Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 20, 2003, 09:56 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TopoGeigeo
Da Mouse, Huzaa!

TopoGeigeo is still being judged by the masses

Default What a shame...

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...threadid=16400

Quote:
'Grand Theft Auto' makers sued over teenage killing
By Maxine Frith Social Affairs Correspondent

18 September 2003

The makers of the bestselling video game Grand Theft Auto are being sued for more than £60m after two teenagers said they were copying its violent scenes when they killed a man.

The court case could help to decide the debate over whether violent video and computer games cause aggression in children. Grand Theft Auto and its three sequels are designed in Britain and have topped the UK and US games charts, selling more than 20 million copies in the past five years. The player acts the role of a street thug with 40 different weapons.

Points, ammunition and more weapons are awarded for completing missions that include stealing cars, crashing them, shooting pedestrians and other motorists, drug dealing and beating up prostitutes. The fourth in the series, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, quickly became the bestselling video game in history when it was launched last year, with 250,000 copies sold in the first two days.

The $100m legal action involves Joshua Buckner, 14, and his stepbrother William, 16, from Newport, Tennessee, who shot dead Aaron Hamel, 45, and seriously injured Kimberly Bede, 19, on 25 June.

The two boys told police they shot at vehicles on a highway near their home with a .22 rifle in an attempt to recreate images from Grand Theft Auto. Mr Hamel, a nurse, was killed while driving home to Knoxville, Tennessee. Miss Bede, who was travelling in another car with her boyfriend, was seriously injured and has eight fragments of shrapnel in her pelvis.

The Buckner brothers had no criminal record or any history of trouble-making. In court last month, they pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment. They were sentenced to indefinite detention. District Attorney General Al Schmutzer told the court: "They said they got the idea from a video game called Grand Theft Auto and that they were bored, that they went out and began shooting."

In a letter to victims and their families, Joshua said: "I did not mean to hurt anyone. I hate that it happened. This will stick with me for the rest of my life."

Miss Bede and the family of Aaron Hamel plan to sue Take-Two Interactive Software, which publishes Grand Theft Auto, for liability in a wrongful death lawsuit. Take-Two owns Rockstar Games, which is based in Edinburgh and designed the first version of the game in 1997. Sony will also be named in the lawsuit, because Grand Theft Auto was made exclusively for its Play- Station consoles. Sony declined to comment on the case.

Jack Thompson, the lawyer representing the families, said the court case could be the first to rule on whether watching and playing violent video games caused excess aggression in children. He said: "We are going to show that this game did influence these boys and cause them to go out and shoot at these people.

"There has been a wealth of research to show that children's brains process these video games in a different way from adults'. They cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality, so they play these games and then think if they do the same thing in reality, it's OK, there will be no consequences."

Referring to The Manchurian Candidate, a 1962 film in which American soldiers are brainwashed into becoming fighting machines in the Korean war, Mr Thompson said: "We have got a nation of Manchurian Candidates who are training on these video games." Mr Thompson plans to call American defence ministry officials to give evidence on how they have employed video-game designers to help to train soldiers.

One company, Pandemic Games, is selling a game to the public that was designed to train infantry troops in urban combat. Players use "real weaponry and equipment currently in use by the US Army".

Mr Thompson claims that this shows video games "desensitise" people, particularly children, to violence. He will also point to the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado in 1999, when Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold shot 13 people dead. Both boys were fans of the video game Doom, which has been used to train US soldiers in lethal combat.

Claims of a link between video games and real violence have always been highly controversial, with manufacturers pointing out that millions of people enjoy playing the games but do not show any aggression. There are also arguments over whether aggression is innate, or learnt, and whether people who are naturally more aggressive are more likely to play violent video games.

But recent research has tended to back the argument that games can increase the risk of some young men committing acts of aggression.

A study by Iowa State University showed last year that even brief exposure to violent video games could temporarily increase aggressive behaviour in all types of people. Another study found that people who had played violent video games were more likely to have aggressive attitudes.

Craig Anderson, who led the studies, said: "The active nature of the learning environment of the video game suggests this medium is potentially more dangerous than television and movie media. With the recent trend toward greater realism and more graphic violence in video games, consumers and parents of consumers should be aware of these potential risks."

Grand Theft Auto has an 18 certificate in Britain but is popular with much younger teenagers, especially boys.

Source: http://news.independent.co.uk/world...sp?story=444500
What a shame.
TopoGeigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:00 AM   #2
Maelstrom
Emperor of the Galaxy

Maelstrom is still being judged by the masses

That is ******** you should not be able to sue for things like that
40GB Ultra DMA HD
16x DVD-Rom
40x12x40 CD Writer
Radeon 9800 Pro
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:03 AM   #3
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

We have a new contender for 'Stupid lawsuit of the week' it seems...
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:03 AM   #4
TopoGeigeo
Da Mouse, Huzaa!

TopoGeigeo is still being judged by the masses

Eigther way, its a shame to see children taking things like this. I think they should restrict games liek this to older people if things like tihs happen. Maybe the stores shoud actually hold to the ESRB raitings.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:14 AM   #5
typoEDR
Radeon Caribbean Islands

typoEDR is still being judged by the masses

Current society's view of dealing with problems:

Blame everybody else but yourself.

If you can't handle the content of a videogame, then buy another, tamer videogame, or even better, don't buy or rent a console at all.

The world is being constipated with stupid people, and logic is one to deliver the enema to save everyone...

I should stop watching Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:53 AM   #6
Trekster
:)

Trekster is still being judged by the masses

Imagine if they got 100m pounds, and only a few years in jail each?

Hey, that gives me an idea.....
(*goes off to find rifle, and then to find civil lawyer"*)
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?"
Trekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:06 PM   #7
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The parents should be sued. Not all kids that play GTA go out and shoot people. Only the kids with shoddy parents commit crimes.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:24 PM   #8
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Yes, let's blame videogames but not their government's message that if you have a problem with someone/something, the best way to deal with it is through violence
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:45 PM   #9
Animotion
O_o

Animotion is still being judged by the masses

The two retards that reacted this should be jailed or shot (an eye for an eye), there parent's should definatly be jailed there paren't up bringing can not have been right, yeah i play gta dosen't make me want to go out kill everyone thou. , yeah blame the videogames because your son is a psychopath, and cannot define the difference between reality and non reality

PS3 - Mok_ojin - 360 - Mokojin

" You guys are just jelous - but I guess I can let you 3 going wild in a menage à trois, and record it for the secret R3D pr0n server" - Pr()ZaC

"Good night child.. It's past your bed time" - Harmon smith Killer7

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
Animotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:06 PM   #10
imagine
Radeon Evergreen

imagine is still being judged by the masses

Saw this a few weeks ago, but they hadn't named any names or brought up the possibility of a lawsuit (although it was in my mind, of course). Seeing as I'm a huge GTA fan, and I have been since the original GTA in '97, this really affects me (not like it wouldn't other people, but these games are considered, by me, to the best games ever made). Anyway, I find it interesting that the families of the people that were killed and injured are *not* suing the parents of the children for mal-parenting, but the producers of a video gaming for constructing a game that's rated Mature, and that should be inaccessible to young teens.

If you'll notice, too, I'm only 16 - and I've been playing these games for the last 6 years of my life, nonstop, with a really abnormal love for them. Do you see me out shooting people? No, I don't even like to get into fights ...
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:18 PM   #11
alphaisawanker
Banned

alphaisawanker is still being judged by the masses

Hmmm..... one of them is 16 and one of them is 14 - the people should sue the parents for buying their kids the game if they are going to sue anything the game has an age limit of 18 in the UK and i believe it to be an R in the states - which would mean 17.

Plus.... how the hell could anybody be influenced by a video game to kill people???

ffs
alphaisawanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:19 PM   #12
alphaisawanker
Banned

alphaisawanker is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by imagine
Saw this a few weeks ago, but they hadn't named any names or brought up the possibility of a lawsuit (although it was in my mind, of course). Seeing as I'm a huge GTA fan, and I have been since the original GTA in '97, this really affects me (not like it wouldn't other people, but these games are considered, by me, to the best games ever made). Anyway, I find it interesting that the families of the people that were killed and injured are *not* suing the parents of the children for mal-parenting, but the producers of a video gaming for constructing a game that's rated Mature, and that should be inaccessible to young teens.

If you'll notice, too, I'm only 16 - and I've been playing these games for the last 6 years of my life, nonstop, with a really abnormal love for them. Do you see me out shooting people? No, I don't even like to get into fights ...

you practically said what i did - whoops
alphaisawanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:24 PM   #13
Jackl
Always watching.

Jackl is still being judged by the masses

"The [Insert source of blame here] made me do it."

Centuries ago it was the Devil, now its videogames.

Speaking of which, I might add these lawsuits resemble a witch hunt in more ways than one.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 02:07 PM   #14
pushtun
Radeon Arctic Islands

pushtun is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by TopoGeigeo
Eigther way, its a shame to see children taking things like this. I think they should restrict games liek this to older people if things like tihs happen. Maybe the stores shoud actually hold to the ESRB raitings.
the parents probably bought it for them...

"You're oversexed and underage!" - Elvis (Blue Hawaii)

"To succeed with the opposite sex, tell her you're impotent. She can't wait to disprove it." - Cary Grant

"A Jewish entertainer? Get out of here!" - Homer Simpson

If she's 16 and she's ugly, she's not jailbait...
pushtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 05:31 PM   #15
imagine
Radeon Evergreen

imagine is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by pushtun
the parents probably bought it for them...
...And the parents also probably purchased the shotgun that was used in this rampage, and left it laying around so that two young teens could gain access to it.

However, I don't think you'll be seeing them put into a position of account any time soon, though... because that would make sense.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 05:40 PM   #16
the_Vandal
Banned

the_Vandal is still being judged by the masses

Yes, everyone knows that the GTA series invented murder so let's sue them!
the_Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:14 PM   #17
T07N
Long-time Member

T07N is still being judged by the masses

Wow how stupid. You kill someone and you blame a game for it. The parents should be blamed for having such stupid children.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:24 PM   #18
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by DorXtar
The parents should be sued. Not all kids that play GTA go out and shoot people. Only the kids with shoddy parents commit crimes.
But you see, the parents don't have the money that GTA makers do....

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:36 PM   #19
Turd Ferguson
Radeon Southern Islands

Turd Ferguson is still being judged by the masses

Of course they're going to blame video games. If they can "prove" that it was the game's fault and not theirs, they can't be sent to jail. Makes sense, it's probably what I'd do if I just shot several people...

Although I think this was the best part:

Quote:
Mr Thompson claims that this shows video games "desensitise" people, particularly children, to violence. He will also point to the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado in 1999, when Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold shot 13 people dead. Both boys were fans of the video game Doom, which has been used to train US soldiers in lethal combat.
HAHAHA!

3DMark '06 1,439 '05 3,253 '03 8,072 '01 14,746 | No, you have not played me in [insert game]. Trust me.

Originally posted by Ak*0dz/Mike G/Starla: this is when the real fun started... steve jerked off quietly while all of us were playing CS,
and none of us knew he did that until he passed around a bottle with his manjuice... fun level of saturday night: a big 20/10. it was great.

BEFORE ANYONE DID ANYTHING,
JASEF DID EVERYONE
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:41 PM   #20
PUDAK
Sir Noobington

PUDAK is still being judged by the masses

Yep, killing Cyberdemons with a BFG 9000 trains you for military combat....
Arthur C. Clarke
Iam idiot ok bout you are noob that dont boliv people who bather you and smarter then and its not me its 3d realesm who brouth MAXPAYNE to life rember that!!!
Said53

<Jasef> !googlepic pudak upskirt
PUDAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:47 PM   #21
T07N
Long-time Member

T07N is still being judged by the masses

What a retard...
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:25 AM   #22
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

These Boy on killing a man: I was following the game

Nazi officers on killing the Jews: I was following orders.

This is such a screwed up world.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:44 AM   #23
MarsGrunt
Rage3D Veteran

MarsGrunt is still being judged by the masses

Just goes to show that there are too many lawyers with nothing else to do in this country.
MarsGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:51 AM   #24
the_Vandal
Banned

the_Vandal is still being judged by the masses

If more stupid people killed off more stupid people then this world would be a better place. I say onward with the murder!
the_Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 02:28 AM   #25
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

well, with all our exposure to violent videogames, it's a wonder why lans aren't more violent
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 08:53 AM   #26
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's yet another case of:

Parents: "Oh, sh!t. This time he's really gone and done it now."
Lawyer: "Well, let's look around and see what we can blame it on...I mean lets find the likely cause (doesn't look at parents at all because they are paying him). Oh, look! Here's a violent item made by a company with deep pockets!" {eyes drift inwards, thinks "Mmmmmmm...legal fees...years of legal fees... "}
Parents: "Yes, that game must have messed them up! They were only causing trouble for five years before they got it, but that must have been the cause!" {eyes drift inwards, thinks "Good! Now they won't blame us..."}
Kid: "So...um...yeah! I was just acting out the game...that's it..." {eyes drift inwards, thinks "... ... ..."}

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:56 AM   #27
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

14 year old & 16 year old --> sue the STORE! the store is responsible, if it went how it should have the store should've refused to sell to them. Unless the parents bought it for them but than you just sue the parents, and if they acquired it through another person, sue him/her.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 05:41 PM   #28
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

the parents of those kids need to be held 100% responsible for their kid's actions. The kids need to get 2 years in jail, be released and be rehibilitated.. the parents need 30yrs to LIFE in prison!

IM SICK OF THIS.. Parents can throw their kids in front of a TV with a video game console or a PC to keep them proccupied, or they can put them in school and expect the schools to raise them then they'll sue schools, game makers, blame PCs, etc etc etc because their kids weren't raised right.

YOU'RE BAD PARENTS.. you dont deserve to have children.. you belong in prison for having a child that killed .. its 100% your fault and NOONE elses..

I bet if their was a law making parents 100% responsible for their kid's actions, they would do a hell of alot better taking care of their kids then they do now.

omg, i wasnt rich when I was a kid.. i didn't go to college and i'm not working somewhere making 200k a year as a doctor or lawyer.. but i feel like I got really really lucky with my parents, i ended up OK.. It's sad too, i feel lucky because im not out killing people, because I'm not in prison for stealing shiet, because I'm not downright evil..

The world is a sad sad place right now..

www.eve-online.com
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote