Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MrB
drunk manslut

MrB is still being judged by the masses

Default Interview with ATi's Terry Makedon

Anton Nilsson from NordicHardware asks ATI's ever personable driver manager Terry Makedon some driver questions. Here's a sample:
[NH] ATi has really improved their reputation when it comes to driver quality over the past two years or so. What would you personally point out as the key factors behind these improvements?

[ATi] June 2002 changed the landscape for us. At that time we launched CATALYST, which was widely regarded as a major stepping-stone for Visual Processing Unit (VPU) software. In fact we invented the concept of a VPU software suite (combining more than just graphic card drivers), along with other innovations (that was also the first time a simple slider let the user choose the performance/image quality). So enough with the history lesson, how did it happen?

As a company, we were not satisfied with the state of our drivers. They were plagued by problems, were not being released frequently, and got a little stale in the feature department. We regrouped and decided that VPU software was a core for focus for ATI, and we were determined to take the necessary steps to attain market leadership. Clearly we wanted to be the innovators (and not the imitators) in that field. After considerable investment in people, tools, process, and a shift in mindset, we embarked on the CATALYST voyage. Which brings us to the present day, with recent user poll resoundly indicating that ATI has vastly improved software performance.

[NH] How do you prioritize what games/applications should get the most attention? Do you simply go by sales figures, the graveness of the problems or perhaps some other preferences?

[ATi] CATALYST CREW is key in assisting in this process. We usually go by the number of reports a certain bug has. For anyone that does not know, CATALYST CREW is a key component for driver feedback. . It is a web-based form that lets users enter problem reports (or even feature suggestions). We read each and every one of those reports and run them through a database that spits out reports of problem reports per application. That way we can easily isolate the most pressing issues our users are facing, and take the steps to resolving them. Below is a link to it and I suggest everyone use it.

http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/

Check out the rest of Terry Makedon's great driver words.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:36 AM   #2
logen1869F
Banned

logen1869F is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
R42x – You wont be disappointed
logen1869F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:53 AM   #3
DarkSithPro
Radeon Evergreen

DarkSithPro is still being judged by the masses

"Linux – Cheap alternative"

Buhahahaha!!!

They didn't ask about 3d glasses. damnit!
DarkSithPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 23, 2004, 03:20 AM   #4
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Uriel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkSithPro
"Linux – Cheap alternative"

Buhahahaha!!!

They didn't ask about 3d glasses. damnit!
hehehe I specifically didn't want to ask about 3d glasses or SSAA basically because I *****ed about that in my last interview with ATi
Old Mar 24, 2004, 08:58 AM   #5
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Hey, nice interview...

[NH] Will ATi better the current profiling system? I.e. will we get per game profiles that work without having to change the settings manually each time?

[ATi] I can't talk about our future features in depth, but rest assured we have some real innovation coming down the line. CATALYST themes are three clearly defined principles: stability, performance, innovation. So based on that I guess it's a safe assumption to make, that we have something awesome coming.

Oh my...
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 09:52 AM   #6
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

TheMonkeyBoyz is still being judged by the masses

I still think his stance on LCD resizing is wrong.

At least give us the option to have a resolution centered on the screen with black
bars all around it. That way you get the game looking as intended in its original
pixel size, not distorted as it is stretched to meet the edges of the screen.

If you have a 1600x1200 LCD and your game goes at 1024x768, you should be
able to have pixel bars on all 4 sides so that your screen image is centered on
the LCD and takes up exactly 1024 wide and 768 down.

Just at an option, at the very least. No reason not to have both in there just
because he personally prefers the stretched out look.

I guess that is one area where CRT's still rule.
TheMonkeyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote