Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 26, 2021, 01:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Buddy's Rvian R1T

Took it for a spin, just as much torque as my model 3. Very comfortable drive and all the features are super nice. Software still kinda buggy though.

I'll get interior shots later if I can.

Old Dec 26, 2021, 02:35 PM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That…is a really good looking truck. How’s the ride and handling?
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I love these things, I want one. Hope they're as good as they seem, long term.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 26, 2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

That is a sweet looking truck. Hopefully by the time I get an EV the cost will be comparable to ICE models, and the range and charging will be better. I'm in no hurry, but all that instant power sounds pretty sweet.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2021, 03:59 PM   #5
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
That…is a really good looking truck. How’s the ride and handling?

Ride is pretty good, so's the handling,.

You can switch modes like sport that lowers it and off road that raises it etc. I just drop off my buddy at the airport, he told me I can use it while he's gone so I'll probably test it out a bit more over the next two week till he comes back

Last edited by CyanBlues : Dec 26, 2021 at 04:05 PM.
CyanBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2021, 04:09 PM   #6
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
Ride is pretty good, so's the handling,.

You can switch modes like sport that lowers it and off road that raises it etc. I just drop off my buddy at the airport, he told me I can use it while he's gone so I'll probably test it out a bit more over the next two week till he comes back
Quality time with the buddies ride, nice
Old Dec 26, 2021, 04:29 PM   #7
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Go off road and tell us if it really is surreal to only hear the pebbles crunching under the tires without the roar of an engine!

Also did he get the induction burner option for camping?
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2021, 05:35 PM   #8
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Go off road and tell us if it really is surreal to only hear the pebbles crunching under the tires without the roar of an engine!

Also did he get the induction burner option for camping?

he didn't get the burner since it was an additional 5k and he said he doesn't go camping enough to make it worth it.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 06:02 PM   #9
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Camper burner would be pretty cool if you could make use of it.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I just priced a Rivian Truck just for the heck of it. $74k for the base truck…that’s about on par with Fords EV isn’t it?

Heh, it’s out of my price range either way.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 09:27 AM   #11
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I am so jealous.

Edit: I thought it would have way more torque vs a model 3?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:23 AM   #12
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think they look awsome. I like the towing capacity. I do not like the 62% range loss when towing though. You can get about 200 kms when towing. It will improve though and I still hope to get one of these or a Ford Lighting for my next truck, but Manitoba and the rest of Canada really need to get on charging stations in campgrounds, provincial parks and smaller towns.

I also need to know its range with a good load in winter. I use my truck for ice fishing.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 03:07 PM   #13
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
I just priced a Rivian Truck just for the heck of it. $74k for the base truck…that’s about on par with Fords EV isn’t it?

yeah the prices of EVs are still kinda insane.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 03:49 PM   #14
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not spending that kind of money on something that can only go 300 miles before I have to stop and charge it for an hour just to go another 100 or so. Maybe in ten years they'll have that fixed, but right now it's not for me. Plus once the battery pack dies, that costs more than a transmission plus engine swap.

I actually considered it, but then I used my upcoming mountain trip as a reason why I'm not ready for one yet. It's a 140 mile trip each way to the cabin. There's no charging station there at the cabin obviously, and that 300 mile range will get cut substantially by the 1000lbs or more I'll be hauling up there in wood and gear.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 04:24 PM   #15
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

id wait for the solid state batteries to come out in a few years. Quick charging and massive improved range.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 05:54 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
id wait for the solid state batteries to come out in a few years. Quick charging and massive improved range.
How far off will that actually be? Been hearing about that stuff for feels like 20+ years now. Remember reading about batteries in Popular Science in the late 90s that were going to be able to be charged as fast as a capacitor while still holding tons of energy, still waiting on that.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:39 PM   #17
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
How far off will that actually be? Been hearing about that stuff for feels like 20+ years now. Remember reading about batteries in Popular Science in the late 90s that were going to be able to be charged as fast as a capacitor while still holding tons of energy, still waiting on that.

Many companies working on it one is Quantumscape. They had issues but recently fixed their dendrite problem. The only thing left I think is mass production. Another is Solid Power. Those 2 have automaker backing so I think its meant to happen in a reasonable timeframe.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:01 PM   #18
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Looks great. What kind of miles can you put on one charge?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:28 PM   #19
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Yeah, I'm not spending that kind of money on something that can only go 300 miles before I have to stop and charge it for an hour just to go another 100 or so. Maybe in ten years they'll have that fixed, but right now it's not for me. Plus once the battery pack dies, that costs more than a transmission plus engine swap.

I actually considered it, but then I used my upcoming mountain trip as a reason why I'm not ready for one yet. It's a 140 mile trip each way to the cabin. There's no charging station there at the cabin obviously, and that 300 mile range will get cut substantially by the 1000lbs or more I'll be hauling up there in wood and gear.
And that 300 miles is empty/no trailer - I’ll stick with my dirty internal combustion for a while longer lol.

I file these things under “Really cool but not for me yet”.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 06:04 PM   #20
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

2006 toyota sequoia sr5 height comparison, R1T is in standard height mode.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 06:05 PM   #21
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
I am so jealous.

Edit: I thought it would have way more torque vs a model 3?

It feels about the same to me, but it is suppose to be 0-60 3 sec so it should be more.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 08:13 AM   #22
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I hope to have a Rivian R1S with the max pack battery one day.
So many good electric options coming out in 2022/23.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 06:19 PM   #23
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/12...lip-into-2023/

Rivian tells buyers of trucks, SUVs with 400-mile range to wait until 2023
Ongoing supply chain woes mean more delays for early adopters.

Glad your friend was able to get the truck at all. Not sure an extra 85 miles of range is worth the wait.

Edit: Ah husky beat me to it without the article!
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2021, 06:47 AM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/12...lip-into-2023/

Rivian tells buyers of trucks, SUVs with 400-mile range to wait until 2023
Ongoing supply chain woes mean more delays for early adopters.

Glad your friend was able to get the truck at all. Not sure an extra 85 miles of range is worth the wait.

Edit: Ah husky beat me to it without the article!
Hopefully they don't get bit by announcing when they'll be offering more range, might lose them some sales in the interim.