Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Default Nokia Lumia 920

Sneaky Russian have gotten Lumia 920 and are testing its key features against Galaxy SIII

Video recording with OIS on:

Low light camera performance:

Super sensitive screen:

I think Nokia might have just gotten me to get one once it is released (hopefully next month)...

Last edited by painkiller : Sep 24, 2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Added full name to title
painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:38 AM   #2
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Looks like a nice ass phone... HUGE though. But nice.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

The camera is just amazing, but I have my doubts with MS Windows System and its online market. if I want top notch camera I will buy canon camera not a phone.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I kinda regret I got the One X a few months back, not because I don't like it, but because it prevents me from buying this.
Damn.
Maybe I'll convince my wife to upgrade from her Lumia 800
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think this is what I'm getting, but I'll need to demo it at a store first. I'm concerned this will be too big to go to from a 3GS.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Seems really big. GSIII is already bigger than I would really like and this is just a hair bigger.

I am thinking my first foray into Windows 8 mobile will be a tablet (Assuming MS hits that $200 price point).

Last edited by aviphysics : Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I think this is what I'm getting, but I'll need to demo it at a store first. I'm concerned this will be too big to go to from a 3GS.
Everythings bigger than a 3gs......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:42 AM   #8
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolok View Post
The Windows Marketplace will grow, new things are coming up constantly. Though I don't use my phone for apps that much (I do that on my iPad).
Well I can wait

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I was just playing around wtih some newbie apps that emulate the windows 8 start screen. (The one that seems to be the best emulation is called 'w phone 8')

At first glance it seems more like "huh? That's it?" But after fiddling around with it i gotta say its a milion times better than the current existing start screen with 2 columns of tiles and a thin blank gutter strip on he right hand side.

The removal of that gutter ad the resizable tiles made such a huge difference in both aesthetics and customizability.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I was just playing around wtih some newbie apps that emulate the windows 8 start screen. (The one that seems to be the best emulation is called 'w phone 8')

At first glance it seems more like "huh? That's it?" But after fiddling around with it i gotta say its a milion times better than the current existing start screen with 2 columns of tiles and a thin blank gutter strip on he right hand side.

The removal of that gutter ad the resizable tiles made such a huge difference in both aesthetics and customizability.
Just tried the W phone 8 on my Lumina 710 and it does make the home screen nice.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:24 PM   #11
bman212121
Radeon R520

bman212121 is still being judged by the masses

Not sure what apps everyone is looking for? Apps are going to be the 800lb Gorilla I guess when it comes to Windows Phone. I have Pandora through metro Radio, Skype is supposed to be integrated in WP8, as is facebook. There are apps for youtube, great games like Taptitude. Office takes care of Word / Excel, I can view PDFs, surf the web, e-mail is integrated as is the calendar, and you can view Google Docs via G docs. Skydrive is integrated, there is support for bing maps and Gmaps. RDP/SSH, Netflix, gasbuddy, and you can get shazam or you can just use the built in audio recognition that's under the search button. Even Angry Birds has made it's way over since it's such a big name now.

The only thing is doesn't have is the one hit wonders like WWF because after their 15 minutes of fame is up no one really cares and it's on to the next big thing...
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So apparently this is going to be an AT&T exclusive now. So Nokia can go **** themselves.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

To bump the thread a bit... I finally managed to get a yellow Lumia 920 I love the phone, as I thought I would I miss the Photosynth app from my old Lumia 800, but I saw that a WP8 version is in the making. In the meantime, I love the Cinemagraph app :P

The device is really amazing, I hope it generates enough revenue for Nokia...

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_224 using Board Express
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolok View Post
To bump the thread a bit... I finally managed to get a yellow Lumia 920 I love the phone, as I thought I would I miss the Photosynth app from my old Lumia 800, but I saw that a WP8 version is in the making. In the meantime, I love the Cinemagraph app :P

The device is really amazing, I hope it generates enough revenue for Nokia...

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_224 using Board Express
I am waiting for Photosynth too
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

help me out here.

I can upgrade my Lumia 710 to a Samsung ATIV S (since its the only thing Telus carries...) for 0 on a renewed 3 year contract.

But i wanted a Lumia 920 because of the extra Nokia stuff, the wireless charging and the camera capabilities (which is odd since i hardly take any photos lol).

However the removable battery (my 710 has froze a few times and a reinsert of the battery fixed all) and the SD slot in the ATIV may prove its worth at some point. (im running out of space on my 710....it only has 8gb....space wise its a huge downgrade over my old destroyed Optimus7 which had 16, but the 710 is a hugely superior phone to it)

I was out with friends recently on a wedding trip and was able to sample my friend's Galaxy SII and its a nice phone in its own right, which is why im starting to consider the ATIV S. It looks and feels a bit more premium than the Galaxy S3 when held side by side due to its slight exterior modifications (the fake brushed aluminum looking back plate makes it feel less plasticky than the S3) even though its largely the same thing.

Now i dunno if i want to wait for anything new in the next couple months (like a quad core lumia) or just bite the bullet and join in on the fun now. My contract expires in November or thereabouts.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:38 AM   #16
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
help me out here.

I can upgrade my Lumia 710 to a Samsung ATIV S (since its the only thing Telus carries...) for 0 on a renewed 3 year contract.

But i wanted a Lumia 920 because of the extra Nokia stuff, the wireless charging and the camera capabilities (which is odd since i hardly take any photos lol).

However the removable battery (my 710 has froze a few times and a reinsert of the battery fixed all) and the SD slot in the ATIV may prove its worth at some point. (im running out of space on my 710....it only has 8gb....space wise its a huge downgrade over my old destroyed Optimus7 which had 16, but the 710 is a hugely superior phone to it)

I was out with friends recently on a wedding trip and was able to sample my friend's Galaxy SII and its a nice phone in its own right, which is why im starting to consider the ATIV S. It looks and feels a bit more premium than the Galaxy S3 when held side by side due to its slight exterior modifications (the fake brushed aluminum looking back plate makes it feel less plasticky than the S3) even though its largely the same thing.

Now i dunno if i want to wait for anything new in the next couple months (like a quad core lumia) or just bite the bullet and join in on the fun now. My contract expires in November or thereabouts.
The expandable storage is nice and apparently you can also turn the phone on by pressing the window button (not capacitive like on the Nokia and HTC).

So it's definitely a nice device. You might want to check it out in your hand with a side by side comparison.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:36 AM   #17
Palmer946

Palmer946 is still being judged by the masses

Get the lumia 920 it's way better than any other phone out there and it also can basically do everything the surface can. The phone has an amazing 4.5" screen with very good and high resolution. The resolution is even higher than HD
which makes it enjoyable for you to watch videos on it because of the big size and because of the amazing resolution.
Palmer946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:02 AM   #18
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Bladedog is still being judged by the masses

Default Two updates and a noob move

Three updates:

Firstly I received my free wireless charger and what amazes me the most is I have my phone in a wallet case (hard plastic fitted tray with a fake leather wrap-around piece) and it charges with that in place. I'm really impressed by that.

Secondly I had some abysmal battery life in the first few days, down to 9 hours on one charge when all I did was answer a dozen text messages throughout the day, nothing more. I've since followed Nokia's on instructions on extending battery life (basically turning off a heap of background functions which have not affected the usability at all) and conditioned the battery by completely discharging and recharging to 100% and I am now regularly getting 48 hours give-or-take with normal usage.

And thirdly a bit of a noob move but admiting to it might help someone else. I wanted to load up some music and I have Win Vista on the home PC. With Vista you have two options, load via WMP or Explorer. I tried both but no matter what I did I could not get the phone to be recognised. Then I read the Nokia instructions again, you have to unlock the screen lock first!!! DOH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sMashPiranha View Post
Oooo, where can I find servers with this feature :drool:
Bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladedog View Post
Three updates:

Firstly I received my free wireless charger and what amazes me the most is I have my phone in a wallet case (hard plastic fitted tray with a fake leather wrap-around piece) and it charges with that in place. I'm really impressed by that.

Secondly I had some abysmal battery life in the first few days, down to 9 hours on one charge when all I did was answer a dozen text messages throughout the day, nothing more. I've since followed Nokia's on instructions on extending battery life (basically turning off a heap of background functions which have not affected the usability at all) and conditioned the battery by completely discharging and recharging to 100% and I am now regularly getting 48 hours give-or-take with normal usage.

And thirdly a bit of a noob move but admiting to it might help someone else. I wanted to load up some music and I have Win Vista on the home PC. With Vista you have two options, load via WMP or Explorer. I tried both but no matter what I did I could not get the phone to be recognised. Then I read the Nokia instructions again, you have to unlock the screen lock first!!! DOH!
Also, a quick FYI, if you go to the Windows Phone site and sign in with your login, if you acquire any applications, you can just push to your phone and it will download

You literally never have to plug this phone to anything.

-edit-

Allegedly Spotify, Pandora, and Photosynth are coming soon.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:01 PM   #20
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm consistently running into the audio bug. It seems sometimes it doesn't switch apps right and it will lock into whatever the audio setting is at launch. Changing it from 4 to 30 makes no difference, it stays at the same level. Frustrating.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:04 PM   #21
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I'm consistently running into the audio bug. It seems sometimes it doesn't switch apps right and it will lock into whatever the audio setting is at launch. Changing it from 4 to 30 makes no difference, it stays at the same level. Frustrating.
What audio bug? Is it initially caused by any particular application?