Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 6, 2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default 3D Printing

I know there have been threads on this in the past, but wanted to start a new one. I just bought a cheap 3D printer, the M3D Micro, and printed my first part, and it really came out nicely. I bought the 3D printer to help me make my guitar pickups, and I can already tell it's going to work splendidly.

Here's my first part:

It's a small piece meant for calibrating backlash and other settings. It actually printed out nearly perfectly, even fits a nickel in the middle like it's supposed to. I had to leave for work, but I left it printing a spool holder.

Does anyone else have a 3D printer? I've already started window shopping for my next one, probably a 10" MakerFarm Prusa i3v. The main downside to the M3D Micro is it has to always be plugged into the PC while running. It's also a bit slow.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2016, 04:32 PM   #2
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I don't have one, but at work I have a lot of specialized parts printed. I've learned that 3D printing is great for some things but not good for others. It depends on the precision you need, and the geometry of the part. I hope it keeps working for what you need.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2016, 04:44 PM   #3
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Just imagine what it will be doing in the next ten years
huskylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 6, 2016, 04:56 PM   #4
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Holding out for the metal printers....
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2016, 05:18 PM   #5
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
i'll take this

of course it would put a lot of people out of work
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2016, 06:25 PM   #6
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I want one, but I don't have the finances to afford or justify it, since it would basically only be for hobby projects.

There's a ton of technologies for 3d printers and the basic extrusion ones are the least expensive and most prevalent, but there are plenty of printers that do work well for higher precision and durability. I believe the printers they made the first 3d printed metal guns and the rocket engines on used laser sintering, so you have a layer of metal powder laid down on the stage, a laser heats a pattern into it melting the particles together in a very thin sheet, then another layer of powder is put down and the process repeats - it's much more accurate than conventional extrusion because the focus and drive mechanisms of the laser is the limiting factor and it can make much more durable, solid metal parts.... but it takes much longer and is much more expensive.

There's also fancy milling machines that effectively act like subtractive printers (I think that can still be called a printer ), but which can get their cutting bits into much tighter spaces than a normal CnC machine.

I don't know of specific single machines, but your best bet for speed and cost effectiveness right now is probably an extrusion printer that can lay down a filament of a very durable plastic combined with one of these 3d milling machines - so you can mill down to a tighter tolerance and better finish where you need it, but you don't have to start with sheet or block stock.

It's really neat technology and it's really neat to see it progress. So much of the hobby market is still built off of very simple, fairly slow control loops, but it seems like we've got the tech to get 2x the accuracy or better without too much added expense with just some revised heads/control mechanisms... and there are a number of startups trying to do just that.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:23 AM   #7
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Welcome to 2013...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_Concepts_1911_DMLS
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2016, 04:10 AM   #8
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Should have said holding out for one that doesn't cost $500,000.00....

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2016, 05:06 PM   #9
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
Just imagine what it will be doing in the next ten years
Old Feb 8, 2016, 08:37 AM   #10
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
LMAO!!!
Sundance Kid V2 is online now   Reply With Quote