Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Nokia apologises for 'faked' Lumia smartphone advert

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

Quote:
The advert showed a man filming his girlfriend using the new smartphone while both of them were riding bicycles.

The footage cut from professionally-filmed material, featuring both actors, to what looked like it was the video captured by the man's Nokia device.

A split-screen sequence then showed what the smartphone's footage would look like with Nokia's optical image stabilisation (OIS) feature turned on and switched off.

The footage was intended to support the firm's claim that its technology helped reduce image blur. It was shown at a press conference on Wednesday to support Nokia's boast that the Lumia 920 featured the best smartphone image quality on the market.

The Verge's article said: "too bad it's faked".

Nokia's blog acknowledged the problem in a post titled "An apology is due".

"We produced a video that stimulates what we will be able to deliver with OIS," wrote the site's editor Heidi Lemmetyinen.

"Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but we should have posted a disclaimer stating this was a representation of OIS only. This was not shot with a Lumia 920... we apologise for the confusion we created."
After this and 900 series users getting the shaft I don't know why anyone would ever deal with this company.

Quote:
"That is an important element in trying to maintain trust. The company does have a code of conduct recognising that 'high ethics means success' and states that the company 'conducts its marketing in a responsible way'.
They used to be a good company.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Douglaster
X360 - PC

Douglaster is still being judged by the masses

Sorry but nobody cares
Douglaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

This doesn't really surprise me. Using professional footage to demonstrate a specific effect in a presentation video/demo seems appropriate to me. As much as you want to put together the footage using only a handheld device, I suspect you'd introduce more visual artifacts that would distract from the specific feature you're trying to demonstrate. The real question is does the OIS feature work? If so, does it work exactly as demonstrated in the video?
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:01 AM   #4
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

One should see real footage shown in an ad. It's not just about motion. It's about dynamic range which is extremely important. It's also about noise. It's about the compression engine used any motion or stationary artifacts it introduces. It's about color gamut. It's about the focal depth and focusing system.

To make a video with another device and say it's the phone is the ultimate in dishonesty because it is a lie in every aspect. When I look at a video I don't just look at the OIS, I note the other things as well.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The story on Gizmodo made me laugh only because they show this photo of the cameramen in a reflection:

And a user commented asking if they were sure it was the cameramen or batman & robin?

Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

The new Lumias are great phones, can't wait to get a 920. As for the advert, pfffft. This happens all the time, surely no one believes TV any more? You can see other real-life videos where the camera is clearly demonstrated to be quite an amazing piece of work, like this one:

That said, it's just a cellphone. Like the trial with Apple and Samsung, these things seem blown out of proportion to me. As if it was a trial for a mass murderer who got away, and not two companies suing each other over a cellphone...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:24 PM   #7
DigitalDemon
Manches Madness

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolok View Post
You can see other real-life videos where the camera is clearly demonstrated to be quite an amazing piece of work, like this one:

There is something fishy about this. There is no way in hell that camera can take that picture normally, for the simple fact the resulting image has the flower vase that was lit from the top, you can clearly see the shaded areas below the flowers. A real image with a long shutter time would have produced an image that appeared front-lit from ambient light from the camera shooting spot. I am betting the guy is trying to pass off the light as AF assist, when it looks to be using it as some kind of slow sync flash. The inside of that box is also most likely rigged up to bounce that light around to get the results that you see. Considering both the video and image samples were faked, I wouldn't doubt they are cheating at live demos as well.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:56 PM   #8
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Something being fake in an ad is hardly newsworthy.
Isnt pretty much everything always fake in ads?
Like anytime there is a screen in ads for TVs or whatever, they never really just film the screen.
You´d have glare flickering and all sorts of nonsense.
And all the ads for phones where they´re outside, you wouldnt see dick on those screens if they were just shot IRL and not posted on there.

Or these shiny happy people in their sterile homes with one stain on the floor and a huge smile cleaning it up with this "wonder mop" or whathave you.
Or shampoo commercials going on about this and that and how it´s validated by the science institute of science in scienceonia.

Sure this was maybe setup to more seem like footage shot from the device, but still.
I just natually assume that everything in ads are bold faced lies, made up by callous soulless media people.

If they had a big line of text saying "ACTUAL FOOTAGE FROM THE PHONE" then maybe it would be mention worthy, but getting uppety about a commercial being missleading?
That´s the entire CORE ESSENCE of commercials.
And that´s why there are things like reviews.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Stimulating.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:24 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
One should see real footage shown in an ad. It's not just about motion. It's about dynamic range which is extremely important. It's also about noise. It's about the compression engine used any motion or stationary artifacts it introduces. It's about color gamut. It's about the focal depth and focusing system.

To make a video with another device and say it's the phone is the ultimate in dishonesty because it is a lie in every aspect. When I look at a video I don't just look at the OIS, I note the other things as well.
Can you see all that accurately in a broadcast TV quality commercial?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Nosferatu
Hasta la victoria siempre

Nosferatu is still being judged by the masses

Old Sep 6, 2012, 04:54 PM   #12
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Can you see all that accurately in a broadcast TV quality commercial?
Well I have a VT series plasma so I'm trying my best. If the commercial is in HD I can see some of it. I don't have a DVR setup at this time so I'd have to be there. I've been disappointed by a lot of digital camcorders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
No excuse for it.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Zoolok
The Fly

All this analysis over a phone commercial?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:24 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
All this analysis over a phone commercial?
truth in advertizing is pretty important.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Zoolok
The Fly

Quote:
But it never existed? I can't believe that someone, somewhere did such an analysis of the photographs to prove something. The question of that person having a life comes to mind. And seriously, who actually believes what they see in a commercial?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:37 PM   #16
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Multi-GPU Graphics Technology

Quote:
But it never existed? I can't believe that someone, somewhere did such an analysis of the photographs to prove something. The question of that person having a life comes to mind. And seriously, who actually believes what they see in a commercial?
Its a combination of Nokia, Microsoft and Windows Phone haterade that lead to this i think......
Nokia became a laughing stock when they dumped meego for Windows phone and symbian was going nowhere but towards the toilet. So i think people are just finding reasons to hate on them.

If Apple did this it would get shrugged off and be forgotten in a few days.

As far as i know, the OIS function works pretty well from what i read. The pureview camera needs to be tested in normal camera conditions instead of against non-flash uses in completely dark areas.....

A good camera was what i wanted when i got my smartphone 2 years ago and i was disappoint that it was just as terrible (but not as terrible) as my old not-even-a-dumbphone slider phone nokia with its i think 3mp camera.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense

Last edited by Sasquach : Sep 6, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
This doesn't really surprise me. Using professional footage to demonstrate a specific effect in a presentation video/demo seems appropriate to me. As much as you want to put together the footage using only a handheld device, I suspect you'd introduce more visual artifacts that would distract from the specific feature you're trying to demonstrate. The real question is does the OIS feature work? If so, does it work exactly as demonstrated in the video?
Wasn't some Avengers scenes shot with an iphone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Zoolok
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Its a combination of Nokia, Microsoft and Windows Phone haterade that lead to this i think......
Nokia became a laughing stock when they dumped meego for Windows phone and symbian was going nowhere but towards the toilet. So i think people are just finding reasons to hate on them.

If Apple did this it would get shrugged off and be forgotten in a few days.

As far as i know, the OIS function works pretty well from what i read. The pureview camera needs to be tested in normal camera conditions instead of against non-flash uses in completely dark areas.....

A good camera was what i wanted when i got my smartphone 2 years ago and i was disappoint that it was just as terrible (but not as terrible) as my old not-even-a-dumbphone slider phone nokia with its i think 3mp camera.
I agree, I guess it's still cool to hate Microsoft and now Nokia. Also, from what I've seen as well, the camera on the new Lumia is quite amazing for a cellphone device. The screen, the camera and the battery (the three most important hardware specs for a phone IMHO) all seem very good on the new Lumia.

Also, in other news, an Internet user is shocked to hear that an online advertisment lied and he, in fact, was NOT the millionth visitor
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I agree, I guess it's still cool to hate Microsoft and now Nokia. Also, from what I've seen as well, the camera on the new Lumia is quite amazing for a cellphone device. The screen, the camera and the battery (the three most important hardware specs for a phone IMHO) all seem very good on the new Lumia.

Also, in other news, an Internet user is shocked to hear that an online advertisment lied and he, in fact, was NOT the millionth visitor
Unfortunately, for the current generation of phone users, the 3 most important aspects for a phone are:

-Does it have more powers than the current king?
-Does apple make it?
-Can it be rooted?

Old Sep 6, 2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
In the US?

They sell beer and cola with ****ing polar bears and ice-cold trains and stuff.

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:57 PM   #21
ATi VGA Wonder

I didn't know The BBC was a group of Microsoft and Nokia haters.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:29 AM   #22
Zoolok
The Fly

Even the BBC sometimes goes with the flow Don't get me started on how they sometimes write a silly article about football (soccer). I'm looking at you, Phil McNulty

Seriously, these things happen all the time, in fact, I am yet to see an honest commercial. I hate commercials.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:30 AM   #23
Zoolok
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Unfortunately, for the current generation of phone users, the 3 most important aspects for a phone are:

-Does it have more powers than the current king?
-Does apple make it?
-Can it be rooted?

Ah, so true and so stupid
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
not to the advertiser
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:46 AM   #25
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
not to the advertiser
It is when they get spanked for it.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:36 PM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
It is when they get spanked for it.
Polar bears. Drinking coke.

Come on...

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #27
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
They used to be a good company.
Yes, then they hired an American CEO. Here are the results.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #28
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Yes, then they hired an American CEO. Here are the results.
This was cutting edge. It really impressed me when I bought it new almost a decade ago. I had many other Nokia and Motorola phones back in the day and nothing impressed me like this did. My Moto Startac was an interesting form factor for it's time but the Nokia had cool new technology in it.

The first Symbian 60 series for the US market.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3600/3650
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=897&c=nokia_3600

Of course I have the American version and I still have it in my drawer. This phone impressed me more than any other phone I had because it was such a leader at the time. It had an outstanding speakerphone.

Even though the resolution was horrid it could do H.264 video recording a decade ago and had removable storage along with BT etc.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
This was cutting edge. It really impressed me when I bought it new almost a decade ago. I had many other Nokia and Motorola phones back in the day and nothing impressed me like this did. My Moto Startac was an interesting form factor for it's time but the Nokia had cool new technology in it.

The first Symbian 60 series for the US market.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3600/3650
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=897&c=nokia_3600

Of course I have the American version and I still have it in my drawer. This phone impressed me more than any other phone I had because it was such a leader at the time. It had an outstanding speakerphone.

Even though the resolution was horrid it could do H.264 video recording a decade ago and had removable storage along with BT etc.
They've been on a downward spiral ever since Iphone/Android came onto the scene and dominated. Symbian was never the same OS as those two. The only question that will ever remain a mystery is would Nokia have done better using their Meego OS rather than dumping it and going WP. It would be a hard question to answer. The Nokia loyalists all would have blindly took a liking to meego the same way they just shunned WP, the developer support didnt appear to be there not even from the beginning, and just like the WP launch hardware, it was still stuck on the single cores when the competition was moving on to dual cores and more powerful hardware (even though the n9 had better hardware than gen1 WP phones). It was definately not as limited an OS as WP started out as though.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 02:39 PM   #30
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Looking at WP7, it almost seems like it should be a slam dunk. M$ building the OS with robust developer toolsets already waiting, ready to be used. I think Nokia made a good decision here, it's just hard to explain why it hasn't been a bigger success so far. I knew WP7/8 making headway against Android & iOS was going to be difficult but I was expecting a much more solid showing. So I understand why Nokia went all in. There was every reason to expect WP7/8 to be a success. It still may be, the market desperately needs a 3rd ecosystem and **** Apple, they'll have a fight on their hands if they go after M$ head on.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote