Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jul 9, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default No more bare back... Protector time!

Hey guys,
I dont mean to pimp brands and stuff but i was recently looking for some protectors for my hardware (surface and z10) which i came across this place; http://www.expertshield.com/

Now im usually a person who preaches about going bare back and that theres nothing out there like it, but i must say that these protectors are really effin good. Seriously. Silly smooth and they hardly muster up the screens display... if at all that is. They have a pretty decent library which i actually bought one for my dslr, i hate using the default screen protectors, but again the screens visuals are un affected.

Only had them for a day so not much wear and tear yet but i did try scratching a corner with my keys and i was impressed with the results, especially at this price point.

For all 3 items my total bill was just over $40 which incl free shipping coming from the uk. My biggest complaint is that i really [email protected] suck at putting on these protectors, so im fighting with some air bubbles caused by tiny dirt specs.

It will be interesting to see how these hold up, but i thought id share this in case any of you are interested.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:05 PM   #2
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Every time i try to put a screen protector on i end up trashing it due to bubbles, i have never been able to successfully install one
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Bareback or nothing.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:26 AM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Bought some tech armor protectors for my s4 and was very impressed other than one corner that didn't adhere properly. Shot them an email and they sent me out another 3pk at no charge. First shield looks so good, except that small corner, that I'm going to leave it alone for now. Not back for $6 or whatever the deal was. Weirdly, to me the display seems to look even better w/ the protector installed.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
Every time i try to put a screen protector on i end up trashing it due to bubbles, i have never been able to successfully install one
Last time I bought a protector I bought a 3 pack. I put the first one on, naturally dirt was in there. Then I quickly pulled the first one up and swapped the second one in its place. Perfect, no dirt or bubbles.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Bought some tech armor protectors for my s4 and was very impressed other than one corner that didn't adhere properly. Shot them an email and they sent me out another 3pk at no charge. First shield looks so good, except that small corner, that I'm going to leave it alone for now. Not back for $6 or whatever the deal was. Weirdly, to me the display seems to look even better w/ the protector installed.
Use a razor blade to cut the corner of. That's what I did on my S3 to trim the protector down to the proper size. Gorilla Glass don't give a ****.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:41 PM   #7
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Well i tried to correct the shield for my Surface and botched it even more so. I dont know where this friggn dust comes from, i mean it looks clean but as soon as you apply... BOOM, bits and or hair under the protector. But yeah i tried to take it off, easy to do mind you as it doesnt use glue or anything, but i guess the dust in my house and from me just made it worse. Littered with bits. Im trying to clean it by using tape to pull off the bits, but its not looking good. I emailed the company and they replied pretty quick to say that they will be sending me a replacement. I even admitted that i [email protected] up but they didnt care as these Expert Shields have a life time warranty. Love this type of service!!

So far i cant say enough good things about these guys.

Lupy, for some odd reason i think i see what you mean... for some reason the screen seems to be better, touch and visually. Maybe its just my eyes but touch seems more accurate.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Jul 10, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Regarding dust, here is the response I got from Tech Armor. Might give their suggestions a try, especially the humid environment bit (bolded). I know what you mean though. I used the cloth they provided, and within milliseconds there was always a new bit of dust landing on the screen.

Quote:
Thank you for confirming your address. We will ship your replacement out right away.

All Tech Armor screen protectors require a dry application. The addition of any liquid, even if just soapy water, can degrade the quality of our bubble-free adhesive. We do not recommend that you use any solution in the application process.

With regard to the bubbles, they are almost always caused by dust. An easy way to avoid bubbles caused by dust is trying to install the product in a humid environment (i.e. Bathroom with the sink or shower on to create steam). You need to be careful with the cloth you use to clean it as well, so shake it out if it has been sitting around so there is no dust on it.

Before you apply the protector, hold your device so you can see the reflection and make sure there is no dust.

