Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 7, 2002, 02:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Default Lots-o-people fell for the GF3->GF3Ti "new" feauture trick

I'm having a discussion with some people that if nVidia only upgrades the GPU after 6 months, and that that only is a upgrade in clockspeed no more, no less. But then they say, hey nooooooooooo the GF3 Ti has extra features. They just won't believe it's a plain old GF3 running at higher clockrate, But that broken GF3 features in the drivers now work, and that they also work on the gf3 after the new drivers...
Old Feb 7, 2002, 02:31 PM   #2
Ostsol
Cheesesun

Ostsol is still being judged by the masses

Out of curiosity, what would those formerly broken features be?
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
SoundBlaster Audigy XGamer

-Ostsol
Ostsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 02:36 PM   #3
CainSyris
Radeon R520

CainSyris is still being judged by the masses

Then your friends are idiots.

TNT is launched. It doesn't do as well as nVidia would like because it has a lower clock than they anticipated. So six months later, they upgrade it to a higher clock for core and memory to make the TNT2! There is two versions; one for mainstream at around 120-150 dollars and a ultra version for high end gaming, at around 200 bucks. So there is an original and then a mainstream and high end refresh.

Geforce is launched. Its new, its got new features. Then they do a "minor" memory upgrade from SDRAM to DDRAM within a few months. There is a shortage of GF DDR and the GF2 launches. Its everywhere and the shortage is because of the manufacturing of these cards. About six months later, they launch the MX line, boasting the performance of the SDRAM GF or better. They launch the GF2 Ultra for the high end to put down any hope that ATI had of being anywhere near the performance crown. The featureset of the GF line takes supremecy and the added features of the original Radeon go unused for the most part (excluding Serious Sam much later and 3dmark).

The GF3 is launched. Six months later there is a refresh. Big surprise! Wow. Who would have thunk it except anyone who follows the video card market for the last few years, eh? Refresh means faster clock, better memory, new drivers, and new something in drivers. Now six months later, we got what is thought by some to be a GF3 Ultra. I would contend that there are enough new features to at least call it a GF3.5, but hey. I don't care. The point is that now nVidia has done with the GF4 what they did so long ago with the GF2. They have provided an MX, an Ultra, and a Pro. To match the ATI R8500 LE, they have the 4200 on the horizon.

So tell your friends that this is a marketing strategy by nVidia. They launch a new product. Six months later, they launch a refresh and try to offer a mainstream card along with a high performance part. This time, ATI got close and did beat them in one key element: 3dmark 2001. So nVidia goes back to the drawing board and creates a monster of a card. So like the GF2 line, they had a Geforce, then a GF2, and then another refresh to make the GF2Ultra. The Ultra or the GF4 4600 in this case is a direct response to ATI's attempts to outclass them in benchmarks. Its expensive. Yada yada.

Its also a trend. YAY! Now you can go be informed to your friends.

Note: I don't begrudge nVidia this tactic, because it enables them to give the customer every six months the option of having more for their money than the people who spent their money in the last six months. This is preferable to... say the Sound card market where innovation happens about every three years.
IntelCore2Quad | Intel Bad Axe 2 975X | 4x2048meg54412PatriotDDR2 | Adata4gigReadyboost | eVGA7900GTX512 | WDRaptor150gigBoot/SystemDrive + WDRaptor150gigData/Game/ProgramDrive | Seagate750DATA | Plextor16xDVD+/-RWSlotDrive | 360HDDVDaddon | AuzentechXplosionDTS7.1 | LianLiG70 (100% Noctuafancooled) | PCPower&Cooling1kwPSU | RazerBarracudaHeadphones| WindowsVista64 | Denon4306(CoaxialToSoundCardviaDTS) | AscendAcoustics340SE'sFront&Centerw/170SE'sSurround | ToshibaHD-XA2HD-DVDplayer | Dualmonitor=Dell3007 30" LCD&PanasonicAE1000UProjector| EmbarqDSL |
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 7, 2002, 02:37 PM   #4
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

mulciber is still being judged by the masses

hes refering to 3d textures i think
but who cares if they work or not? noone uses them
[13:45:19] <Mulciber> PEACE TO ALAH! *explodes in crowd of children*
[13:45:47] <Hanners> lol
[13:45:52] <Robotzombie> clockwork knows all about exploding onto a crowd of children

mulciber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 02:41 PM   #5
CainSyris
Radeon R520

CainSyris is still being judged by the masses

I thought the broken features he meant for the GF3 line were 1) shadow buffers and 2) 3d textures, but I may be mistaken. As I recall, it was these features that did not work in the GF3 originally, but were included in the specs for the cards when the very first reviews and previews were talked about.

It was also a feature of the Radeon series and that's why it's remembered. ATI fanatics liked to harp EITHER about how nVidia broke the features on purpose to add them in later and call them new features OR they would argue that even nVidia has driver problems. This flipflopping between whether nV chose or was forced to disable these features for the time they were disabled would change depending on which argument was being made at the time. For some ATI fanatics live to either argue that nVidia lies all the time (ignoring ATI's bold steps in this direction in recent memory) OR that nVidia's driver team is as incompetent as ATI's (which ignores comment perception by reviewers, most *other* message boards than Rage3d, and the masses).
IntelCore2Quad | Intel Bad Axe 2 975X | 4x2048meg54412PatriotDDR2 | Adata4gigReadyboost | eVGA7900GTX512 | WDRaptor150gigBoot/SystemDrive + WDRaptor150gigData/Game/ProgramDrive | Seagate750DATA | Plextor16xDVD+/-RWSlotDrive | 360HDDVDaddon | AuzentechXplosionDTS7.1 | LianLiG70 (100% Noctuafancooled) | PCPower&Cooling1kwPSU | RazerBarracudaHeadphones| WindowsVista64 | Denon4306(CoaxialToSoundCardviaDTS) | AscendAcoustics340SE'sFront&Centerw/170SE'sSurround | ToshibaHD-XA2HD-DVDplayer | Dualmonitor=Dell3007 30" LCD&PanasonicAE1000UProjector| EmbarqDSL |
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 02:47 PM   #6
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

I believe the worked for the card initially but were disabled (along with HOS) in order to streamline the drivers and fix "errata" until support actually picked up for them. Which I think is actually a good idea. Why waste resources and headaches on features noone will use? nVidia put them there in the first place to ensure support for them incase developers should ever decide to use those features. If nVidia hadnt been pushing the market like it has for the past 3 years, game developers would still be stuck in the stone ages and 3dfx would just now be brining us the voodoo with 32-bit color
[13:45:52] <Robotzombie> clockwork knows all about exploding onto a crowd of children

Old Feb 7, 2002, 02:47 PM   #7
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

grrr, somethins wrong with the forum

blech, double post

Old Feb 7, 2002, 03:06 PM   #8
Bambers
Radeon R520

Bambers is still being judged by the masses

There was a third feature as well that was enabled in the DetXPs. Can't remeber what it is though.

On the point of nvidias drivers, I don't think they are as amazing as most would say and this is from personal experience. They are better than atis but not by much and they're certainly far from perfect.
Bambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 03:14 PM   #9
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Bambers
There was a third feature as well that was enabled in the DetXPs. Can't remeber what it is though.

On the point of nvidias drivers, I don't think they are as amazing as most would say and this is from personal experience. They are better than atis but not by much and they're certainly far from perfect.
yes, we already named them
they were Shadow Buffers, HOS, and Volumetric textures

IIRC

Old Feb 7, 2002, 03:20 PM   #10
Bambers
Radeon R520

Bambers is still being judged by the masses

hmm your 2 posts werent there when I wrote that and it keeps saying its going to send an email to tech support whenever i post anything. Somethings wrong with these forums
Bambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 03:27 PM   #11
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

Ryoko is still being judged by the masses

yeah, tell your friends that the original gf3 clocked at 240/500 is exactly the same as a gf3ti500.the only new features were enabled in drivers, not hardware.
Ryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 03:31 PM   #12
Nazgul
Radeon Evergreen

Nazgul is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by mulciber
I believe the worked for the card initially but were disabled (along with HOS) in order to streamline the drivers and fix "errata" until support actually picked up for them. Which I think is actually a good idea. Why waste resources and headaches on features noone will use?
I'm sorry, I guess I missed the slew of games that came out in the last 6 months with support for 3D textures

Nazgul
"The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter. 'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade."
Nazgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 03:31 PM   #13
MuffinMan
Radeon R700

MuffinMan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Bambers
Somethings wrong with these forums
Yup. The ATI driver team are doing "work-experience" at Rage3D for awhile
MuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2002, 03:33 PM   #14
Wotan81
Radeon Northern Islands

Wotan81 is still being judged by the masses

I planned to buy an TNT when nVidia first presented the specs of the card. The product that was availble on the market wasn´t close to that. Then the TNT2 came and now IT had the specs that the TNT was supposed to have! Thats why I never bought any TNT cards. I also had a Hercules PCI with a nVidia Riva 128 chip on it. This was the worst crap I have ever come in contact with, (well, the Rage Fury MAXX was as bad as the Hercules) and I have tested a couple of hundred computers since I buy computers for the company I work at.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 04:13 PM   #15
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgul

I'm sorry, I guess I missed the slew of games that came out in the last 6 months with support for 3D textures

Nazgul
i said to fix errata
it is now fixed, thus no longer a reason to leave it out of the drivers. regardless of developer support

reading posts usually helps before replying to them