Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation Rock and Roll babies, Rock and Roll elephants, Rock and Roll dishwashers...

Hi guys:

Yes, irreverent thread title is irreverent.

I have a lot of fun recording music, but have been busy with my band over the last year, so most recording has been documenting practice footage.

We sorta play something akin to what people that like to "categorize" rock as.... I dunno, a mix of doom, desert stoner... and Danzig? lol, i dunno, we're just a rock band enjoying ourselves and furthering each of our individual causes to end up in a music community that's a bit more virile.

I was setting up for some multitracking a couple weeks ago, and ended up laying down something that after some Adobe Audition editing, it ended up being pretty hefty sounding; big, imposing, dark. And most of all it was fun to do.

It was mostly a project to see what a dual drum-set approach would sound like if NOT done by The Melvins (one of my most favorite bands) .... however, I did play the drums in their style, the oh-so-slightly-off-time, angular, heavy handed goodness that is the duo of Dale Crover and Coady Willis.

I'm not looking for critique, but I won't mind if you do that, I'd rather just be sharing something that I had fun with, and maybe a few of you out there might bob your heads in approval. or maybe not.

... um, if you liked this, maybe you'll like a few other bands that I've been into lately...

Lightning Bolt:

Gay Witch Abortion:

Others worth checking out:

The Melvins (or course)
Big Business
Karp
Sleep
Om
El Buzzard

I hope that I may have shown at least one person out there some slightly underground stuff that truly rocks sooooo many pounds of dead car batteries, busted phone booths, and buckets of mercury more than all the overexposed tribal tattoo Four Loko Opie & Anthony crap out there.
ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:29 AM   #2
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

bump, this sunk into the abyss. If this is a plug I'd like to think of it more as a plug for the bands in the OP other than myself.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Rock and roll laundromat.

Your first music video will take place in a laundromat full of unbalanced washing machines and dryers, touretting around uncontrollably in a night party.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I liked your music best. I couldn't relate to the other two. Your music is like creeper-music, or doom-music. Like Laundromat of Doom or Rock and Roll Doom.

The other stuff is just....... I can't.... I don't even.....
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Rambozo
Making Hit Documentaries

Rambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Not my fault, I voted Ron Paul.

Not my fault, I voted Badnarik.

Last edited by Rambozo : Feb 26, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Rambozo, that was quite irrelevant to this thread, especially with no explanation to accompany the video you posted. On first it appears to be a middle finger stuck up at the OP, idk.

Heck, I like Hillstomp and Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, but that's for another day, another topic/thread.

And dorxstar, thx for the compliment, I appreciate that... and yeah, I certainly don't expect any large percentage of people to dig Lightning Bolt or Gay Witch Abortion...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:35 PM   #7
DorXtar
SMILE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
And dorxstar, thx for the compliment, I appreciate that... and yeah, I certainly don't expect any large percentage of people to dig Lightning Bolt or Gay Witch Abortion...
The audience in the lightning bolt vid says it all. They're teenage retards.

-RFtinkerer

Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:01 PM   #8
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Um, I'd have to disagree; they're very freely expressive rock fans who get to be participatory in an intimate show experience.

Teenage retards = the kids that mosh for the sake of moshing at shows of the ever-popular-these-days black/european metal genre; they're hardly a notch removed from the worst of all emo crap. Teenage retards = kids that unilaterally hold contempt for american pop culture of 1991-1998, completely missing the fact that this is the first period since the late 60s when the cool kids actaully got to run sh*t (ie: many tv commercials & marketing efforts, ren & stimpy, beavis & butthead, Rob Zombie pre-dragula, counterculture and its magazines etc...), and further missing the fact that Disney/Walmart/Hollywood/the greedy bastards mad about the demise of the 80s got its chokehold back on American pop culture after realizing that it basically lost memberships/allegiances/blind followers/sheep/money during the years subsequent to Nirvana exploding the walls that the record companies had so carefully built. ... Teenage retards are in love with descendants of the vibe created by the first American Pie films, and are perfectly fine with the social structures depicted in the Hollywood movies of the last 13 years of large high schools with stereotypical and cruel social structures. Teenage retards like music but eschew art and true and free expression. Teenage retards buy lots of equipment and learn technical aspects of trendy music with little to no understanding of the art behind or in it.

