Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jul 11, 2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
What Titanic?

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Console digital can destroy console history?

So I watched this video

One of the big points he talks about is about how digital would cause the history of games to go away, that our children or grand children won't be able to play these games in the future since no physical editions would exist.

And here I am thinking, "What?, does he know nothing about the history of PC gaming and the history of games?"

I'm looking at PC gaming, and I see the history of games being easily accessible even though the game is 10, 15, 20, 30+ years old now all thanks to digital. PC gaming history is being preserved through digital. I look at console gaming, and I don't see any history there being preserved except through ROMs which again is digital, and hardly any history is being preserved because of the physical games existence, and the ones that are preserved it is not easily accessible for everyone.

So I find his argument about that to be very strange given the already 16 year history of digital gaming on the PC.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 01:39 AM   #2
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

For PC that answer is easy, if you can't find it legally for sure it's hidden away somewhere on the interwebs where you can find it.

Consoles you're limited to what the console manufacturer wants, i.e. Sony even though it can easily and has in the past been able to play PS1/PS2 titles no longer does this.

Microsoft is much better in this regard, it's not perfect but at least they're trying to make it so that most (especially the bigger games) can be played no matter the generation, and some even enhanced.

Sony needs a huge kick in the ass for this.

PC however doesn't have this kind of issue as it's just "one platform" that is slowly evolving but not a complete change, and when it does evolve to a point of complete change there's emulators.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:57 PM   #3
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

For self-contained games that are single player offline experiences, it's not unfathomable that newer hardware will enable brute forced emulation to ensure successful archival. For online games, that is somewhat more difficult. I don't really think it's an enormously big deal though. For historical purposes it can suffice to note a game's existance: video's, reviews, screenshots. Actually playing games that are obsolete (think 30, 40 years back) has limited value.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2020, 04:59 PM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Yea for consoles it can get tricky, you might have to hack your console. SirBaron nails it. On PC there is always a way, and it's rarely complicated.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote