Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Reduced Price Nexus 7 or iPad Mini?

So, my credit card is getting upgraded where I get 6% cash back on groceries and 3% back at Gas Stations and blah blah blah. This move is favorable to me as I never use reward points for anything and it takes me forever to build them. I'll profit about $200 bucks a year from this move.

They say I got 30 days to use these points.

So basically.....

Nexus 7 16GB for $115

or

iPad Mini 16gb for $210

My main mobile device outlook will be Windows base, for Surface Pro and a new phone. This would just be for whatever's around the house, take on trips, maybe use it as a maps GPS, some light reading before bed. I don't really use any "killer" apps.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Do you own an iOS or Android product already? If yes, I'd vote for whichever platform you already have. That will eliminate purchasing apps again.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Good point but I don't buy any apps. If there isn't a free version, I don't get it.

Edit: My current phone is a iPhone 3GS. Can't wait to move away from that.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
So, my credit card is getting upgraded where I get 6% cash back on groceries and 3% back at Gas Stations and blah blah blah. This move is favorable to me as I never use reward points for anything and it takes me forever to build them. I'll profit about $200 bucks a year from this move.

They say I got 30 days to use these points.

So basically.....

Nexus 7 16GB for $115

or

iPad Mini 16gb for $210

My main mobile device outlook will be Windows base, for Surface Pro and a new phone. This would just be for whatever's around the house, take on trips, maybe use it as a maps GPS, some light reading before bed. I don't really use any "killer" apps.

Thoughts?
neither. Especially if you are purchasing directly from google. Expect to pay tax + shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
neither. Especially if you are purchasing directly from google. Expect to pay tax + shipping.
It's from the credit cards reward store thing. The prices I've listed is final purchase price as listed in its checkout, whatever tax/shipping is included.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Get the Nexus I guess. You won't have to feel obsolete in 6 months or less.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ipad mini does not include a separate GPS antenna/thingie. iirc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Get the Nexus I guess. You won't have to feel obsolete in 6 months or less.
They're both obviously great tablets, but isn't the Tegra 3 slower than Apple's A5?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I dont see a point in the iPad Mini being gimped and all.
I wont be buying one in the future unless it would have the separate GPS antenna/thingie..

I would rather buy a Touch.
Of course that's if I wanted to stick with IOS
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:34 PM   #10
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Holy crap a Nexus 7 for $115.00 seems like a no brainer to me. Thats close to the price of a Big Lots android tablet. With a Nexus you will be sure to get the latest android updates. 16 gig is not alot of room but with cloud storage it is enough. It gets my vote.

Or heck buy it and I'll give you cash back.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:41 PM   #11
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

I waited and waited for the iPad mini only to be disappointed at its low resolution screen.

Bought the Nexus 32GB yesterday, the screen in a tablet is probably the most vital part and you'll have to wait until next year if you want a Retina iPad mini, or something that comes close to the Nexus 7.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:18 PM   #12
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

So, I've been looking at the site a bit more and it seems like the best way to use these points are via gift cards.

With the same amount of points, it looks like I could get $200 worth of Barnes and Noble gift cards... thus potentially making a Nook HD+ be 70+ tax..... Decisions.....

Good call on the no GPS on the iPad mini btw,
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:57 PM   #13
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
So, I've been looking at the site a bit more and it seems like the best way to use these points are via gift cards.

With the same amount of points, it looks like I could get $200 worth of Barnes and Noble gift cards... thus potentially making a Nook HD+ be 70+ tax..... Decisions.....

Good call on the no GPS on the iPad mini btw,
I looked at the nook hd+ the other day In store and it is nice bigger and not much heavier than my nook color

but I am seeing some talk about a windows 8 nook ?
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Noo...ini,17428.html

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UJauSSDn8Qg

Last edited by bill dennison : Nov 4, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote