Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Trying to pick a new phone -- Halp

I have a bold 9900. Loved the keyboard and didn't use THAT many apps. Only radio streaming, social media , newspapers and banking stuff. I don't really game.

RIM : Been checking out the Z10, OS seems great, but I don't want to gamble on promises of applications to come. If I can't even have decent app for what I do then it's not worth it to me -- Plus the phone is really inexpensive.

Apple : I don't feel like paying the apple premium, but I would if that is the best option. ( I have a 2nd gen iPod touch that is serving me well )

Android : Didn't know **** about Android phones, but now, my understanding is I might as well wait for the S4 -- or get an S3 for cheap.

Bleh. Can you help me out guys ?

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Nexus 4?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Sazar would say to go with a Windows Phone 8.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I agree with sazar, as long as it has the apps you want.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I read a bit about the nexus 4, would you say s3 > nexus 4 zero ?

-Megaman
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I would prefer my S3 over an N4 for a few reasons (expandable storage, no on screen nav buttons, slightly better camera) but both are fairly similar and very good phones. The N4 also has certain advantages (Nexus device, GPU, price) over the S3.

There's no clear winner between those imo (except the owner of course ).

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by .nox View Post
I have a bold 9900. Loved the keyboard and didn't use THAT many apps. Only radio streaming, social media , newspapers and banking stuff. I don't really game.

RIM : Been checking out the Z10, OS seems great, but I don't want to gamble on promises of applications to come. If I can't even have decent app for what I do then it's not worth it to me -- Plus the phone is really inexpensive.

Apple : I don't feel like paying the apple premium, but I would if that is the best option. ( I have a 2nd gen iPod touch that is serving me well )

Android : Didn't know **** about Android phones, but now, my understanding is I might as well wait for the S4 -- or get an S3 for cheap.

Bleh. Can you help me out guys ?
If you are looking for ease of use and a great app ecosystem, Android is probably going to be your best bet. The HTC One and GS4 from Samsung should be good products all around and you get a high-res screen.

The Z10 is a good phone if you want to stay in the BB environment.

Apple, basically go that route if you want accessory support and apps. I can't recommend it for anything else that can't be had elsewhere.

If you want something for social media, I'd suggest WP8, the social integration is second to none with the people hub, but be prepared for some growing pains as the apps store is populated. The overall design is solid, but you will essentially be a psuedo beta tester

Overall, Android is probably your best bet. I think both the HTC One and GS4 will offer enough social apps to keep you interested
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:50 PM   #8
.nox
Meh

Got the Nexus 4 and I'm shitting bricks.

This is fun -- Nothing like my first Android experience. UI was terrible on all fronts -- Layout, responsiveness, etc..

-Megaman
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

This is fun -- Nothing like my first Android experience. UI was terrible on all fronts -- Layout, responsiveness, etc..
You don't like the native Google UI?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
You don't like the native Google UI?
I think he means it used to suck and now he's having fun.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I see. Yes, I'm really tired this evening.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Bingo.

Quote:
I see. Yes, I'm really tired this evening.
Nah man, I'm like a toddler with internet access -- I can be hard to understand.

Drop some Android knowledge on me if you have any guys. I know shitsquat about this thing. I was trying to delete the playstore app .

-Megaman
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Buy my S3

Don't try to delete the Play Store
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Wait for the Q10, with the android emulator you will have tons of apps plus all the native ones.

Edit: What the frak man, you had to get one in 6 hours or less of posting your OP? Regardless, enjoy your new purchase.

Last edited by Destroy : Mar 14, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:32 PM   #15
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Wait for the Q10, with the android emulator you will have tons of apps plus all the native ones.

Edit: What the frak man, you had to get one in 6 hours or less of posting your OP? Regardless, enjoy your new purchase.
Yeah. my bold has been dying for the last 3 months, I just never had the cash. I basically gave up on it a while back after losing all my contacts for the 2nd time.

It's been brewing and today the phone wouldn't go 30 seconds without showing the loading/processing icon so I said F it. I'm really not a demanding user.

Next phone in 2-3 years hopefully. I'll miss my qwerty keyboard though

-Megaman
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:39 AM   #16
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Potentially a good emergency type, hold-over-esque phone line up:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/15/b...s-smartphones/

Know nothing about them really other then 4.7" unlocked at 229.

Edit: Whoop, totally missed he got the Nexus 4. Well, FYI to anyone else, link above may be good to have if you have to be without your main phone for whatever reason.

Last edited by AdelphiaX : Mar 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Well that escalated quickly

Enjoy your new phone!

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:51 AM   #18
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Shoulda waited for the Galaxy S4......

But then if you get that you shoulda waited for the next best thing from some other manufacturer that would one-up the S4.....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:17 PM   #19
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Shoulda waited for the Galaxy S4......

But then if you get that you shoulda waited for the next best thing from some other manufacturer that would one-up the S4.....
Yeah pretty much, plus I paid a 100$ and sold my bold for 135$ so I'm good. I used to get in that upgrade paradox loop a lot in my overclocking days. Sometimes you just gotta say **** it y'know ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Well that escalated quickly

Enjoy your new phone!
I'm easily impressed.

I noticed battery life wasn't that great but people are reporting twice the on screen battery life with custom kernels so I'll give that a go next week. Already disabled bluetooth, wifi, locations services and all syncs. So yeah..

-Megaman
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:21 PM   #20
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

I noticed battery life wasn't that great but people are reporting twice the on screen battery life with custom kernels so I'll give that a go next week. Already disabled bluetooth, wifi, locations services and all syncs. So yeah..

That Android experience yo.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:35 PM   #21
.nox
Meh

Quote:

That Android experience yo.
I should've gotten an iphone

-Megaman
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:20 PM   #22
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I should've gotten a Lumia
Fixed it for you.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:57 PM   #23
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

Make sure you update to 4.2.2, it should help with the battery life.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:07 AM   #24
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaP911 View Post
Make sure you update to 4.2.2, it should help with the battery life.
Yeah I did -- I read that I should go through a few cycles before really judging my battery life, so I'll wait a week doing full cycles.

-Megaman
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:45 PM   #25
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Yeah pretty much, plus I paid a 100$ and sold my bold for 135$ so I'm good. I used to get in that upgrade paradox loop a lot in my overclocking days. Sometimes you just gotta say **** it y'know ?

well you joined the Android world, so that means you're now into the tweaking/rooting/custom rom game. Now your stuck in that infinite tweak loop in addition to returning to the infinite upgrade loop.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:45 PM   #26
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
well you joined the Android world, so that means you're now into the tweaking/rooting/custom rom game. Now your stuck in that infinite tweak loop in addition to returning to the infinite upgrade loop.
...****

I'll report back in a week. If I can get through the day, not limiting my usage then I'm good. I usually charge at night.

What phone are you using sasquash ?

-Megaman
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:17 PM   #27
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
...****

I'll report back in a week. If I can get through the day, not limiting my usage then I'm good. I usually charge at night.

My phone gets me through the whole day, but I still charge it at home, at work and, occasionally, in my car

Wireless chargers make life a lot easier.

The official bumper and the wireless charger don't cost much, and should make your life a lot simpler

Once you go wireless, ain't no going back.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:23 PM   #28
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
...****

Ive got a Lumia 710 Windows 7.8 phone.

The things i hate most about it is 8gb of space (not enough) and small 3.7" (too small imo) screen, oh and sometimes those "the app to get right now before no one cares anymore" arent available on windows platform...