Next, follow our instructions:
Installation
1. Wash and dry your hands and clean your device screen with the polishing cloth
2. Peel back half of "Tab 1" protective layer to expose adhesive
3. Align the screen protector to the home button at the bottom of the screen
4. Slowly apply the screen protector to the surface of the screen while smoothing out bubbles as you go with the squeegee.
5. Lift up a small portion of "Tab 2" (All HD High Definition Clear Screen Protectors, All Mirror Screen Protectors and all Samsung Screen Protectors have 2 Protective layers (antiglare and privacy screens have one) . Then place your finger on screen protector below and slowly remove the protective layer then discard
6. Cover the squeegee with polishing cloth and smooth out the remaining bubbles. For best results, start from the center and push bubbles out towards the edges of the screen
7. Polish once more and enjoy your Tech Armor Screen protector
1. If you do get a bubble see the following:
Air Bubbles can easily be pushed out using the squeegee provided.

Dust and/or lint bubbles can be identifiable by dark spots inside the bubble or a bubble with a tiny fiber or hair inside.

After identifying a Dust and/or lint bubbles, you will need transparent tape (we recommend using a branded version such as Scotch) to remove dust from your screen protector. (Do not use commercial grade tape such as duct or gorilla tape, glue from the tape may stick on the protector or your device).

Cut a few two inch strips of the transparent tape. Adhere one strip to the edge nearest the dust/lint bubble and carefully lift the screen protector to expose the adhesive side of the screen with the bubbles. Then use the second strip of tape to softly dab the adhesive side of the transparent tape against the sticky side of the screen protector to grab and remove the dust or lint from the screen protector.

Be patient and repeat this process as many times as necessary to remove all bubbles. (Use care and do not touch the adhesive side of the screen protector with your finger. This can cause blurring on the protector).

Gently lay the screen protector back down on the display and remove the transparent tape.

Smooth any remaining bubbles with the squeegee to complete the installation.

Clean the screen one last time with micro-fiber cloth to complete the installation process.

For further info, please go to www.techarmor.com/info/helpand watch the installation video and read the Pro Installation Tips.

We hope that this helps and please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

All the best,

Tech Armor Support Team
Old Jul 10, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Tech Armour seems to be better priced especially with giving you a 3 pack, hmm... might give them a try on a few devices for work to see the difference.

Thx for the heads up... they kinda mentioned the same thing.

Quote:
Hi Steve,

I saw your reviews first thing this morning, thank you very much. They really do help us out and are massively appreciated!

I'm really glad everything went as smoothly as they should with your Z10 and D800 Expert Shields but I would agree that things can get a little trickier with a bigger device/screen like the Microsoft Surface, it's a shame things didn't work out for you first time round.

Dust is our worse enemy and unfortunately the more times you remove and try to reapply your Expert Shield the risk of getting even more dust trapped underneath is increased.

Expert Shields can be cleaned of dust successfully, the 'sticky tape technique' is great! Check out our blog for more info:

http://www.expertshielduk.com/blog/washing_cleaning/

It's really good of you to be so honest. Expert Shields do have lifetime guarantees so I'd be more than happy to send you a replacement to try again, it will save you some time and effort.

When you receive your replacement, you may want to apply it in a slightly steamy bathroom or a kitchen with a boiling kettle works just as well. The moisture in the air will help settle any dust and should give an easier application, it'll also buy you more time while aligning everything. I would highly recommend taking plenty of time over it, start at one end and only peel off some of the 'step 1' layer, once this section is aligned continue with the rest. Smooth out any bubbles as you go and peel off the remaining 'step 1' layer gradually as you do so.

Remember the screen must be absolutely completely free of dust before you begin.

I hope that helps, please let me know how you get on with your replacement.

Kind regards,
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Regarding dust, here is the response I got from Tech Armor. Might give their suggestions a try, especially the humid environment bit (bolded). I know what you mean though. I used the cloth they provided, and within milliseconds there was always a new bit of dust landing on the screen.
Yeah I did the humid environment bit, ran the shower on 100% hot for like 15min before I did it. Was steamy in there, still got dust in the first one But my guards weren't Tech Armor. Forget the brand, got it at Frys.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:42 PM   #11
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Yeah i will do the humid thing next time when the replacement arrives.
I just took the protector and soaked it in soapy water and rubbed the **** out of it. Shook semi dry and placed on, its almost perfect! There were just a few spots but i used the tape method to get rid of them. My biggest issue is that when washing it i accidentally creased a spot and this area now is always lifted off of the screen, but its the only bubble at this point. Impressed on how easy it is to maintain these things.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Jul 10, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
Yeah i will do the humid thing next time when the replacement arrives.
I just took the protector and soaked it in soapy water and rubbed the **** out of it. Shook semi dry and placed on, its almost perfect! There were just a few spots but i used the tape method to get rid of them. My biggest issue is that when washing it i accidentally creased a spot and this area now is always lifted off of the screen, but its the only bubble at this point. Impressed on how easy it is to maintain these things.
So washing it allows it to fully adhere again? Maybe I should try that with mine, to get that bottom corner to adhere.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I used to half ass putting them on, so i did not give a crap. But with the tablet, I actually did the bathroom thing and it came out perfect the first try. Was very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:44 PM   #14
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Quote:
So washing it allows it to fully adhere again? Maybe I should try that with mine, to get that bottom corner to adhere.
I think it depends on the type of tech they use for sticking, but yeah i used typical dish soap and cold water rubbed it down shack dry and then place. Any hairs or dust that i found i peeled back the protector and then used packing tape to dab at those spots. Done. Water/Soapy subs you can push out with easy. Just be sure its not too wet for obvious reasons. For your corner, it might be toast... there may be too much crease/bend so it doesnt want to lay the right way. To peel it off the protectors i was directed to use the packing tape and to stick it onto the corner and peel, the protector comes up with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I used to half ass putting them on, so i did not give a crap. But with the tablet, I actually did the bathroom thing and it came out perfect the first try. Was very happy.
Sweet...

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Jul 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:47 PM   #15
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

I went with skinomi screen protector for my 10.1" tablet. It comes with a solution that you apply to the screen after cleaning it. After I cleaned mine, I used a turkey baster to remove the remaining dust particles. Then spray the solution. Once there is a layer on the screen of the solution, you can put the screen protector on and you can move it freely around to line it up just right.

After that, you squeegee out the solution, let it sit for a couple hours and its ready to use. The reminaing bubbles (I had 4-6 small ones) evaporate and its a near invisible finish.

I'd take a picture to show, but my g/f has it at her place.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

My first try on the Playbook was a disaster with dust and other assorted particles sneaking in there. I used canned air the second time just before adhering and near perfect results. I paid Futureshop to do my Z10 with a zagg.. was feeling rich that day.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer #2) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K), Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer#3) GA-MA790FX, AMD 955, Thermaltake 550w, ASUS HD5870, Win10pro x86
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:48 AM   #17
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

See thats the thing, imo these protectors at shops are complete rip off... i mean they are $30 or more... like wtf. That was one of my main reasons of my post, these stores rip us off while the products themselves are probably less of that myself and lupy posted. Its crazy. That why i was blown away, from price service to communications.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:09 PM   #18
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Im the oppposite now. I used to do all that crap, now I just go pure nude phones and I love it.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:48 PM   #19
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

I usually still lean that way, but because im now usually tossing my items in bags with other objects im starting to get worried. This is why i didnt want to spend a crap load like at some of the retailers. $10 is totally do able and it doesnt do anything to the screens quality. I wont pay more than that.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:39 PM   #20
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Default Quick Update

Got my replacement this week and everything is perfect. Went on much better this time, i guess all of the practice with the previous attempts. But i really do like how you can reuse/apply these over and over again. Wash rinse apply.