Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:12 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Mid price router recommendations

So I've pulled the plug on Sky and gone to different broadband provider
which means i now need some mid price router, recommendations?
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels

Last edited by delirium121 : Jan 28, 2020 at 01:18 PM.
delirium121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2020, 01:51 PM   #2
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

netgear r7000. Cheap, good range and pretty reliable.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 02:27 PM   #3
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

TP-Link AC1900. On sale for $79 at Amazon now.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 19, 2020, 08:33 PM   #4
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Tried a netgear nighthawk AC1750 for a month, it sucked on both factory firmware and DD-WRT, for that month I had to reboot it quite often went with the tplink AX1500 and things have been much better.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:01 AM   #5
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

Netgear R7000 running tomato firmware has been going very well for me. No issues or downtime, only restarted for the occasional firmware update that I could probably have ignored anyway.
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:03 PM   #6
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thanks for the replies
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Tried a netgear nighthawk AC1750 for a month, it sucked on both factory firmware and DD-WRT, for that month I had to reboot it quite often went with the tplink AX1500 and things have been much better.
I've got the Nighthawk AC1700, and I'm having the same problem. It freezes up or drops the WiFi connection at least once per week, forcing me to do a hard reboot.

Keeping an eye on this thread as I'd like to upgrade my router as well.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 01:16 PM   #8
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Be aware some R7000 models don't play nice with open source firmware.

I really like the R7000 not cheap option, R7500v2 and the R7800.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Jan 20, 2020 at 01:22 PM.
gamefoo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I've got the Nighthawk AC1700, and I'm having the same problem. It freezes up or drops the WiFi connection at least once per week, forcing me to do a hard reboot.

Keeping an eye on this thread as I'd like to upgrade my router as well.
Thanks to the generous holiday return policy of Amazon that piece of junk went back, Left a bad taste for any of the nighthawks that all look the same at least on the outside. Decided I might as well go for Wifi 6 now, so went with the cheep TPLink. Seems OK to this point.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 07:03 PM   #10
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

TP-Link Archer 7 (AC1750).

Nice dual band, DD-WRT works very well on it also.

I had one at my house for 2 years, and found a used one for my mom.
Really nice since 5G does not overlap and basically has no footprint. Yet...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 09:22 PM   #11
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Check the clearance stuff at Walmart. The ones by me have a bunch of Nighthawk routers of a couple different models for about half off in the cages behind the electronics counter. I’ve has an AC2600 for years and haven’t had any problems with it. When I was on Centurylink, I had to reboot it every couple months but that was always after having to reboot the modem which I had to do almost weekly. Since I switched providers, I haven’t had to reboot once.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2020, 09:29 AM   #12
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

All consumer routers suck in terms of hardware quality and software support. That said, ASUS routers have been the least sucky in my experience with semi-regular firmware updates. Something like an RT-AC66U would be my recommendation.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2020, 09:52 AM   #13
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Just to confirm, you are looking for a "router with Wi-fi antenna" not just a "router"?

If it's the former, I just installed one of these for my parents:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/d-link...outer-dir-2680

It's was easy to setup, didn't require a direct PC connected to configure and has good Wi-fi range.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2020, 01:03 PM   #14
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Just to confirm, you are looking for a "router with Wi-fi antenna" not just a "router"?

If it's the former, I just installed one of these for my parents:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/d-link...outer-dir-2680

It's was easy to setup, didn't require a direct PC connected to configure and has good Wi-fi range.
Correct, but oddly the D-Link AC2600 doesn't appear to be available in the UK.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 08:39 PM   #15
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Got some spare hardware lying around?

Build your own.

Great open source options running on x86 hardware. Recommend turning a cheap "wifi router" into an AP, as setting up wifi can be a pain.

Best part, is that depending on spare parts you have sitting around, more horsepower than you can get at the consumer level, and its basically free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2020, 02:30 AM   #16
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

^^ Agreed. Decoupling the hardware, software, and wifi is the best thing to do, as all your eggs are not in one basket. I have been using Astaro/SophosUTM for the past 10 years now, and on the same hardware for about 7 years. It still absolutely smashes any consumer router in features and power. I simply converted my old tplink dir-825 to an access point, and later swapped it out for a ubiquiti ap. When I need to upgrade my wifi, I will just upgrade the access point again.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2020, 04:52 PM   #17
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Costco has the R7960P-100NAS (X6S AC3600) for $149.99. Been rock solid since I got it with factory firmware.

Well I see you are not in US. I think R8000 AC4000 is very similar.

Last edited by confusedsoul : Jan 22, 2020 at 04:58 PM.
confusedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote