Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 28, 2022, 08:25 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

We'll see what happens once we get into the holiday season. Typically fuel prices tend to peak over summer so we probably haven't seen the worst yet. Whether they tail off later in the year and by how much may tell us something.

Curbing inflation can't hurt either though I'm not sure how much help we'd see there. While the rate may be transitory the price increases tend to get baked in unless we see deflation. Fuel costs have have are often volatile though so who knows.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2022, 10:10 AM   #62
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

The Ford Maveric is interesting.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps - HP OMEN 27i -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:34 AM   #63
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
We'll see what happens once we get into the holiday season. Typically fuel prices tend to peak over summer so we probably haven't seen the worst yet. Whether they tail off later in the year and by how much may tell us something.

Curbing inflation can't hurt either though I'm not sure how much help we'd see there. While the rate may be transitory the price increases tend to get baked in unless we see deflation. Fuel costs have have are often volatile though so who knows.
Demand destruction is more likely to to lead to price reduction than deflation. We'll slow inflation with the rate increases, but I don't know about deflation..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:24 AM   #64
Jankan
Banged

Jankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

So we have to get a new car as my lease has run out on our edge. Want to get something bigger, can't believe the edge is too small for 2 kids lol and was looking at a 7 seater. Car prices are crazy at the moment, i am not willing to pay $1000 for a lease so the only options we have is Kia Telluride or Ford explorer. Wife doesn't like the Kia so we have gone back to Ford but the issue we have there is there is almost no stock of anything. I wanted the hybrid but the earliest we can get it is 4 - 6 months from now so we went for the ST. Not the best choice with gas prices but its not the best time to be in the market for a car. This is what we are getting on Monday

Old Jun 3, 2022, 02:35 PM   #65
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

that actually doesn't look bad (for a Ford). As for the prices, well, they are going through the roof lately. In numbers: the increase is around 30% compared to the prices in 2021. Crazy, absolutely crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2022, 04:55 PM   #66
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankan View Post
So we have to get a new car as my lease has run out on our edge. Want to get something bigger, can't believe the edge is too small for 2 kids lol and was looking at a 7 seater. Car prices are crazy at the moment, i am not willing to pay $1000 for a lease so the only options we have is Kia Telluride or Ford explorer. Wife doesn't like the Kia so we have gone back to Ford but the issue we have there is there is almost no stock of anything. I wanted the hybrid but the earliest we can get it is 4 - 6 months from now so we went for the ST. Not the best choice with gas prices but its not the best time to be in the market for a car. This is what we are getting on Monday

That car is dope af. Congrats!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2022, 05:09 PM   #67
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That looks really good Jankan
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:30 PM   #68
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Kinda looks like the Grand Cherokee. Saw a white one for sale here recently for 98k CAD.

Slightly Used.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:34 PM   #69
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

So I just finished up a week long vacation/road trip with stops in:

- Dubuque, IA
- Davenport, IA (1 night)
- St. Louis, MO (1 night)
- Memphis, TN (2 nights)
- Nashville, TN (2 nights)
- Mammoth Cave National Park
- Louisville, KY (1 night)

Details regarding our trip and the cost of driving an EV (Tesla) versus an ICE (gasoline) vehicle:

Total miles driven: 1973
Total cost of charging: $212.44 (only done at Tesla Superchargers)

Comparison for an ICE vehicle getting 30mpg using regular unleaded fuel (obviously if your vehicle doesn't get 30mpg you would pay even more):

$302.50 @ $4.60 a gallon (current home town price)
$374.17 @ $5.69 a gallon (price we saw in Chicago area - a few places were actually higher)

Please note that Tesla Supercharging is currently much more expensive (trip average was ~ $0.34 per kWh) versus home charging (~$0.11 per kWh via my utility company).

Despite this, there was still a significant savings.

Also, I never had to wait for a supercharger. I never had to deal with range anxiety. I relied strictly on Tesla navigation and charging instructions.

