Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:18 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
rms
Radeon R420

rms is still being judged by the masses

Cool

Phew, got in an order on amd.com, just in time I guess, now it's OOS everywhere. At least they sent the game codes right away, so I can look at RE2
rms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:24 AM   #32
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-02/...deon-vii-test/

they did a lot of tests and especially 5K test frametimes results look very interesting.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:42 AM   #33
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

So basically the gist is AMD had too release something, rushed it and it isn't ready for release but they did it anyways.

Power hungry and hot and sits around the level of a 2 year old product from the competition.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:12 PM   #34
rms
Radeon R420

rms is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
So basically the gist is AMD had too release something, rushed it and it isn't ready for release but they did it anyways.

Power hungry and hot and sits around the level of a 2 year old product from the competition.
And I'm ok with all of that! I looked at a few of the early video reviews, and while all had driver complaints, all show it to be a definite upgrade over the Vega64LC at roughly the same power&noise envelope, so barring a disaster of some sort I feel comfortable with replacing one with the other and hopefully recovering some of the cost selling the old card.
rms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:23 PM   #35
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
And I'm ok with all of that! I looked at a few of the early video reviews, and while all had driver complaints, all show it to be a definite upgrade over the Vega64LC at roughly the same power&noise envelope, so barring a disaster of some sort I feel comfortable with replacing one with the other and hopefully recovering some of the cost selling the old card.
Rumor has it they only made 1,000 of them Good luck finding one in stock
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:39 PM   #36
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

power the same as vega 64

too high for CFX

looks like a pass
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:40 PM   #37
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

It runs cooler than both the Nvidia reference 2080 and 2080ti (there are 3rd party vendors that have them running cooler than reference), it does consume more power straight out of the box (see my response below about the power results) . It wins some and it loses some in comparison to the 2080, however there are some serious weird results with a couple games like Overwatch.. where it performs worse than the 1080, yet beats the 2080 in others. Sounds more like a driver issue than a hardware issue in those situations.

As for the comment about 2 year old product.. that is really just manipulation, considering that there is only 1 consumer gaming card that is faster, the 2080ti. So, it trades blows with the second fastest consumer gaming card. Just because it doesn't compete with the top dog, doesn't mean it is a bad thing, nor does it mean they are 2 years behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

too high for CFX

looks like a pass
we might need to wait a bit on this conclusion. only a few reviews out, but 1 shows total system power only 8 watts more than the 2080 system (with double the memory to power, that is pretty much even), and 45 watts less than the vega II. Another doesn't specify if it is card only or system power, but shows it to be 20 watts more than the Vega 64 system, and 90 watts more than the 2080 system. I hope we see more reviews and a more solid results over the course of today and tomorrow. Even as I mentioned above, some of the benchmarks just don't make sense (overwatch)

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 7, 2019 at 12:53 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:01 PM   #38
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Rumour has it that the 16GB of HBM2 accounts for half the price of the card.

Also, you have to feed those transistors in power and cooling for nothing.

Oh well...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:01 PM   #39
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
It runs cooler than both the Nvidia reference 2080 and 2080ti (there are 3rd party vendors that have them running cooler than reference), it does consume more power straight out of the box (see my response below about the power results) . It wins some and it loses some in comparison to the 2080, however there are some serious weird results with a couple games like Overwatch.. where it performs worse than the 1080, yet beats the 2080 in others. Sounds more like a driver issue than a hardware issue in those situations.

As for the comment about 2 year old product.. that is really just manipulation, considering that there is only 1 consumer gaming card that is faster, the 2080ti. So, it trades blows with the second fastest consumer gaming card. Just because it doesn't compete with the top dog, doesn't mean it is a bad thing, nor does it mean they are 2 years behind.

we might need to wait a bit on this conclusion. only a few reviews out, but 1 shows total system power only 8 watts more than the 2080 system (with double the memory to power, that is pretty much even), and 45 watts less than the vega II. Another doesn't specify if it is card only or system power, but shows it to be 20 watts more than the Vega 64 system, and 90 watts more than the 2080 system. I hope we see more reviews and a more solid results over the course of today and tomorrow. Even as I mentioned above, some of the benchmarks just don't make sense (overwatch)
4k it does not beat the 2080 or my 1080 ti Strix and sucks a lot more sucks a lot more power doing a bare match in performance so more power more heat to the room
https://legitreviews.com/wp-content/...omb-4k-vii.png

two of these in CFX would be a space heater

unless drivers get 15% to 25% more performance in 4k games I can't see replacing my 1080 ti Strix for this .

Last edited by bill dennison : Feb 7, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:02 PM   #40
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Lol black screens and 114 C temps with Jayz. Wtf?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:16 PM   #41
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

too high for CFX

looks like a pass
According to Jayztwocents there is no CFX.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:20 PM   #42
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
4k it does not beat the 2080 or my 1080 ti Strix and sucks a lot more sucks a lot more power doing a bare match in performance so more power more heat to the room

unless drivers get 15% to 25% more performance in 4k games I can't see replacing my 1080 ti Strix for this .
Id like to see auto undervolting tested.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.12.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.12.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:29 PM   #43
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

We already knew it wouldn't be 15% to 25% faster than the 1080ti.. what are you smoking Bill?

As for the rest: it all depends on who is doing the review and what games (it wins some and it loses some to the 2080) and it runs cooler, just draws more power:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,1.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,12.html (tomb raider results - only 2 fps between the 2080 and Vega II, that is pretty much a tie)
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,7.html (tempurature)

Quote:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,6.html (power draw - you stated nothing about 1080ti/2080)

Quote:
According to Jayztwocents there is no CFX.
They didn't have CFX for Vega 64 till 3 months after launch either. So it's hard to say right now.

~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 7, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:41 PM   #44
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
It all depends on who is doing the review and what games (it wins some and it loses some to the 2080) and it runs cooler, just draws more power:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,1.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,9.html

run the fans higher of course it runs cooler and is 11 db noisier than a piss poor FE card or 18 db higher than my 2080 ti strix

but still puts out more heat to the room

Vega 2 fail strike 2

2080 ti strix 275 watts
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...preview,7.html

vega 2 299 watts or more in most reviews

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,6.html

power to performance still sucks

on to waiting for navi

Last edited by bill dennison : Feb 7, 2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:53 PM   #45
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Id like to see auto undervolting tested.
might help

but as it stands it can't beet a 2 year old 1080 ti FE in most games at 4k and uses more power and makes more noise
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:54 PM   #46
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,9.html

run the fans higher of course it runs cooler and is 11 db noisier than a piss poor FE card or 18 db higher than my 2080 ti strix

but still puts out more heat to the room

Vega 2 fail strike 2

on to waiting for navi
Actually, I have never had any 3 fan combination be the cause of the noise due to fans speed or the fans themselves.. all of them where caused by the shroud and heat sink turbulence (I have 4 different models/brands sitting in my closet as we speak) .. so without actualy seeing the rpm's of the fans, we have no idea how fast they are going, or if the noise is caused by the fan speed. That is pure assumption on your part.

Quote:
2080 ti strix 275 watts
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...preview,7.html
vega 2 299 watts or more in most reviews

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,6.html

power to performance still sucks
This was not your original argument, This was:
Quote:
There was no mention of the 1080ti, or 2080 in your original argument, nor did I ever state it was less.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 7, 2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 01:58 PM   #47
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Actually, I have never had any 3 fan combination be the cause of the noise due to fans speed or the fans themselves.. all of them where caused by the shroud and heat sink turbulence (I have 4 different models/brands sitting in my closet as we speak) .. so without actualy seeing the rpm's of the fans, we have no idea how fast they are going, or if the noise is caused by the fan speed. That is pure assumption on your part.

This was not your original argument, This was:
well you buy one

I won't be .
Old Feb 7, 2019, 02:04 PM   #48
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
well you buy one

I won't be .
Why the need to air your purchase decisions to everyone Bill? What's the point? I never even once disclosed my thoughts about purchasing one or not. I have no reason to do so, as it has nothing to do with the discussion/debate.

Old Feb 7, 2019, 02:19 PM   #49
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well NWR I actually bought a Vega VII. I thought WTF I can afford it and you can’t take it with you. Went online and the stock literally listed as I was looking so I snagged a Sapphire card for £658 inc next day delivery. I thought with that 3 fan cooler it must be quieter than my Vega 64. Then I started reading the reviews and the one that really surprised me was Techreport who are usually very good and fair reviews. They couldn’t recommend it as it was too hot and noisy and its 99th percentile performance was pants with visible stuttering. They did say this could be improved by better drivers down the line but in its current state the card was poor value.

I then looked at other reviews and everyone of them mentioned the noise levels being worse than Vega 64 and it was even noisy in games menus which is unacceptable TBH. So I rang the e-tailer and cancelled my order and the money will be back in my account tomorrow. Obviously it’s my own fault as I bought the card before the reviews came out and obviously I wouldn’t have bought it if I had read them.

TBH I can live with the heat and power draw but what i find an absolute no no is the noise. Once again AMD have thrown everything at making the card perform against one of its rivals cards and have totally ignored the power, thermals and noise that is generated to get it there. AMD need to realise that these things do matter to consumers as well as performance and until they can get those metrics right they are going to struggle.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 02:21 PM   #50
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Well NWR I actually bought a Vega VII. I thought WTF I can afford it and you can’t take it with you. Went online and the stock literally listed as I was looking so I snagged a Sapphire card for £658 inc next day delivery. I thought with that 3 fan cooler it must be quieter than my Vega 64. Then I started reading the reviews and the one that really surprised me was Techreport who are usually very good and fair reviews. They couldn’t recommend it as it was too hot and noisy and its 99th percentile performance was pants with visible stuttering. They did say this could be improved by better drivers down the line but in its current state the card was poor value.

I then looked at other reviews and everyone of them mentioned the noise levels being worse than Vega 64 and it was even noisy in games menus which is unacceptable TBH. So I rang the e-tailer and cancelled my order and the money will be back in my account tomorrow. Obviously it’s my own fault as I bought the card before the reviews came out and obviously I wouldn’t have bought it if I had read them.

TBH I can live with the heat and power draw but what i find an absolute no no is the noise. Once again AMD have thrown everything at making the card perform against one of its rivals cards and have totally ignored the power, thermals and noise that is generated to get it there. AMD need to realise that these things do matter to consumers as well as performance and until they can get those metrics right they are going to struggle.
Just look for a used 1080Ti, Nvidia supports Freesync on your monitor now, you can save some money and you still win.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 02:31 PM   #51
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Just look for a used 1080Ti, Nvidia supports Freesync on your monitor now, you can save some money and you still win.
Because I bought the card when I cancelled my order I saw a very nice Palit OC 2080 for £659 on a rival site and I was very tempted. As you say it would support my freesync monitor and with being Turing it is more up to date than Pascal and throw in ray tracing and DLSS and it makes the deal look a bit sweeter. I know both of them are not mainstream yet but at least they work whereas many of my features in Vega 64 still don’t. I’ll let the dust settle for a while and then make a decision.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Feb 7, 2019, 03:23 PM   #52
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post

Also, the latest driver released on the 4th, 19.2.1 are trash. They cause my Vega 64 to stutter like a bitch in 7 days to die and I would have frame rate plunge for a few seconds down into the teen constanlty. The game runs smooth as butter with the 19.1.2 drivers, with some areas dropping at most down to the high 50's and low 60's due to the lack of optimization. If they are testing with those drivers, then I suspect it is the drivers.

What are you responding to me? Has nothing to do with me, nor the points I made. All reviews I see, show it running cooler than the reference 2080/2080ti, and cooler than the vega 64. I never said it wasn't loud. I just stated we can't necessarily say it is because the fans are spinning faster as bill implied. I will say that being loud in game menus can be caused by the game, as some of them for some stupid reason have the card under full load even in the menus, so in this case, of course it will be loud, specially if it is noted being loud during gaming. I have a few games that do this.

I do owe you an apology: It appears you where correct all along about short supply, now that we actually have evidence of it rather than she said, he said crap. Even Amazon doesn't have it listed anywhere yet, which is a huge bad sign. Newegg shows all of them out of stock. Not Good.

On another note, wtf is going on with the forums. I have typed out responses, or went back and edited/added to them, words as well as complete sentences disappear that I never touched, edited, or removed. This has been going on for a few weeks, just on this forum only. I have no issues on other forums.. For example, the sentence above about the supply shortage, disappeared when I added to my comment above it and posted it, even though I never went near that part of the response. I had to edit it again and put it back in. At first I thought i was only when I was responding using using my phone, but it is also now happening on the PC as well. Very ODD!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 7, 2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 03:47 PM   #53
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Mickey Padge is still being judged by the masses

Seeing as the card only runs as "cool" as the hottest part of the card sensor readings, these definitely aren't running cooler than nvidia. Unless they update something, the fans are required to run at crazy max speeds to even retain core speeds....

How anyone can seriously say they run cooler is beyond me, the cards have three leaf blowers on them....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 03:56 PM   #54
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Padge View Post
Seeing as the card only runs as "cool" as the hottest part of the card sensor readings, these definitely aren't running cooler than nvidia. Unless they update something, the fans are required to run at crazy max speeds to even retain core speeds....

How anyone can seriously say they run cooler is beyond me, the cards have three leaf blowers on them....
I don't understand your logic here, how else do you get heat sensor readings? Or are you trying to imply that AMD doesn't report the highest temperature? Not sure where you are coming up with that. If you are referring to the Hot spot reading that AMD has, that is a temperature reading sensor that is still debated where it is getting the readings from (some think VRM, but it is still not clear what part of the card that reading is coming from) , and there is not equivalent that I am aware of on the Nvidia card, as Nvidia's temperatures are the Die temperatures only, which is the same temperatures AMD reports as well.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 7, 2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 04:06 PM   #55
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Functional drivers might fix some things but so far this pretty much confirms my impression of Vega: hot trash for games but pretty decent for compute. I’m not sure why I expected anything different even with a die shrink. Radeon VII just seems like it was totally rushed out the door and I’m really struggling to understand why. Was another month or 2 too long to wait? If this really is just a way to avoid scrapping GPUs and volumes will be very low maybe it’s not worth AMD’s time to really fix the drivers for Radeon VII?
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2019, 04:08 PM   #56
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
I don't understand your logic here. How does Nvidia get their card temperatures if it isn't from a sensor? If the Vega II's sensor is like the Vega 64, the sensor is built into the core/chip. Don't think you can get much more accurate than that.
The Vega II Sensor doesn't give you the actual core temp, that's why Jay and Steve saw upwards of 114c. Its gives Edge Temp which is the furthest edge from the Core. Steve explains it in the video.

The card does indeed run a lot hotter then the Vega64 and anything from Nvidia. That's why alot see this as a weird release, watch Linus' explanation in the LinusTechTips video.

Pretty much, AMD pushed the card as far as they could with the cooling available. If they were to throw a closed loop addition in you'd be looking at another $100 - $150 on top of the 699.99 price. That's the theory why Overclocking is gimped on the cards right now.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 04:13 PM   #57
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
The Vega II Sensor doesn't give you the actual core temp, that's why Jay and Steve saw upwards of 114c. Its gives Edge Temp which is the furthest edge from the Core. Steve explains it in the video.

The card does indeed run a lot hotter then the Vega64 and anything from Nvidia. That's why alot see this as a weird release, watch Linus' explanation in the LinusTechTips video.

Pretty much, AMD pushed the card as far as they could with the cooling available. If they were to throw a closed loop addition in you'd be looking at another $100 - $150 on top of the 699.99 price. That's the theory why Overclocking is gimped on the cards right now.
What video.. Guess it would help if the video was referenced.

edit: I found Jays video, will watch it in a bit, I did fast forward thru it real fast (don't have much time right now) and did see the temperature problem however, he went on to talk about the problems, black screen etc.. those are ALL driver related with the 19.2.1 drivers.. same issues on my Vega 64, in fact, it would black screen during install until turned off and on my monitor. So all those issues could be driver related and not the card. I will try and find steve's video later.. when I have time to properly watch it.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 7, 2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 04:30 PM   #58
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

it does rival a nvidia card ………

………. the FX 5800

the Radeon 7 Turboprop

Last edited by bill dennison : Feb 7, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 04:44 PM   #59
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Mickey Padge is still being judged by the masses

OMG, I was half expecting his test bed rig to lift off!

Hot garbage, never has a saying been more accurate

These chips must have been a weak batch of some professional card in the pipeline, with investment at a point where they just cut thir losses and released some bastardised gaming card instead.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 05:02 PM   #60
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
What are you responding to me? Has nothing to do with me, nor the points I made. All reviews I see, show it running cooler than the reference 2080/2080ti, and cooler than the vega 64. I never said it wasn't loud. I just stated we can't necessarily say it is because the fans are spinning faster as bill implied. I will say that being loud in game menus can be caused by the game, as some of them for some stupid reason have the card under full load even in the menus, so in this case, of course it will be loud, specially if it is noted being loud during gaming. I have a few games that do this.

I do owe you an apology: It appears you where correct all along about short supply, now that we actually have evidence of it rather than she said, he said crap. Even Amazon doesn't have it listed anywhere yet, which is a huge bad sign. Newegg shows all of them out of stock. Not Good.

On another note, wtf is going on with the forums. I have typed out responses, or went back and edited/added to them, words as well as complete sentences disappear that I never touched, edited, or removed. This has been going on for a few weeks, just on this forum only. I have no issues on other forums.. For example, the sentence above about the supply shortage, disappeared when I added to my comment above it and posted it, even though I never went near that part of the response. I had to edit it again and put it back in. At first I thought i was only when I was responding using using my phone, but it is also now happening on the PC as well. Very ODD!
I'm responding to you because I was very negative about this card and you called me out for having a 3 month AMD rant. I thought I'd give AMD another chance to earn my money and decided on impulse to buy the card. Simples.

With regards to shortages OCUK are saying it's due to Chinese new year and they have been in touch with AMD and they are expecting 200-300 cards by end of February and up to 1,000/2000 in March and they have agreed to sell the Sapphire reference version for MSRP of £649. So looks like availability will improve. You do know that all the stories you now accept about availability that are all over the web stemmed from my source that you trashed? Well never mind that's life I guess.

I'm disappointed because I wanted to play with my new card this weekend but unfortunately after reading the reviews I wasn't prepared to pay £650 for Vega VII in it's current state. TBH I have no issues with my Vega 64 (apart from drivers!) so I didn't really need this card but I was willing to give AMD a chance. Unfortunately they blew it big time I'm afraid but if they can sort out the issues and the card is available in a few months I may reconsider unless I decide to buy a 2080 in the meantime