Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 1, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GRimm862
Banned

GRimm862 is still being judged by the masses

Default Found 20 light years away: the New Earth

GRimm862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 03:58 PM   #2
SkullE_again
Rage3D Veteran

SkullE_again is still being judged by the masses

WOW did you read it..... its got water and GRAVITY. cool.......f-in morons.
Old May 1, 2007, 04:38 PM   #3
SkullE_again
Rage3D Veteran

SkullE_again is still being judged by the masses

They don't need to say that it has gravity. Its a given.

As apposed to some planet out there that doesn't have gravity.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 1, 2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Jankan
Banged

Jankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding in this thread. Never mind me, i am slow sometimes.
Old May 1, 2007, 05:13 PM   #5
The Pig
Banned

The Pig is still being judged by the masses

I read a lot of "probably"s and mostly wishful thinking, but a cool discovery none the less.
The Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 06:04 PM   #6
GRimm862
Banned

GRimm862 is still being judged by the masses

idk why i put that title i was freakin out cause i was stoned, my bad fellas.
GRimm862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRimm862 View Post
idk why i put that title i was freakin out cause i was stoned, my bad fellas.
Maybe when you're "stoned" next time you should restrain from posting for a little while.
Old May 1, 2007, 07:43 PM   #8
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

It would be interesting to have a red dwarf for a sun wouldn't it? You would have to get some red blocker sunglasses. I wonder how much guessing the scientists are doing with this discovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Forgiven...

Well I think a mod will make this go bye bye...
Nah, I don't think this thread will be moved.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Humus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Humus is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It's got the same climate as Earth, plus water and gravity.
It's got gravity! OMFG!!!

Quote:
A newly discovered planet is the most stunning evidence that life - just like us - might be out there.
Evidence that life might be out there. Oh lord ...
Humus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 08:07 PM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Thread renamed & posts deleted.

This forum does not begin w/ P nor end w/ R.
Old May 1, 2007, 08:36 PM   #11
mbeeston
Azure Tenebrae

mbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post

your no fun

anyway, wonder how much i'd wiergh there.. you know.. i never been on a planet with "gravity" before
"Intelligence has nothing to do with politics." - ambassador muwlari
" when somethings weird and it don't look good, who do you think it is? GHOST NAPPA"
mbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 08:45 PM   #12
Honsy
I killed the RLD

Location: Canada The wrong side of Insanity a.k.a. Mississauga, ON
Honsy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullE_again View Post
They don't need to say that it has gravity. Its a given.

As apposed to some planet out there that doesn't have gravity.
They're probably meaning Earth like gravity, i.e. close to 1g

Join Team Rage3D Folding and help make science happen.
Learn more
Honsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

o
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 08:55 PM   #14
mbeeston
Azure Tenebrae

mbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
o
'canada
" when somethings weird and it don't look good, who do you think it is? GHOST NAPPA"
Old May 1, 2007, 10:21 PM   #15
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post

do you mean begin w/ P nor end w/ N? last time I checked, religion ended with an N. now I'm confused.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 10:43 PM   #16
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
do you mean begin w/ P nor end w/ N? last time I checked, religion ended with an N. now I'm confused.
now your just being picky
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 10:50 PM   #17
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeeston View Post
'canada
Owned. HAh.

Also this means nothing... it will affect is in no way, unless one of you comes up with some method to travel 20 light years ... whcih wont happen like in the movies unfortunately

edit: dont mean to be a party pooper *tear*

Last edited by phial : May 1, 2007 at 10:52 PM.
phial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 10:58 PM   #18
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phial View Post
Owned. HAh.

Also this means nothing... it will affect is in no way, unless one of you comes up with some method to travel 20 light years ... whcih wont happen like in the movies unfortunately

edit: dont mean to be a party pooper *tear*
eh, I think its pretty pessimistic to say we'll never get there. At the least, we can send a telescope/probe/whatever and take pretty pictures. I mean, 100 years ago, we didn't have airplanes, and now we have F-22s and such that can accelerate in a completely vertical climb, and have been to the moon, but you think we will NEVER make it 20 light years? Come on. People 100 years ago would have said oh, yeah, we'll never be able to fly across the globe in a matter of hours, wtf is wrong with you?
Old May 1, 2007, 11:21 PM   #19
phial
no things

yea i hear what your saying, but you have to think of the scales involved... reaching the moon doesnt require even a fraction of the fuel required to send an object 20 lightyears...

instaed of trying to explain the scale heres a handy animated picture ... http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...su/powersof10/ the distances and precision we have achieved so far is still orders of magnitude smaller than what we would need to travel that far...
Old May 1, 2007, 11:32 PM   #20
Dragex
Pwned and Boned

Dragex is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
eh, I think its pretty pessimistic to say we'll never get there. At the least, we can send a telescope/probe/whatever and take pretty pictures. I mean, 100 years ago, we didn't have airplanes, and now we have F-22s and such that can accelerate in a completely vertical climb, and have been to the moon, but you think we will NEVER make it 20 light years? Come on. People 100 years ago would have said oh, yeah, we'll never be able to fly across the globe in a matter of hours, wtf is wrong with you?
Look it is quite simple... if you TURNED INTO LIGHT, it would take 20 years to get there. Now thats going to be kinda hard to reach mmmk?

Everything is possible... however it would probably come from something we don't even know about... some revolutionary technology. :shrug:

Fallout3, Mirror's Edge, HL2:Ep2, Braid, CoD4, Crysis WH.

Upcoming games I'm going to play:

FF7 PSOneEmulator, FarCry2, NWN2, BioShockPc, Finish Assassin's Creed,
SW:Force Unleashed, Trine, The Witcher, Finish Doom3.
Dragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:37 PM   #21
Potato Masher!
Comfortably Numb

Potato Masher! is still being judged by the masses

Why move the ship around the universe when you can move the universe around the ship
Potato Masher! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:40 PM   #22
phial
no things

omigosh now we just need us one of them universe manipulators
Old May 1, 2007, 11:41 PM   #23
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragex View Post
Look it is quite simple... if you TURNED INTO LIGHT, it would take 20 years to get there. Now thats going to be kinda hard to reach mmmk?

Everything is possible... however it would probably come from something we don't even know about... some revolutionary technology. :shrug:
build the warp drive and they will come (laugh at us because they already know how to make one and were keeping count how long Earthlings could make one, Aliens that is)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:52 PM   #24
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by phial View Post
yea i hear what your saying, but you have to think of the scales involved... reaching the moon doesnt require even a fraction of the fuel required to send an object 20 lightyears...

instaed of trying to explain the scale heres a handy animated picture ... http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...su/powersof10/ the distances and precision we have achieved so far is still orders of magnitude smaller than what we would need to travel that far...
well, actually, since there isn't any friction in space, it would take exactly the same amount of fuel to get there eventually.... it would just take a really long time. I understand why it will be incredibly difficult to get there, but I'm positive it'll eventually happen. (Give an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of typewriters and an infinite amount of time later you'll get the complete works of shakespeare, or a bunch of dead chimps.... or something)
Old May 1, 2007, 11:53 PM   #25
mbeeston
Azure Tenebrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
Why move the ship around the universe when you can move the universe around the ship
dark matter engines GO!
Old May 2, 2007, 12:11 AM   #26
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeeston View Post
dark matter engines GO!
i learned how to make them in a dream, but i forgot it in another dream
Old May 2, 2007, 12:26 AM   #27
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
well, actually, since there isn't any friction in space, it would take exactly the same amount of fuel to get there eventually.... it would just take a really long time. I understand why it will be incredibly difficult to get there, but I'm positive it'll eventually happen. (Give an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of typewriters and an infinite amount of time later you'll get the complete works of shakespeare, or a bunch of dead chimps.... or something)

probably a room full of feces...
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 01:03 AM   #28
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

OMG..... I can't believe you guys are such massive neutron noobs.

Jerry Siegel knew about this long before scientists discovered it.

It's frikken krypton!! DURR.

And they found kryptonite as well. Coincidence? I think not.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 01:05 AM   #29
Dragex
Pwned and Boned

Dragex is still being judged by the masses

DorX that made me laugh out loud...

Buen chiste, buen chiste.

Fallout3, Mirror's Edge, HL2:Ep2, Braid, CoD4, Crysis WH.

Upcoming games I'm going to play:

FF7 PSOneEmulator, FarCry2, NWN2, BioShockPc, Finish Assassin's Creed,
SW:Force Unleashed, Trine, The Witcher, Finish Doom3.
Dragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 02:00 AM   #30
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

deja vu?

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote