Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Default OK I give in, how do you install Intel coolers?

I have recently discovered the wonders of Intel coolers.

However, I have only ever installed AMD based heatsinks, and am a bit lost as to how these things are installed.

Would anyone care to explain how these leg posts things are supposed to work and hold the cooler in place, as i'm just totally lost?

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
mdrnhl
load "*" ,8,1

mdrnhl is still being judged by the masses

Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

My advice would be to try finding a foam sheet. Like the one you usually find in Motherboard package and snap the sink on the motherboard on that sheet. I found that easier than doing it inside the case. I was always snaping the HSF outside the case with AMD system but the Intel method got me confused.
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:06 PM   #4
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

OK, cheers for the advice. Is it just me that thinks these are a rather clumbsy and cheap looking design?

Do all cooling companies adopt this method for its Intel based cooling?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:33 PM   #5
CR2500
Radeon Northern Islands

CR2500 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0**Salamander{0** View Post
OK, cheers for the advice. Is it just me that thinks these are a rather clumbsy and cheap looking design?

Do all cooling companies adopt this method for its Intel based cooling?
What, the push pins? Those are easy less-than-a-minute installations, but are cheap and make insufficient pressure against the CPU heatspreader. Some HSF use this design, but it ruins performance, (such as Scythe).

CR2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:14 AM   #6
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Tried to install it again, but I just don't have the confidence to push that hard down on these peg things.

So I have ordered a 3rd party cooler, the Big Typhoon, which I believe uses a screw based mechanism to attach to the motherboard.

What an awful design these push peg Intel coolers are, I am really annoyed about this.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yes i to had real trouble installing mine had to push like an sob.

Don`t know if this will help at all but.......

traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 02:45 PM   #8
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0**Salamander{0** View Post
Tried to install it again, but I just don't have the confidence to push that hard down on these peg things.

So I have ordered a 3rd party cooler, the Big Typhoon, which I believe uses a screw based mechanism to attach to the motherboard.

What an awful design these push peg Intel coolers are, I am really annoyed about this.

I found that in the hardway that the Intel stock HSF are a big effin pile of crap. They don`t snap well at all. I`ve tried the Thermaltake HSF TMG which adopt the same mechanism of Intel and they were a damn breeze to install. If you have some extra cash, you can get a decent HSF.

EDIT: oh you ordered a Typhoon ^______^

Last edited by JonZ : Apr 28, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 03:12 PM   #9
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Intel coolers are effin' retarded.

The mounting system requires ridiculous amounts of force from all sides at the same time, & then you've got a heatsink that barely is held in.

the Typhoon =

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 06:13 PM   #10
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Yeah, I have had all 4 pegs installed and have gone through the motherboard, however when I picked up the cooler attached to the motherboard, the cooler was very loose, and not in the "vice like" grip I am used to.

Ah well, I'll just have to wait a few days for my Typhoon to turn up.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
(asrock video)
Pins are "easily to be damaged."
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 09:39 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Installed a stock 775 cooler today. Not a fan. Have to line up the slots on the shafts of the pins before depressing, before turning into the lock position. Don't know how you would do it reliably in situ.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 02:39 AM   #13
ultimadrift
Radeon Evergreen

ultimadrift is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
Yes i to had real trouble installing mine had to push like an sob.

Don`t know if this will help at all but.......

This is the funniest vid i ever seen...but ya...iono how its hard to install one...just push the pins...my HSF is really tight and it doesnt loosen up
ultimadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:51 AM   #14
MDC
Radeon Northern Islands

Location: United States Center of the Universe, Washington DC
MDC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Installed a stock 775 cooler today. Not a fan. Have to line up the slots on the shafts of the pins before depressing, before turning into the lock position. Don't know how you would do it reliably in situ.
You turn clockwise to the lock position before pressing the pins. You should only turn them again when you want to remove the heatsink.
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote