Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default PlayBook 2.0 Update

I know it doesn't get a lot of love around here, which is fine, but seeing that the update is coming next week there are some decent videos showcasing some of the goodies. Granted a lot of this stuff should have been around since day one, but the new email package sounds pretty effn sweet. I really dig how you can be working on multiple emails along with it consolidating your contacts info.

For any PB users out there that have decent videos to show, please by all means add them.

Personally i was hoping to see more brought to the table in regards to video use, but i havent heard anything of the sorts. Hopefully the android player will help in that regards or if skype finally decides to actually make an proper app for it.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Spyder is still being judged by the masses

i love my playbook and am really looking forward to the update!
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

The more I see and learn about the 2.0 update, the more I'm torn about what to get. Playbook or wait for the QuadCore android tablets just around the corner... gah, I hate waiting games lol.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

RIM confirmed 2.0 is being released on the 21st
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:59 AM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
The more I see and learn about the 2.0 update, the more I'm torn about what to get. Playbook or wait for the QuadCore android tablets just around the corner... gah, I hate waiting games lol.
Wait. Playbook is EOL and SOL

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Redshirt_X
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For what it's worth, it's apparently Telus--not RIM itself--that's saying or said that the Playbook is EOL. (Albeit amid rumors of a 3G-capable PB. I guess we need AT&T to say the iPad 2 is EOL now.) SOL, now...I guess that's up to the user.

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I like them tall and petite.
Redshirt_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Looks very nice but its just too small a screen for a useful tablet IMO.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #8
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

There is a 3/4G LTE version of sorts coming, its been documented in a timeline. There will be some hardware changes too (faster CPU), but size and for the most part its going to be identical. But i guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for the size i really appreciate the 7" for portability and it doesnt seem too small most of the time, but there are definitely moments where i want more. One of my biggest complaints was lack of ports, SD card slot of sorts, but seeing that there are new wifi cards coming out it will negate that desire.

Im really interested in the whole idea of them being able consolidate social media in the contacts/messaging centre, i wonder if it will become too messy once you start adding in a bunch of accounts.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #9
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Wait. Playbook is EOL and SOL
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

There's been a number of 2.0 vids on crackberry, they're all essentially giving the same info as the one here.
The RIM servers are going to be hopping on the 21st. I think I'll wait a couple of days before even trying to update.
I just hope the Android compatibility doesn't bring virus type issues to the little beast.

Here's another decent discussion on 2.0.
http://www.berryreview.com/2012/02/1...s-jeff-gadway/

Installed the 2.0 update this morning (I was up real early). Took a while but no problems. Lots of nice changes and faster wifi speeds being reported.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer #2) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K), Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer#3) GA-MA790FX, AMD 955, Thermaltake 550w, ASUS HD5870, Win10pro x86

Last edited by Hardwood : Feb 21, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:59 PM   #11
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

I installed the v2 update this morning at work - first time the Playbook has left the house.

The update seemed to apply without issue, though I think it removed some of the apps I had installed.

Seems a little snappier overall. Though there is still some odd choppiness in the interface at times.

"App World" crashed on me once, "Browser" hasn't yet though - it used to crash on me once every ten minutes or so.
1madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

updated myself. no crashes or lost apps. loving the new keyboard and messages app. does feel snappier or a little quicker - possible optimizations? could also be placebo, not sure. the multitasking and speed were always good.

very happy with this update!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:30 AM   #13
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Anyone use the android app player yet? Can't figure it out...
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:15 PM   #14
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

yep! the android app player is transparent in that its not an app that you launch. if you happen to get an android app from App World, it just launches into the player automatically when you start it. if you want to try it all out, grab Dolphin Browser from app world

Last edited by Spyder : Feb 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:42 PM   #15
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

Google maps bar installed perfectly, its so much better than bing. You can install converted android apps using DDPB. There is a list of converted apps on crackberry.com

I hear the kindle app works great too.