for me so to each his own it really is nothing but a toy.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Yea, that is a weakness of this tablet with the viewing angle but not all that bad, I guess you have to look at what your paying for it as well, it looks like your paying 100 to 150 more for the better screen.
Considering how much time you can potentially spend looking at your tablet, I don't see how its not worth that price difference to make your life easier.

I'm still very happy with my 7" tablet though. The only reason I would buy a bigger one is for the horsepower to read dense PDFs and comics without zooming, either of which I don't really do anyways.

But outside of the screen issue the gtab and many upcoming tablets offer way more bang for your buck than the current xoom. To each his own though

Edit: Asus eee pad is rumored to be released for ~400 very soon, details even leaked on bestbuy and other retailers' websites then yanked. That would start a major price war amongst the few tablet manufacturers if true.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Apr 9, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 03:56 PM   #19
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Considering how much time you can potentially spend looking at your tablet, I don't see how its not worth that price difference to make your life easier.

I'm still very happy with my 7" tablet though. The only reason I would buy a bigger one is for the horsepower to read dense PDFs and comics without zooming, either of which I don't really do anyways.

But outside of the screen issue the gtab and many upcoming tablets offer way more bang for your buck than the current xoom. To each his own though

Edit: Asus eee pad is rumored to be released for ~400 very soon, details even leaked on bestbuy and other retailers' websites then yanked. That would start a major price war amongst the few tablet manufacturers if true.
I don't know, its really not that big of an annoyance. Yes its there, but like I mentioned in another post these things are for the most part toys. I could see if you were doing business with them and looking at it for 8 hours a day. I was thinking if you used it as a reader as well but I just tried the kindle software and its barely noticeable due to it using a white back ground. I just think $100 to $150 is a big price premium to pay for a toy.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:02 PM   #20
Zero
Sass hole

My tab's pretty much replaced my laptop, I use it pretty much all day.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:00 PM   #21
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
I don't know, its really not that big of an annoyance. Yes its there, but like I mentioned in another post these things are for the most part toys. I could see if you were doing business with them and looking at it for 8 hours a day. I was thinking if you used it as a reader as well but I just tried the kindle software and its barely noticeable due to it using a white back ground. I just think $100 to $150 is a big price premium to pay for a toy.
Hmm, I really gotta see this myself...
Old Apr 9, 2011, 07:06 PM   #22
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
Hmm, I really gotta see this myself...
Don't get me wrong it does have poor angle viewing. I'm just not bothered by it much since for the most part you look at these things straight on. I guess if you cant hold it steady it might be a bigger problem for someone.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 07:35 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Don't get me wrong it does have poor angle viewing. I'm just not bothered by it much since for the most part you look at these things straight on. I guess if you cant hold it steady it might be a bigger problem for someone.
I dunno about that, you might because you have to but my viewing habits on my Xoom are definitely not always straight on...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:06 AM   #24
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

the acer one is only wifi only right.?

and wifi only 's xoom is also only selling at 500+
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:29 PM   #25
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I dunno about that, you might because you have to but my viewing habits on my Xoom are definitely not always straight on...
After messing with the gtab all weekend long I'm quite impressed with this tablet and Android 2.2. Ive spent hours playing around with this thing with the custom firmware TnT 4.4. Very happy with how smooth it is browsing the web and all the free apps you can get. I just don't think you can beat it for the $299 price at the moment, I missed the woot $280 deal. So what exactly does Honeycomb get you over Android 2.2? I know honeycomb is built for tablets but Android 2.2 seems perfectly fine for tablets to me.