Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Windows Phone adds multitasking, deep phone integration, and sensor access to devs

Microsoft hopes this will allow developers to make even more creative and engaging apps.

We knew it was coming, and today at MIX 11, Microsoft showed off its developer platform for the next version of Windows Phone, which developers will be able to get their hands on for free in May. The new application platform adds:
  • Multitasking for background processing, audio and file transfer, and fast app switching, including background audio playback for HTML5 webpages
  • Deep phone integration, allowing apps to leverage Live Tiles, including push notifications via Live Agents running in the background
  • Raw access to the camera and sensors (gyro and compass) via the Motion Sensor library, letting apps to control device hardware

(please visit the source link for more information)...

Source: Engadget
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Do you ever do more than post like a news bot anymore? It gets old.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Do you ever do more than post like a news bot anymore? It gets old.
how do you know that I am not a news bot?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
how do you know that I am not a news bot?
Well, you do post a lot of stupid crap in O/T
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:11 PM   #5
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

they are adding something that should have been there to begin with.... good for them

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

windows would slaughter the phone market if they just made MSoffice (the whole thing) for it's phones and made it exclusively for their phones/tablets. Now that would be useful.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
windows would slaughter the phone market if they just made MSoffice (the whole thing) for it's phones and made it exclusively for their phones/tablets. Now that would be useful.
There's comparable alternatives on iOS and Android with full Office compatibility anyways...
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:31 PM   #8
erek
Banned

Quote:
There's comparable alternatives on iOS and Android with full Office compatibility anyways...
is there something better than DocumentsToGo?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
is there something better than DocumentsToGo?
I haven't been able to use QuickOffice HD, not had a need to spend 14.99 on it yet, but supposedly it's pretty sick.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:49 PM   #10
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
yet millions still pirate ms office instead of using the free alternatives...

apple held back on nearly everything with the iphone release, ms say how it was done and copied i guess!

as soon as a decent gps app comes out and you can fiddle a little more i'm not sure if i'll be able to resist getting one
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadVéx View Post
yet millions still pirate ms office instead of using the free alternatives...

apple held back on nearly everything with the iphone release, ms say how it was done and copied i guess!

as soon as a decent gps app comes out and you can fiddle a little more i'm not sure if i'll be able to resist getting one
We're talking the smartphone market here, not the PC market.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:48 PM   #12
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

all the non msoffice office apps like documetns to go sacrifice alot fo features and really arent that great elysian, which is why i said if ms made a full featured fully functional phone version completely for their own phone/tablet os they'd crush the competition or at least get a lot more gains than making some stupid gamecenter/store thing
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
all the non msoffice office apps like documetns to go sacrifice alot fo features and really arent that great elysian, which is why i said if ms made a full featured fully functional phone version completely for their own phone/tablet os they'd crush the competition or at least get a lot more gains than making some stupid gamecenter/store thing
TBH how much actual editing are you going to do on a phone screen?

I can see the point of an office port for tablets, I just dont see how that's going to help windows phone 7 though.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:29 PM   #14
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

NM I am an idiot they already do that, maybe a windows phone will be my next phone, I could actually use that. why the hell don't they advertise the fact that MS office mobile is free on all their phones?

Last edited by t0adp1p3 : Apr 13, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

They do, it's just not the thing they emphasize most. Smartphone space is all about using it as a social mobile device these days, so that's what they're aiming for.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:38 PM   #16
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

I still enjoy being able to dual boot WinMo, and Android. If they'd let me run WinMo7 on my phone without that activation crap aftermarket style, I'd regularly boot into that too I'm sure.

Choices are good.

I think though, that really. Access to the hardware should have been there to begin with, not just for the "hacker" community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

MS is making a mistake targeting the social aspect of their phone. Leave that to Apple and Android. What they really need to do is target the business end of the line (we already know smartphones of a fun/social aspect to them). That would seal Blackberry's fate for good if they pulled it off. Right now MS is looking like a "me too" product. They need to use their business end to differentiate their product.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
MS is making a mistake targeting the social aspect of their phone. Leave that to Apple and Android. What they really need to do is target the business end of the line (we already know smartphones of a fun/social aspect to them). That would seal Blackberry's fate for good if they pulled it off. Right now MS is looking like a "me too" product. They need to use their business end to differentiate their product.
They already have pretty good business integration and it appears it's only going to get better.

The social aspect is important because most people do care about that and it also helps with the development of business apps that are social based (SalesForce chatter for example).
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote