Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Verizon's Share Everything Family Plans

I don't see how this is a good deal for a family.

Unlimited minutes is not even relevant these days is it? How is that still a feature?

Me, my lady have iPhones and my son as a basic phone and we pay $155 + another $20 for government BS. The service has unlimited data on my phone, 2GB data on my lady's phone (long story how we got screwed out of her unlimited plan), family text messaging and 550 family minutes + plus a dumb $10 per phone fee for simply having them on my account which I never understood why I get charge for that.

Under the Share Everything Plan with Verizon, I would pay $180 to include 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone and a shared 4GB plan. Insane and a complete rip off.

I wish the US had plans like Europe.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I wish we had plans like the US.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

It's not a good deal, it is pretty crappy IMO.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Those plans are terrible.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Verizon has gotten worse and worse with time.
My family is considering bailing out to Sprint.. but the contracts are ****ing that up.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
My family is considering bailing out to Sprint.. but the contracts are ****ing that up.
Are you talking the service or the plans getting worse with time? The service has been fantastic, I can't complain about that at all, it's the plans that suck.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The plans.

Yeah, the service is the best you can get. Unfortunately it seems Verizon has caught on and thinks they can just go crazy with pricing and get rid of some of the awesome perks to being a Verizon customer.

When I upgrade my Droid X, I'm going to lose my unlimited data plan. WTF is that? Unless I buy another 3G phone but that makes no sense.
It's just stupid. They also got rid of the upgrade discounts. My bank account is going to be hurting when I replace the Droid.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I was thinking of doing the opposite. But that's mostly because Sprint's data is so miserably slow, and secondly because they don't have any phone options for Windows Phone (other than the HTC Arrive which I already have). And I'm not switching to iOS or Andriod; it's simply not feasible.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
I was thinking of doing the opposite. But that's mostly because Sprint's data is so miserably slow, and secondly because they don't have any phone options for Windows Phone (other than the HTC Arrive which I already have). And I'm not switching to iOS or Andriod; it's simply not feasible.
I think desirable is the word you're looking for, switching phone OS's is always feasible.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:44 PM   #10
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I am pretty happy with t-mobile. $150 for three smartphone with 5GB data each and unlimited texts and minutes.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:04 PM   #11
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Hmm
I currently have this

$110 2000 talk and text plan
$9 Smart Phone base line charge
$9 Smart Phone base line charge
$9 Dumb phone base line charge
$30 unlimited 4G data plan
$30 unlimited 4G data plan
$30 unlimited 4G tether plan

$245 plus there are tons of nickle dime charges on each line

new plan

$40 Smart Phone
$40 Smart Phone
$30 Dumb Phone
$30 Dumb Phone
$30 Dumb Phone
$100 10GB of data

$270 plus there would be tons of nickle dime charges on each line

Average data use over 6 months is 6GB per month. I have used up to 12GB in one day in the past. I often use the teathering and well... when you do a steam game update...
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:18 PM   #12
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

What I don't understand is the $30 charge for a dumb phone. My son has a basic phone with a pullout keyboard for his texting habit and uses no data. How would this apply when all he needs is voice and text?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Guesticle

Guesticle is still being judged by the masses

Wow, this plan absolutely sucks. Saves me no money (costs more, in fact) for a reduced level of data service (vs. the family plan I'm on). Good thing I pre-ordered the SIII to go with my grandfathered unlimited data plan... that will still be honored, right? If not, as soon as the contract lapses in a few months, good bye Verizon.
Guesticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:14 PM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesticle View Post
Wow, this plan absolutely sucks. Saves me no money (costs more, in fact) for a reduced level of data service (vs. the family plan I'm on). Good thing I pre-ordered the SIII to go with my grandfathered unlimited data plan... that will still be honored, right? If not, as soon as the contract lapses in a few months, good bye Verizon.
If they try to force it on us we have a 60 day period to get out of the contract without having any early termination fees.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:17 PM   #15
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The data limits seem too low for a whole family... it wouldn't be a problem for my family, but I'm pretty sure it works out to be much more than we're paying for the basic service.

The $10 tablet thing seems alright... not sure why double the price for a netbook given that it's the same shared plan, and then the smartphone price is the same as a new data plan and a new phone line... which means you have to share the data in one pool with everything?

I guess unlimited messaging is nice, though my family isn't one to overuse minutes or messages...
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:25 PM   #16
Guesticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
If they try to force it on us we have a 60 day period to get out of the contract without having any early termination fees.
Would that mean we get to keep the phone (though it would be useless for use on other networks)? Who takes the hit in a situation like that? Verizon or the manufacturer (through some odd contract clause, maybe)?

I really hope that they honor the grandfathering, that's about the only thing that would keep me around.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:39 PM   #17
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Would that mean we get to keep the phone (though it would be useless for use on other networks)? Who takes the hit in a situation like that? Verizon or the manufacturer (through some odd contract clause, maybe)?

I really hope that they honor the grandfathering, that's about the only thing that would keep me around.
Keep it and it works here: http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans.aspx
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:08 PM   #18
Guesticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Thanks. That's good info have.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:25 PM   #19
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Thanks. That's good info have.
Yes but it's only 1x data speeds.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:51 AM   #20
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Verizon is getting worse and worse with their prices. It's only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:44 AM   #21
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

I ditched Verizon a few months ago for Virgin mobile: $38 a month is hell of lot better than $90
Java Cool Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:47 AM   #22
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A lot of people say that Apple is the most arrogant consumer brand, but that prize actually goes to these guys!

At least Apple products bring something new, interesting, and full of quality to the table with their high cost, even if they want everything their way and don't care who can't afford it.

V Wireless just keeps cutting down service level, jacking up prices, and goes about their business like they don't give a **** about anything but $$$.

Problem is that in a lot of rural areas, the only service that works well is Verizon. There are whole counties in Upstate NY where AT&T and Sprint are useless, so vw has them by the balls.

Last edited by Hidavi : Jun 13, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:09 PM   #23
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

This would long run save me money but not a whole lot. I've got a 150 meg plan cause I didn't think I'd use my data and she's got an unlimited plan but doesn't use her data. So 40 + 40 + 60 = 140 plus whatever government crap there is would be comparable to what I'm paying now plus I get unlimited text vs my 250 plan and her 1000 plan.

In the end I may end up switching carriers come next January but for the moment this is worth my time.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:46 PM   #24
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
I ditched Verizon a few months ago for Virgin mobile: $38 a month is hell of lot better than $90
Great idea if Sprint's network works well in your area. My roomate's coverage is terrible at my house.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:00 PM   #25
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
Great idea if Sprint's network works well in your area. My roomate's coverage is terrible at my house.
Someone was telling me about Virgin Mobile the other day. $55 and he has unlimited EVERYTHING for 3 Android phones and pays what I do for 2 iPhones and 1 dumb phone that doesn't even use data. He wanted to drop to their 300 minute plan since it would $20 PER PHONE less and yet he keeps unlimted text and data. A plus is their prices include the ridiculous government taxes that AT&T/Verizon/Sprint tack on. Raz must do some research on this - I can basically cut my phone bill by 45%.

Last edited by Razeus : Jun 14, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:59 PM   #26
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Virgin piggys off Sprint, phone selection is mediocre at best. That said value is quite good and the service is good if Sprint in your area doesn't suck.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:53 AM   #27
ATi VGA Wonder

Sprint doesn't even have service in one of the areas I frequent. Verizon barely has service there but it does work.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:12 AM   #28
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
Virgin piggys off Sprint, phone selection is mediocre at best. That said value is quite good and the service is good if Sprint in your area doesn't suck.
I see the catch is that Virgin doesn't do contracts so you pay for the phone outright. They've got the iPhone coming this summer so...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:31 PM   #29
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

Depends on what phone you want, my mom for example has a little Kyosera phone that's served her well I think she paid $30 for it or something. Combine that with the fact she only pays for minutes every few months it works really well for her.

For those of us who actually use our phones things are gonna get interesting with an iDevice and whatever Android stuff they have. You might want to check out Boost as well, iirc they're also using Sprint but have a better selection or atleast used to. Also pretty good deals on everything plans.

I just checked Virgin, maybe I'll hold off on getting a new phone till my contract with Verizon expires. While I don't really want an iPhone I can't bitch when for $35 a month I could get unlimited data. No I don't really talk a whole lot.

bounty hunter
Quote:

Last edited by ASCI Blue : Jun 15, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:21 AM   #30
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

The only reason I stick with Verizon is the coverage. Sure I use the data more than the voice these days, but I still want to know that if I need to make a phone call, I can get a signal. Other providers can't see to offer that as well; on numerous occasions I've been able to get a signal where AT&T and Sprint users could not.

In terms of the new VZ plans, they definitely suck. I think I'm gonna stick with my Droid 2 Global and my wife's iPhone4 as long as possible. They work great for us, and with Asurion coverage I suppose I'll eventually get replacement phones anyway of equal or better specification. If/when my Droid2 breaks, maybe I'll get a free upgrade to a Droid 3, 4, or who knows. If they force a plan change over 4G though, that would piss me off and may just force me to leave them. I suppose there is always the used phone route as well.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote