Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 26, 2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Default Samsung S9

Exciting or no? Looks like a yawn-worthy incremental upgrade to me, but maybe I’m missing something. Thoughts?
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Rummy
Radeon R700

Rummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Exciting or no? Looks like a yawn-worthy incremental upgrade to me, but maybe I’m missing something. Thoughts?
Don't you have an iPhone?
I signed up for pre order, but I have an S8 we'll see.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
Don't you have an iPhone?
I signed up for pre order, but I have an S8 we'll see.
I do, but I'm always interested in what's being released on both sides of the OS aisle.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 26, 2018, 06:41 PM   #4
Rummy
Radeon R700

Rummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice, I am not sure if I will upgrade I can get up to half off so we will see. i do like my s8 but I do like newer tech as well even if it doesn't mean too much change.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 02:29 AM   #5
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

too pricey for what you get, but well, some people always buy everything if it's "new". It's not a bad phone per se, of course, but almost 900 bucks is a bit beyond (for me).

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2018, 01:32 PM   #6
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
too pricey for what you get, but well, some people always buy everything if it's "new". It's not a bad phone per se, of course, but almost 900 bucks is a bit beyond (for me).
I don't know if they have this in your area, but many mobile phone service companies here in the US offer "leasing" of phones. It's for those that want to trade up their phones as new revisions are released.

With that, I'm sure two S9's will be in my house shortly as my wife and daughter do that... I'm too lazy to change phones out so often so I wait until I either break or cannot use my current phone before changing.... Even then, I rarely get the top of the line phones any more.. I don't use all the capabilities to make it worth it for me.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 01:52 AM   #7
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Variable aperture is the only interesting thing to me. I'd like to see how that performs in reviews later on. That will be a nice thing for apple to steal for the next iPhone.

The 900fps 720p video with a second of footage is interesting too if not gimmicky.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 03:42 PM   #8
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I've posted more than enough on here about Samsung devices I've owned, don't feel like rehashing with a point by point for such crap phones.

I think this says it all... I used to be hardcore anti-Apple. The Note 5 was bad enough I replaced it with an iPhone 6s+.
The biggest complaint I hear about their phone was the software. Samsung made a lot of good software improvements on their galaxy s8 line. The phone no longer slows down over time. People find this very hard believe when I say that. I have no idea what people are about when they say Samsung's phone lags and crashes.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Last edited by 0091/2 : Feb 28, 2018 at 07:32 PM.
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Rummy
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
The biggest complaint I hear about their phone was the software. Samsung made a lot of good software improvements on their galaxy s8 line. The phone no longer slows down over time. People finds this very hard believe when I say that. I have no idea what people are about when they Samsung's phone lags and crashes.
Yeah pretty lame. I have had a Galaxy since the S5 and never had problems.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 07:34 PM   #10
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
Yeah pretty lame. I have had a Galaxy since the S5 and never had problems.
It could be because of the software installed on their phone.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 06:34 PM   #11
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
The biggest complaint I hear about their phone was the software. Samsung made a lot of good software improvements on their galaxy s8 line. The phone no longer slows down over time. People finds this very hard believe when I say that. I have no idea what people are about when they Samsung's phone lags and crashes.
My S3 and S5 definitely took some performance hits as the time went on, but... this S8+ has been going strong for a while now and just the other day I realized that I've only restarted the phone a total of 2 or 3 times in about 6 months of ownership and have seldom had slow downs that weren't just a result of some shitty networks in the center of swamp land.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
My S3 and S5 definitely took some performance hits as the time went on, but... this S8+ has been going strong for a while now and just the other day I realized that I've only restarted the phone a total of 2 or 3 times in about 6 months of ownership and have seldom had slow downs that weren't just a result of some shitty networks in the center of swamp land.
What typically happens is that if you are not rooted, the bloatware from the mobile provider keeps increasing over time. I had this problem with Sprint. I track the application size and battery usage and their apps that they loaded (and refused to allow you to uninstall without rooting) kept sucking up more and more of my phone's resources.

I will say this was a few years ago and haven't noticed it as much these days.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2018, 07:28 AM   #13
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

I had a Note 3 that bogged down like crazy after about a year. The lag between loading and switching apps was unbearable. Hence why we're now an iPhone house. Still, I miss the stylus, so the Note 8 is calling my name.