Lightning Bolt has a punk ethos, a middle finger directed at and a stick in the eye of convention. And it will continue to have a small but devoted following due to its simple yet complex structures (you don't have to listen close to a few songs to feel the skilled jazz timing shifts), and an intensity that has noting to do with the ridiculous alpha male aggro-rock & pseudo metal that exists these days & has been evolving steadily since Godsmack decided to leave Boston.

And FWIW before I get lynched for my comments abotu the 80s I want to make it clear that I hold a high amount of appreciation for Flipper, Black Flag, Big Black, Husker Du, REM, Slayer, Sepultura, Devo, and quite a few others from that era.

Last edited by ragejg : Feb 26, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:10 PM   #9
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Lightning Bolt:

Gay Witch Abortion:

WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Rambozo
Making Hit Documentaries

Rambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Rambozo, that was quite irrelevant to this thread, especially with no explanation to accompany the video you posted. On first it appears to be a middle finger stuck up at the OP, idk.

Heck, I like Hillstomp and Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, but that's for another day, another topic/thread.

Yeah, looking back I realize it was. It probably would have helped had I read the actual thread. I just saw some videos of local bands and thought "sweet! a thread about awesome local bands.", so I posted vids of Mountain Sprout. Probably not your cup of tea, but whatever.

Not trying to crap on your thread dude. I just overlooked the full context of it. Sorry bout that.

Btw, I feel insulted that you feel insulted by Mountain Sprout. They kick ass.

Not my fault, I voted Ron Paul.

Not my fault, I voted Badnarik.
Rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:17 PM   #11
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeM View Post
WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****
Here, is this better?

Ugh, I wanna puke. That sh** is like a warm glass of watered down milk with p1ss in it, wrapped in a gothic bow to me.

Last edited by ragejg : Mar 13, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:19 PM   #12
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
Yeah, looking back I realize it was. It probably would have helped had I read the actual thread. I just saw some videos of local bands and thought "sweet! a thread about awesome local bands.", so I posted vids of Mountain Sprout. Probably not your cup of tea, but whatever.

Not trying to crap on your thread dude. I just overlooked the full context of it. Sorry bout that.

Btw, I feel insulted that you feel insulted by Mountain Sprout. They kick ass.
Oh I'm not insulted by Mountain Sprout, IMHO they're cool and I'd definitely like to see them... along with the aforementioned Hillstomp etc... have you ever checked them out?

That's right, the snare is a 5-gal bucket. Awesome. DIY FTW.

Last edited by ragejg : Feb 26, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:27 PM   #13
DorXtar
SMILE!

Quote:
Um, I'd have to disagree; they're very freely expressive rock fans who get to be participatory in an intimate show experience.

Teenage retards = the kids that mosh for the sake of moshing at shows of the ever-popular-these-days black/european metal genre; they're hardly a notch removed from the worst of all emo crap. Teenage retards = kids that unilaterally hold contempt for american pop culture of 1991-1998, completely missing the fact that this is the first period since the late 60s when the cool kids actaully got to run sh*t (ie: many tv commercials & marketing efforts, ren & stimpy, beavis & butthead, Rob Zombie pre-dragula, counterculture and its magazines etc...), and further missing the fact that Disney/Walmart/Hollywood/the greedy bastards mad about the demise of the 80s got its chokehold back on American pop culture after realizing that it basically lost memberships/allegiances/blind followers/sheep/money during the years subsequent to Nirvana exploding the walls that the record companies had so carefully built. ... Teenage retards are in love with descendants of the vibe created by the first American Pie films, and are perfectly fine with the social structures depicted in the Hollywood movies of the last 13 years of large high schools with stereotypical and cruel social structures. Teenage retards like music but eschew art and true and free expression. Teenage retards buy lots of equipment and learn technical aspects of trendy music with little to no understanding of the art behind or in it.

Lightning Bolt has a punk ethos, a middle finger directed at and a stick in the eye of convention. And it will continue to have a small but devoted following due to its simple yet complex structures (you don't have to listen close to a few songs to feel the skilled jazz timing shifts), and an intensity that has noting to do with the ridiculous alpha male aggro-rock & pseudo metal that exists these days & has been evolving steadily since Godsmack decided to leave Boston.

And FWIW before I get lynched for my comments abotu the 80s I want to make it clear that I hold a high amount of appreciation for Flipper, Black Flag, Big Black, Husker Du, REM, Slayer, Sepultura, Devo, and quite a few others from that era.
Very informative post. I learned a lot. And the music itself isn't bad... but the kids in the video just make it look bad. You can tell in the lightning bolt video that the state of mind of the drummer and the kids surrounding him aren't in sync. Glad you cleared that up. I'll give the genre another shot.

-RFtinkerer

Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:34 PM   #14
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

why do they even use instruments form the main repetetive beat? A few loops in ableton or reason would be much easier with the same effect

your was a bit more melodic, compared to the rest of the related stuff posted, but still a bit too repetetive for my taste. But if you enjoy playing and recording it, then it serves its purpose

I do not hear any jazz in lightning bolt though, so im probably missing something and would need to give it a few more chances.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:38 PM   #15
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
why do they even use instruments form the main repetetive beat? A few loops in ableton or reason would be much easier with the same effect
Why press a key or do something like that the "easy and efficient way" when you can strain and sweat scrape your knuckles and come soo close to breaking a tightly wound instrument in front of a crowd itching for the visceral excitement of what Rock & Roll really is?

An organically created repetitive guitar track can lend itself to a near-spiritual experience live, and even when it's not reaching to those heights it still satisfies in a way that minimal PHYSICAL instrument interaction can. For reference please see The Desert Sessions, Queens of The Stone Age, Them Crooked Vuultures & Kyuss... oh and hell I'll throw Eagles of Death Metal and The White Stripes in there for good measure.

Play and open low E string tuned down to A, repetitively. Do it like a bump on a log. It sucks. Now shift your perspective and do the same thing, but break the pick, strain your arm and the instrument, put all of your self into it. Way different. Way better.

I was just thinking of something else I enjoy, but not quite as much as the same type of thing executed a little bit better IMO, a little weirder, a little more random, less marijuana (I'm not really all that about stoner doom), more drain cleaner... by The Melvins... this is still darn good though, if only for its sonic force:

Last edited by ragejg : Feb 26, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:44 PM   #16
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Why press a key or do something like that the "easy and efficient way" when you can strain and sweat scrape your knuckles and come soo close to breaking a tightly wound instrument in front of a crowd itching for the visceral excitement of what Rock & Roll really is?
I guess it depends on how one views rock and roll. for me its all about the audio component. the rest of the magic happens in my head. Everything besides the actual sound, is showbiz. I don't listen to jimi hendrix because he lit a guitar on stage, nor do i listen to the stooges because iggy cut himself, smeared peanut butter over himself and took his pants down

that's just me though.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:53 PM   #17
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

FWIW ganjastar I remember your sig and how cool I thought it was becasue one of my favorite Bands, The Melvins, specifically their well-respected frontman King Buzzo said when asked that if he had to descibe their sound he'd say it was "Captain Beefheart playing heavy metal". I lol.

And also, this may interest you, it may not, but your avatar caption "only human"... that's a very important closing lyric in one of the more important of the songs in a several-song EP I created (playing all instruments) back in '06... avail @ www.myspace.com/lowfiemphatic ... the song is "In The Sea", a sarcastic narrative of a band writing music that obviously has been done before, causing them to walk in the footsteps of the artists who came before them. Also on that page, the song "trust the flow" (also created in '06, a song about going along with a sudden change in life while holding up the middle finger and a cavalier smirk) has a video on my youtube page, www.youtube.com/ragejg ... there's other songs there too, but they're idea concepts mostly, excersizes on certain sounds I've had respect for over the years.

Last edited by ragejg : Feb 26, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:22 AM   #18
GanjaStar
Jalouise

Quote:
FWIW ganjastar I remember your sig and how cool I thought it was becasue one of my favorite Bands, The Melvins, specifically their well-respected frontman King Buzzo said when asked that if he had to descibe their sound he'd say it was "Captain Beefheart playing heavy metal". I lol.

And also, this may interest you, it may not, but your avatar caption "only human"... that's a very important closing lyric in one of the more important of the songs in a several-song EP I created (playing all instruments) back in '06... avail @ www.myspace.com/lowfiemphatic ... the song is "In The Sea", a sarcastic narrative of a band writing music that obviously has been done before, causing them to walk in the footsteps of the artists who came before them. Also on that page, the song "trust the flow" (also created in '06, a song about going along with a sudden change in life while holding up the middle finger and a cavalier smirk) has a video on my youtube page, www.youtube.com/ragejg ... there's other songs there too, but they're idea concepts mostly, excersizes on certain sounds I've had respect for over the years.
Will look into the melvins, anyone citing beefheart as their inspiration sparks my interest. Honestly, i never gave any genre of metal much of a chance, so I can't judge what i don't know.

Will give your songs a listen as well. If nothing else, I will hear something i rarely listen to

But I am aware that some music takes a while to grow on your and to have a broader understanding of it takes a certain mindset and a lot of listening.

I certainly didn't understand or enjoy every one of Captain beefheart tunes on the first listen, and some i still don't fully appreciate.

Thx for the links.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:25 PM   #19
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
Will look into the melvins, anyone citing beefheart as their inspiration sparks my interest. Honestly, i never gave any genre of metal much of a chance, so I can't judge what i don't know.

Will give your songs a listen as well. If nothing else, I will hear something i rarely listen to

But I am aware that some music takes a while to grow on your and to have a broader understanding of it takes a certain mindset and a lot of listening.

I certainly didn't understand or enjoy every one of Captain beefheart tunes on the first listen, and some i still don't fully appreciate.

Thx for the links.
No prob.

I find that the Captain Beefheart influence is present in The Melvins via their sense of humor and scattershot-yet-organized song structures. And I don't know if I'd call them metal per se, it's IMO a punk-derived hard rock; sludgy, shifty, with an identity all its own.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:49 PM   #20
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Something with a bit more groove, from our band... let it build/grow, and watch in 480p, not 360:

Last edited by ragejg : Apr 26, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:58 AM   #21
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Aww, dang it.

I gotta bump this. I'm fairly certain that the music in the OP is VERY much not for mass consumption, but I do think that this last song I uploaded definitely has more universal appeal. I think it can be dug by "classic rock" fans as well as listeners of what is called doom and stoner rock (which is a sad label for the music as it really marginalizes it) these days.

It seems that PC hardware enthusiasts have a very low concentration of enthusiasm for the types of music I'm into.... I don't mind.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:40 AM   #22
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

lol, we played at a kinda major Rochester NY hardcore show a couple nights ago... haha we're NOT hardcore, but we were plenty hard and got a good reception despite being amongst people that have not much at all to do with what we could call a fan base. Got another show booking out of it, and as a matter of fact we have two gigs scheduled for April 22.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:11 PM   #23
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Our flyer for upcoming show friday:

And a band shot:

Last edited by ragejg : Apr 6, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:01 AM   #24
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

So last nite we played our show at Dub Land... it went pretty well. I didn't drop a stick once!

We have attracted the attention of a couple different promoters. We're STILL trying to figure out a new name, but more and more people are knowing us as Cheebahawk.

We also have a recording studio that wants us to come up and do an album.... for a reduced price.

So upcoming we have two gigs on April 22, and then we're also gonna play a show on the last day of Metal Fest in Rochester.

So things are coming along nicely...

I have some pics/video of last nite, I'll put it up soon-ish.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:00 AM   #25
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

Woohoo, time for another post in the thread no one gives a derp about.

We had two gigs in one day yesterday, one to start off the Earth Day celebrations at Finger Lakes Community College, and then we played at Elixir in Rochester that night.

Here's our opening track:

Up next: Metalfest. Then a few more gigs. And there is talk now of a tour.

Last edited by ragejg : Apr 26, 2011 at 02:02 PM.