Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:23 AM   #841
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
It's feels very much like bad company 2 which is something I don't like. Where are the jets? Vehicle combat? Tons and tons of tanks vs tank combat?
You didn't see the 8 minute tank battle video?

If they are including jets I'm sure we'll see large maps like we saw in the tank video. I don't think it'll be every one though. They'll probably have a mix of small infantry maps, medium sized maps like in BC2, and large ass maps hopefully on scale of at least El Alamein. At least.

I think Dice are holding back as to not give everything away just yet. We still got 4 1/2 more months.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:01 PM   #842
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippthrough View Post
I don't really like this incapacited vehicle idea, part of the fun with them was trusting your driver not to get it into a vulnerable spot.
And the other part of the fun was seeing a fully geared up humvee heading towards you just as you picked up a rocket launcher kit....
A few years into BF2, where the jet and bomber nuts had really honed their skills, it really came to a point that almost as soon as you entered a vehicle it blew up.
So thinking back to those scenarios, I can appreciate that design choice, atleast as a idea on paper in that context.
And certainly if this works with those happy black hawk enthusiasts that really want to, but are extremely unable, to pilot a black hawk and lands it upside down on the heli pad 5 seconds after taking off, I could live with not having those deaths.

Though as a avid AT player, I kinda hope there is a payoff in taking down a vehicle to compensate for all the kills I would get on taking down a full APC or Black Hawk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
I think Dice are holding back as to not give everything away just yet. We still got 4 1/2 more months.
No doubt, the fact that they only showed singleplayer for a long time seems to support that.
A weird weird decision that has kinda felt like a slap in the face to the BF fanbase at the time, but as long as they deliver on the MP, I´m happy to let it slide.
I guess the idea is saving the big guns for ramping up the hype.

Last edited by jolle : Jun 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
jolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:17 PM   #843
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

I think they're doing a good job marketing. I mean this game is a make it or break it game for EA, it's going up against Modern Warfare 3 and is trying to usurp the current champion in shooters.

MW is all about the single player if you think about it. While many people play the multiplayer, it has a "compelling enough" single player to get the rest of the crowd hooked.

With the new single player trailers, it really does build up hype. The multiplayer action can't really be shown off very well unless you actually player so I think they're doing an okay job.

What I'd like to see though is some air to air combat 'cause we've all seen the ground stuff playing Bad Company 2 for such a long period of time.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:23 PM   #844
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
From what ive read, essentially you will be able to equip the Assault class with a medic load out, in place of say a rocket / grenade launcher etc.
Apparently DICE has finally admitted that Battlefield 2142 did it better.

I'm still waiting for the announcement of an amazing new gameplay mode never before seen where you have to first capture conquest flags which then unlock a series of rush style objectives (the innovation )
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:45 PM   #845
Taturana
Rage3D Veteran

Taturana once held a door open for a complete strangerTaturana once held a door open for a complete strangerTaturana once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
MW is all about the single player if you think about it. While many people play the multiplayer, it has a "compelling enough" single player to get the rest of the crowd hooked.
Since they started releasing 4 hours long singleplayer campaigns it left being "compelling enough" to me.

But from a pure "Michael Bay" or Zack Snyder" view, they seem good indeed.
Taturana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 01:23 PM   #846
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I haven't read anything on this game, all I want to know is if they are bringing back the large maps and jets.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 01:31 PM   #847
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taturana View Post
Since they started releasing 4 hours long singleplayer campaigns it left being "compelling enough" to me.

But from a pure "Michael Bay" or Zack Snyder" view, they seem good indeed.
Agreed. Saying the SP is compelling enough at this point is just silly. It's a MP game, period. In fact, most of the people I know that play the game go straight into MP and have never played the campaign or only complete a fraction of it. On the other hand, I refuse to play MP in any game until I've completed the campaign first.

I stopped buying/playing Call of Duty games after playing #4 Modern Warfare. I enjoyed the campaign, but it was far too short and I didn't like where the games were headed.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:19 PM   #848
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

i never played the BC2 campaign but i did finish the black ops campaign on the wii, it was engaging enough for me to work through it until the end
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:29 PM   #849
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippthrough View Post
I don't really like this incapacited vehicle idea, part of the fun with them was trusting your driver not to get it into a vulnerable spot.
And the other part of the fun was seeing a fully geared up humvee heading towards you just as you picked up a rocket launcher kit....
Except a BF2 defect often caused head-on shots to pass through vehicles with no effect.

It sounds okay to me because instant kills are limited to certain aircraft in BF2 anyway (even a pair of AT usually have to hammer away at armor) and bailing out before blowing up is common. If the spot is vulnerable then the infantry are still not getting away.

In one sense the feature seems a counter to air power but at the same time can actually be advantageous to whomever causes the incapacitation in an isolated area of a large map since stranded infantry are more detrimental to their own team than quickly respawning ones. And likewise vehicles.

The idea was discussed long ago for FH and especially makes sense in the context of lower technology warfare. Actually, it brings to mind dialogue of the Russian tank crew in Afghanistan from The Beast of War (1988):

Quote:
Daskal: [the tank is incapacitated. Daskal hands out a grenade to Kaminski and Golikov] You know our standing orders.
Kaminski: What?
Daskal: Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:21 PM   #850
poohbear
Radeon Evergreen

poohbear is still being judged by the masses

i like how the developers said in an interview that they're optimizing this game for the PC first THEN scaling it down for consoles, not the other way around! check out the interview here:

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articl...eld3-interview

of note:

“So for our target of what we want to hit, we are now using the more powerful platform to try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator, instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We’re do it the other way around, we start with the highest-end technology that we can come up with and then scale it back to the consoles.”

if true i'll be a day one buyer!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:49 PM   #851
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstew View Post
I haven't read anything on this game, all I want to know is if they are bringing back the large maps and jets.
yes

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:26 AM   #852
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

W00T!!

F̲̅][̲̅u̲̅][̲̅c̲̅][̲̅k̲̅][̅­¬̲i̲̅][̲̅n̲̅][̲̅g̲̅] [̲̅A̲̅][̲̅w̲̅][̲̅s̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̅­¬̲m̲̅][̲̅e̲̅]!

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:25 AM   #853
JulianLyle
Radeon Northern Islands

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

I seriously can't wait
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:01 AM   #854
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

hopefully i can get to 20k stabs before this game comes out...have just over 18k now...
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:29 AM   #855
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
hopefully i can get to 20k poo stabs before this game comes out...have just over 18k now...
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:05 PM   #856
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Looks more like Bad Company 2.5 than a real BF3. I just hope they don't ruin it.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:18 PM   #857
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Looks more like Bad Company 2.5 than a real BF3. I just hope they don't ruin it.
I just hope it is the best mp available and i hope pc gamers whine anyway because it doesn't have x feature and because that is all they know how to do, and then i hope the devs say f you pc gamers and make the rest of their games console only.

Thats my prediction for this game.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:40 PM   #858
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

even if some people deserve it, why would you ever wish that...
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:43 PM   #859
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
why? that is a pre-alpha version, and we see a tiny glimpse of it.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:58 PM   #860
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Quote:
why? that is a pre-alpha version, and we see a tiny glimpse of it.
And you can guarantee that 99.9% of it won't change in the final version.

I mean, its not a bad thing for everyone, loads of people really liked Bad Company 2, me? I hated it, so thats why im not all that keen on what I saw. BF2 wasn't perfect, it had a lot wrong with it, but it got a lot of things right. It just seems like they are totally ignoring that it existed, and the only things that they have taken from it are merely the idea of jets and prone, oh and 64 players.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:08 PM   #861
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

I mean, its not a bad thing for everyone, loads of people really liked Bad Company 2, me? I hated it, so thats why im not all that keen on what I saw. BF2 wasn't perfect, it had a lot wrong with it, but it got a lot of things right. It just seems like they are totally ignoring that it existed, and the only things that they have taken from it are merely the idea of jets and prone, oh and 64 players.
The squad commender is back, the medic is more like it was in bf2, so it's not like they're ignoring bf2, they're simply just not pretending that bc2 didn't exist.

And regenerating health might be gone.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:27 PM   #862
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

Quote:
how do you know this? what were you expecting?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:47 PM   #863
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
the medic is more like it was in bf2
Completely and utterly incorrect.

In BF2 the Medic was its own class carrying assault rifles without grenade launchers.

In BF2142 there where no Medic class, it was merged with Assault and you had to choose between between being full Medic (advanced medkit, defib), a mix or full Assault (grenade launcher, extra grenades).

Sound familiar?
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:52 PM   #864
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler View Post
Completely and utterly incorrect.

In BF2 the Medic was its own class carrying assault rifles without grenade launchers.

In BF2142 there where no Medic class, it was merged with Assault and you had to choose between between being full Medic, a mix or full Assault.

Sound familiar?
If you chose the medic "attachment" as the assault class in bf3 you are carrying assault rifles without the grenade launcher.

Sound familiar?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 04:02 PM   #865
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
If you chose the medic "attachment" as the assault class in bf3 you are carrying assault rifles without the grenade launcher.

Sound familiar?
I was just about to say that. The guy clearly says it in the video..
Old Jun 11, 2011, 04:17 PM   #866
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

I want karkand and wake.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:14 PM   #867
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Welp, BF2 was certainly less than BF1942. BF3 seems merely equivalent to BF2. It's a pity the goal was not set higher -i.e. restore the expansiveness and variety of BF1942. Heck, a revisit of BF1942 would have been cool. That era of manual technology just seems ideal for gameplay since capabilities need not be dumbed down, thus resulting in a more authentic experience. Anything beyond visual/radio spotting is ruinous too.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:15 PM   #868
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Quote:
how do you know this? what were you expecting?
Because it never does.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:14 PM   #869
ECH1
deal with it

ECH1 is still being judged by the masses

It's going be funny if MW3 out sells BF3 even though they are charging for extra content.

Last edited by ECH1 : Jun 11, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
ECH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:27 PM   #870
Mangler
PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH1 View Post
It's going be funny if MW3 out sells BF3 even though they are charging for extra content.
Mw3 will outsell bf3, since the cod franchise is more popular than the bf franchise on the consoles.