I did encounter a gas station where ICE cars were queued to use the pumps though.

Last edited by Clockwork : Jun 5, 2022 at 12:26 PM.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:30 AM   #70
Renocide
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Renocide is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Yeah but I'm sure there was a huge cost when, after you plugged in, your entire city lost power and went totally dark.

Leading to a night of hell with murder in the streets and burning homes. Chaos sweeping through your streets with women and babies screaming in fear.

And then there is you....counting your saved money in middle of it all.

You and your electric car will be the end of the world!!

Old Jun 5, 2022, 01:02 AM   #71
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Regarding gas prices, I don't think this gets any better.

Right now oil and gas companies are sitting on leases, and not investing in new equipment. They didn't during the demand downturn of 2020-2021, and they won't now.

Why would they?

They're taking all of their free cash flow and doing share buybacks because in the short term it keeps stock prices up. But in the long term they all see the writing on the wall. Battery electric vehicles over the next decade are going to increasingly eat into their demand. The production investments they haven't been making the past few years, they won't suddenly pick up now since none of this will pay out over a 10+ year timeframe.

I think the high gas prices we're seeing are here to stay and will only get worse.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2022, 05:14 AM   #72
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

- Dubuque, IA
- Davenport, IA (1 night)
- St. Louis, MO (1 night)
- Memphis, TN (2 nights)
- Nashville, TN (2 nights)
- Mammoth Cave National Park
- Louisville, KY (1 night)

Details regarding our trip and the cost of driving an EV (Tesla) versus an ICE (gasoline) vehicle:

Total miles driven: 1973
Total cost of charging: $212.44 (only done at Tesla Superchargers)

Comparison for an ICE vehicle getting 30mpg using regular unleaded fuel (obviously if your vehicle doesn't get 30mpg you would pay even more):

$302.50 @ $4.60 a gallon (current home town price)
$374.17 @ $5.69 a gallon (price we saw in Chicago area - a few places were actually higher)

Please note that Tesla Supercharging is currently much more expensive (~ $0.36 per kWh) versus home charging (~$0.11 per kWh via my utility company).

Despite this, there was still a significant savings.

Also, I never had to wait for a supercharger. I never had to deal with range anxiety. I relied strictly on Tesla navigation and charging instructions.

I did encounter a gas station where ICE cars were queued to use the pumps though.

How many more miles + time added to the trip for charger routing? I guess it would take effort to compare, but doesn't the Tesla nav automatically route you for charging? Could add miles, and if the ICE doesn't have to detour for charging it can reduce the mileage on that travel.

Honestly that's significantly less savings than what I thought it was with the way EV people talk about it.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jun 5, 2022, 08:01 AM   #73
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Honestly that's significantly less savings than what I thought it was with the way EV people talk about it.
Pretty much all charging was generally within the existing route I was taking.

Regarding cost:

1) I used Superchargers exclusively
2) Supercharging is ~3 times as expensive as my home rate right now. When I am not traveling I am paying peanuts compared to an ICE driver.
3) 90% of charging is done at home
4) My example comparison used a 30 mpg car. A fair amount of people have vehicles that get less than that.

Anyway, Tesla navigation will route you to chargers and will only do so if you will actually need to charge before getting to your destination. The longest I spent at a Supercharger was 45 minutes (partially a full charge) and the shortest was 7 minutes.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 08:16 AM   #74
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I mean, when you're on the road doing a longer trip, superchargers are really the only option unless you don't value your time.

30mpg highway isn't that great. I think most people can get to 30 or +/- 2mpg of it. Highway was the large majority of your driving on this trip, I'd assume? Would also add that ICE are getting significantly better MPG than 30 highway these days. My GFs 2020 Jetta managed 42.1mpg over ~650 mile trip, based off the fuel calculator I used for that ride.

Meh. I'd be interested in seeing the route if you hadn't used an EV, compare the miles, the total time spent charging, etc.

Last edited by Nunz : Jun 5, 2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:39 AM   #75
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Gas 5.40 to 5.50 here today

as for superchargers what does using them a lot that do to your batteries

and what kind of charge can you get from a supercharger on a 115f day

and am i going to have to close in the carport and put a air conditioner on it for long battery life
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:10 PM   #76
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

So I took the time to do a breakdown:

One thing of note is EPA rated versus actual mileage. The car is much less efficient at high speeds. In many of these areas, despite lower posted speed limits I was going anywhere from 70-85 mph (people drive like crazy in the south - at least in MO, TN, KY, and IN. Don't even get me started, lol) which is an EV range killer.

Anyway, the same amount of kWh charging from my wall charger would have been only $69.63.

On a side note, I am convinced that some of you regardless of how positive the outcome will still find things to **** on. *shrug*

Last edited by Clockwork : Jun 5, 2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:26 PM   #77
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nice, thanks for the detailed info. That's another good note.. speed. EV drops off hard. The NJ Turnpike is regularly 80mph+. I still get 34-35ish MPG in the Jetta at 80mph.

Lots of time spent charging. What did you do while waiting? Stretch legs/grab a snack?

Last edited by Nunz : Jun 5, 2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:50 PM   #78
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Nice, thanks for the detailed info. That's another good note.. speed. EV drops off hard. The NJ Turnpike is regularly 80mph+. I still get 34-35ish MPG in the Jetta at 80mph.

Lots of time spent charging. What did you do while waiting? Stretch legs/grab a snack?
One time we had lunch, another we ate breakfast. Otherwise yeah, stretch legs/grab a snack, go to the bathroom, etc. (lots of Superchargers are by HyVees and Meijers). Sometimes we just explored the local vicinity. At one stop (Jackson, TN in the parking lot of the Casey Jones Home & Railroad Museum) I caught this gem:

It reminded me of this:

https://youtu.be/dD2WT8SeOSw

LOL

I know it's different strokes for different folks, but not once did we feel constrained by charging in terms of the time sink involved.

Last edited by Clockwork : Jun 5, 2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 01:03 PM   #79
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

maybe by 2025 they will have the electric cadillac escalade range up to 450 to 500+

it will most likely be 150k +

i would like to get 6 to 8 hours at 75 freeway without stopping for a hour plus
Old Jun 5, 2022, 01:52 PM   #80
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

One thing of note is EPA rated versus actual mileage. The car is much less efficient at high speeds. In many of these areas, despite lower posted speed limits I was going anywhere from 70-85 mph (people drive like crazy in the south - at least in MO, TN, KY, and IN. Don't even get me started, lol) which is an EV range killer.

Anyway, the same amount of kWh charging from my wall charger would have been only $69.63.

On a side note, I am convinced that some of you regardless of how positive the outcome will still find things to **** on. *shrug*
Using *very* rough numbers, just to account for all driving conditions etc, the same trip in my Frontier would have been roughly $300 more than what you paid.

Like I said, very rough estimate there, but even with a large margin for error I would have spent at least twice that.

That’s pretty nice
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2022, 04:41 PM   #81
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

yea i can't buy one

been screaming at Ford to take my money for the Lighting
and Tesla solar for the charger takes them 8 weeks for a redesign- they are slow
because they ****ed up the first one - why would i want my solar cells on the north facing part of the roof

so 200k sitting in my checking account deflating
Old Jun 5, 2022, 07:20 PM   #82
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

How much idle time sitting doing nothing was added?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:51 PM   #83
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
How much idle time sitting doing nothing was added?
If the charging time is what you're asking about, based off his chart with some estimations (using his 90% charge in 44min), it wasn't a tiny amount of time, but seems like they made use of the charging time rather than just sitting in the car idle.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:43 AM   #84
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

I think people **** on EV ownership because theres a ton of EV zealots who completely ignore the drawbacks of EV ownership in order to tout the benefits of EV ownership and virtue signal planet saving..... Its basically just saying "suck it up princess" to all its faults as if thats the way things go.....that kind of makes the EV zealots seem like a bunch of pompous asshats.

We like seeing real world stuff from people who can actually acknowledge that EV's arent ideal for every use case yet.

For me personally im convinced that Tesla is the ideal EV to get at this point....but you're stuck with the best AND one of the worst EV's out there I think. I definately do not want one, and if I were to get an EV today...i think the Polestar lineup might be the leading candidate.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2022, 01:16 AM   #85
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
If the charging time is what you're asking about, based off his chart with some estimations (using his 90% charge in 44min), it wasn't a tiny amount of time, but seems like they made use of the charging time rather than just sitting in the car idle.

Yeah im looking for an honest response of, we ate didnt really need to charge vs we really need to charge and wasted time. More interested in the time spent stopping where he normally wouldnt stop in an ice car.

Old Jun 6, 2022, 03:37 AM   #86
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Totally onboard with that. Taking the time to make that chart was cool though. I would be super curious what the route/mileage would have looked like on an ICE compared to the Tesla routing.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 03:49 AM   #87
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

https://chargehub.com/en/Charging-Stations-Map.html

kind of sparce on the scenic routes in the west
Old Jun 6, 2022, 09:27 AM   #88
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Totally onboard with that. Taking the time to make that chart was cool though. I would be super curious what the route/mileage would have looked like on an ICE compared to the Tesla routing.
Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't bother to make note of the time (and could only list times where the billing was per minute versus per kWh). I didn't even think to bother because well. Like I said, at least for us it was rather inconsequential. I acknowledge that that won't be the case for all folks.

What I can say is that if anything, I charged for more/longer than I needed to. Tesla nav does a pretty good job of knowing exactly what you will need to get to your destination (and I observed there was actually a pretty decent buffer - 50 miles or more that they pad in). I often charged well beyond that point (sticking to a 90-100% charge trip schedule). The Kenosha stop is an example where I did listen, and that stop was 12 minutes. We got home (about 15 min south of Green Bay) with 48 miles of charge.

I really don't know what to tell ya. I suspect some people will agree it's no bother and some will think it's the worst thing ever.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:17 AM   #89
logical
What is my purpose?

With the way gas prices are here in california.. its looking like a better option to go EV with the next car(probably like 5-6 years out for both cars)

Im not worried about driving in city cause we got chargers up the ass around here. Also not worried about charging at home(Ill have them install a charger, I own) The concern is long trips, but we rarely drive super long that one full charge wouldnt be enough.

Hows the EV range if you drive it like you stole it? I drive pretty aggressive and I dont think I would enjoy not being able to use its power all the time.

2k miles for your trip is like 5 fillups in the SUV which is about 500+ bucks in cali prices. You def saved a lot of money from gas.

Last edited by logical : Jun 6, 2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:31 AM   #90
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
With the way gas prices are here in california.. its looking like a better option to go EV with the next car(probably like 5-6 years out for both cars)

Im not worried about driving in city cause we got chargers up the ass around here. Also not worried about charging at home(Ill have them install a charger, I own) The concern is long trips, but we rarely drive super long that one full charge wouldnt be enough.

Hows the EV range if you drive it like you stole it? I drive pretty aggressive and I dont think I would enjoy not being able to use its power all the time.
range seems to drop off a cliff after a going certain speed (same as ICE, mileage drops off a cliff after a certain speed)....Ive been reading an EV roadtrip story on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...phev_for_road/
And it seems fair and non-EV bashing. Sounds like a pain in the ass depending on what EV you have, where you are and where you're going.

Owning a Tesla pretty much alleviates alot of the issues mainly cuz Tesla has the range and the supercharger network is way better than the electrify and others charging network.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote