Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default 3D Printing

IMHO 3D printing is the biggest thing since Da Intrenetzz.
It will replace lots of jobs and make other materials/labour more cost effective.

Looking at possibly buying a 3D printer for work for printing prototypes, etc.
Does anyone have any experience with 3D printers?

What company/model did you go with? what do u use it for? What materials are you able to print? What tech?? sinthering, additive manufacturing, etc?

I've been up to my eyeballs reading aBOOT it.

They're already 3D printing houses. I wonder if it will ever become practical?

Food for thought:
1. some nerd should buy a 3D printer then see if they can 3D print themselves a whole bunch of 3D printers. Would take a lot of knowledge of the inner workings.

2. If I 3D print but then the object moves, occupies another time or space is that then 4D/5D printing?

3. can a Rager 3D print a person then have manches? Would it beat a real doll?

4. Will Rage3D eventually become to mean a place for 3D printing instead of 3D gaming? (We need robots to make games, jeez.... or it reads my mind on what game I want and it makes the code for me working flawlessly at 99999FPS)
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:11 PM   #2
MaxSt
Radeon Arctic Islands

MaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete stranger

Why grow things layer by layer, when you can start with a solid block of material, and then cut all unnecessary parts?

MaxSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:14 PM   #3
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSt View Post
hypermill
That's cool
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:42 PM   #4
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
Food for thought:
1. some nerd should buy a 3D printer then see if they can 3D print themselves a whole bunch of 3D printers. Would take a lot of knowledge of the inner workings.

2. If I 3D print but then the object moves, occupies another time or space is that then 4D/5D printing?

4. Will Rage3D eventually become to mean a place for 3D printing instead of 3D gaming? (We need robots to make games, jeez.... or it reads my mind on what game I want and it makes the code for me working flawlessly at 99999FPS)
1) There is no nerd nerdy enough to nerd the nerd out of that nerd fantasy.

2. Stay off the drugs (nerd)

#3 Why would you want a replacement when the real deal is so available

4: it will become a place for 3d printed graphics cards running 3d games on 3d monitors.

Nerds.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Why grow things layer by layer, when you can start with a solid block of material, and then cut all unnecessary parts?

Because its how we used to do things in the stone age

also on spongebob
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Because that's how I do them now and it has run its course
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
IMHO 3D printing is the biggest thing since Da Intrenetzz.
It will replace lots of jobs and make other materials/labour more cost effective.

Looking at possibly buying a 3D printer for work for printing prototypes, etc.
Does anyone have any experience with 3D printers?

What company/model did you go with? what do u use it for? What materials are you able to print? What tech?? sinthering, additive manufacturing, etc?

I've been up to my eyeballs reading aBOOT it.

They're already 3D printing houses. I wonder if it will ever become practical?

Food for thought:

4d printing is if the printer could influence the passage of time on the subject

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:30 PM   #8
MaxSt
Radeon Arctic Islands

MaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete stranger

What do you mean "it has run its course"?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Can't wait 'til we can print food.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 05:07 PM   #10
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Can't wait 'til we can print food.
your wish
http://www.startrek.com/article/star...earing-reality
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Awesome
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 05:16 PM   #12
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 09:55 AM   #13
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Two things.

1 - Those 3D food printers look like they take a lot more time and effort to make what you want than if you just did it by hand.

2 - There's no way in hell I'd put that "food" through my digestive tract.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Two things.

2 - There's no way in hell I'd put that "food" through my digestive tract.
just print another digestive track if yours break
Sundance Kid V2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:06 AM   #15
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid V2 View Post
I can see medical science getting to that point at some stage.

On a related subject, even since I've been on my strict low-carb diet and I've been eating healthier, my turds have been very clean. Not that turds are clean in and of themselves, but with the reduced fat and healthier foods I'm eating, there are no more etch-a-sketch turds leaving swirly patterns in the bowl, clean flush every time with no toilet brushing needed, and I haven't needed to clean the toilet in over 3 months. Still pristine and white. Clean turds. Awesome.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:19 AM   #16
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

On a related subject, even since I've been on my strict low-carb diet and I've been eating healthier, my turds have been very clean. Not that turds are clean in and of themselves, but with the reduced fat and healthier foods I'm eating, there are no more etch-a-sketch turds leaving swirly patterns in the bowl, clean flush every time with no toilet brushing needed, and I haven't needed to clean the toilet in over 3 months. Still pristine and white. Clean turds. Awesome.
Sundance Kid V2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:39 AM   #17
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid V2 View Post

Quote:

dang I wish I could talk myself out of eating cheeseburgers and pizza so much (without it being because I've gotten to a point where my body can't stand it anymore, because then its easy to talk yourself out of it)
Old Apr 2, 2014, 02:03 PM   #18
Spencer
CA Driftwood

Spencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete stranger

As the cost of 3D printers comes down over the years the number of forum stickies will go up throughout the web as more peeps get into it.
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 02:56 PM   #19
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

current 3d printing tech that's affordable for mere mortals kinda sucks. VERY very picky. Nozzles jam, sometimes it doesn't adhere and you get a stringy mess, in all circumstances it takes a long time to do anything worthwhile. Corners tend to buckle a little from shrinkage(!) on large pieces.

That said, when it works it's very cool. It'll just take 5 hours to see it the result

(we were printing something fairly large by 3d printer standards.)

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 02:57 PM   #20
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Can you 3d print poonany
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:12 PM   #21
MaxSt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Now that you said it out loud, some people here will certainly steal your idea and make billions.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:29 PM   #22
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

3dprintforums.com is a spinoff from cnczone.com so you might find some decent homebrew stuff there. If the cost was much much lower I'd really consider buying one.

Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:01 AM   #23
bete
Huh?

bete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Oz I really really do not want to know about your turds. Keep that biy of information to yourself please.

There is no gray area. There is right and wrong and I will decide which side your on.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:15 AM   #24
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

So good, YOU can lick it...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:22 AM   #25
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

vertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
We are already there.
vertual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:30 AM   #26
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertual View Post
But more specifically:
http://www.wakehealth.edu/Research/W...urn-Wounds.htm
http://thediplomat.com/2013/08/chine...living-tissue/

We've been able to "3d print" tissue for a while, but there are limitations: they can only be a handful of cells thick because we can't yet print an active circulatory system, and the cells will die because they can't get nutrients through osmosis when the tissue gets too thick. Basically, the cells are cultured seperately, then printed in single cell layers using essentially the same method as an ink jet - hoppers of liquid containing free floating cells.

Also, since when did this turn into a real thread? When I posted (and even now), I was/am 100% convinced that it was an april fools thread
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:03 AM   #27
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

I wanna be an inventor!
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:39 AM   #28
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Yeah this is a lot less jaggie than the layer based ones too. The layer ones are more for just building models of stuff and trinkets. Block based ones are what you want for high quality goods, but there seems to be a lot of waste... unless those blocks are super cheap.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 01:27 AM   #29
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Yeah this is a lot less jaggie than the layer based ones too. The layer ones are more for just building models of stuff and trinkets. Block based ones are what you want for high quality goods, but there seems to be a lot of waste... unless those blocks are super cheap.
It's also not printing at this point, it's machining.

Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:32 AM   #30
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

vertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete stranger

This is "inexpensive" rapid prototyping currently, not a new form of machining.

Architects can print what the house will look like, for example. Manufacturers can see a dozen variations on an idea for the price of one prototype in earlier generations.

It won't replace certain prototyping like car design, either; they still build full-scale models out of clay. By hand.

[Machining is removal, like whittling or lathing, just with metal.
vertual is offline   Reply With Quote