Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 is the most stable mobile phone OS

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 is the most stable mobile phone OS

I can concur having a WP7 phone myself that I've never had to restart the device for any issue that I can think of.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Karma dictates that he'll have a dozen straight lockups tomorrow.

I do somewhat agree about the iOS app crashes at launch that appear to have no reason. There is a log (I view mine using the organizer in Xcode) but no user accessible on a default device. There should be some other indication of application crash other than being dumped back to the home screen.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:43 PM   #3
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

I would have to say, in my experience, its mostly been hardware reliability as opposed to OS choice.

Just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Sounds about right.

I don't see apps locking up and requiring a reboot or just not launching correctly like on my iPhone 4 on the Win 7 phones I have worked with.

Anecdotal evidence obviously, but still
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Sounds about right.

I don't see apps locking up and requiring a reboot or just not launching correctly like on my iPhone 4 on the Win 7 phones I have worked with.

Anecdotal evidence obviously, but still
Ive had games crash and needed restart, but the OS itself never **** the bed.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:13 PM   #6
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

I've got to agree with the author of that article.

WP7 has proven to be the most stable platform of the ones I've personally used over the years.

Android still seems like a beta product at times.
iOS feels lacking in stability at times and in general -- even error reporting is lacking...
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Ive had games crash and needed restart, but the OS itself never **** the bed.
Funny, sounds just like Android and iOS.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:28 AM   #8
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

ive had some apps hang or force close on android, specially that POS facebook app, i dont think its an OS issue but a fragmentation one
Old Sep 6, 2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
ive had some apps hang or force close on android, specially that POS facebook app, i dont think its an OS issue but a fragmentation one
That POS Facebook app is just a POS app, it even sucks on iOS AFAIK.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Yep, my coworkers with the iPhone 3 and 4 are always complaining that Facebook keeps messing up, and they wish they could downgrade to the version from practically a year ago.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Yep, my coworkers with the iPhone 3 and 4 are always complaining that Facebook keeps messing up, and they wish they could downgrade to the version from practically a year ago.
Facebook app works great on my WP7.

I'm a .NET developer myself and I can only speculate that one big reason why things might be quite stable on WP7 with apps is that they are basically written in Silverlight, which has been around for quite some time now and is pretty mature. .NET itself is a strong typed language and lends itself to being easy to releasing stable assemblies.

I have no experience though in developing for Android or iOS, so I can't speak as to how it compares. I'm only speculating why WP7 apps might be considered stable.

Last edited by Ristogod : Sep 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Ristogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Facebook app works great on my WP7.

I'm a .NET developer myself and I can only speculate that one big reason why things might be quite stable on WP7 with apps is that they are basically written in Silverlight, which has been around for quite some time now and is pretty mature. .NET itself is a strong typed language and lends itself to being easy to releasing stable assemblies.

I have no experience though in developing for Android or iOS, so I can't speak as to how it compares. I'm only speculating why WP7 apps might be considered stable.
Is the Facebook app on WP7 made by Facebook or MS?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Quote:
Is the Facebook app on WP7 made by Facebook or MS?
Hmmm... good point. I hadn't noticed before. After looking it up, it seems it's from Microsoft.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:52 AM   #14
voodoo1
Proud OIF Veteran

voodoo1 is still being judged by the masses

I would think WP7 would be rather stable. It takes Microsoft a while to get things right, but when they do they nail it.Tthe iPhone 4 has been a rather stable device for me. I had a droid a little over a year ago and that bastard crashed constantly. I have not had a single problem with my iPhone (yet). If I decided to go with another phone it definitely would be a WP7.
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Thing is WP7 doesnt need the most bleeding edge dual core mobile CPUs and doesnt need tweaking for it to run optimally.

In terms of optimization i think it falls in between ios (which apple sticks to its own hardware specs) and Droid (which is basically, 'heres an OS. Have at thee') so its like iOS where the hardware specs are set in stone and like Droid where anyone can make a handset.

I mean the launch hardware is actually pretty damn weak (65nm snapdragon family, 1ghz, Adreno200) compared to much of what was out at the time and even the updated specs arent drastically different (45nm snapdragon 1ghz with the adreno 205)

I mean when HTC has the most powerful WP7 phone now (the 4.7" screen HTC Titan, 1.5ghz single core with adreno205) it just kind of tells you that you dont really need dual cores and like adreno300 for it to run good.

I think ios has been running on the same hardware since forever (800mhz or 1ghz Apple A6(?) and PowerVR SGX535 or smething) while Androids have been anywhere between 800mhz/adreno205 (Lower end androids are apparently supposed to be avoided) and now dual core 1.5ghz/adreno220/powerVR SGX545 or something)

Oh and the Mango update (supposedly coming this month, around the 15th) should make it an easier sell, since it more or less brings wp7 to feature parity with droid and ios.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:58 PM   #17
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Loaded the RTM of Mango yesterday on my HD7 and not that it needed it but is much smoother. Subtle features I have missed like visual voicemail on t-mobile are finally usable, voice search and dictation for text messaging while driving work like a charm.

No more bar code scanning app needed as bing does it for you.

These are just a few things I have noticed and so far have been pleasantly surprised. My phone runs all the time and was re-booted only for OS updates so from my experience having both android and WP7 stability goes to WP7.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote