Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 16, 2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
paju
Radeon R520

paju is still being judged by the masses

Default Wish for R400

I tested some time ago Hitachi's TFT monitor (CML174SWX)beside my Samsung CRT (959NF). The difference was huge in favour to TFT. Tried also a game: NOLF 2. No ghosting or any drawbacks - at least I couldn't see and that's enough for me to justify usage of TFT for everything.

Well, almost for everything. Non-native resolutions doesn't look good on TFT. I read from Tom's or somewhere else that there already was a GPU or TFT that does the scaling and does it pretty well. This is something ATi should implement to the R400 if not sooner via drivers. TFT sales are expanding at high speed but current GPUs are not capable of producing frames fast enough to fill 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 resolution. Therefor one must lower the resolution but the IQ drops quite much due to the TFT's poor scaling.

I bet there would be quite a lot more customers for ATi if R400 would do scaling in the HW and do it well. I don't think this would be that difficult to do.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 02:14 PM   #2
EnDlEsS
No one lives forever.

EnDlEsS is still being judged by the masses

Things I think ATi should add for R400 or RV400 (If they don't mind ):

1. Edge AA or FAA up to 32X
2. Surround gaming
3. On die vertex and texture cache (At least 1MB for each), cache like the L2 on P4 and athlon for faster performance. (I know, I know. this is not likely to happen tho.)
4. Even higher AF level if is possible
EnDlEsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 02:45 PM   #3
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Wish for R400

Quote:
Originally posted by paju
I read from Tom's or somewhere else that there already was a GPU or TFT that does the scaling and does it pretty well. This is something ATi should implement to the R400 if not sooner via drivers. TFT sales are expanding at high speed but current GPUs are not capable of producing frames fast enough to fill 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 resolution. Therefor one must lower the resolution but the IQ drops quite much due to the TFT's poor scaling.
I believe it's the Mobility Radeon 9000 that does the scaling you're speaking of.

An interesting idea, although I have no idea whether we'll see it implemented on desktop video cards any time soon.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 16, 2003, 03:06 PM   #4
madshi
Radeon R300

madshi is still being judged by the masses

The R300 is already fast enough to run most games at 1600x1200 smoothly. If the R400 is as fast as it is said to be (maybe twice as fast as R300), then scaling is simply not needed, because R400 can run any game in the natural resolution of your display.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 03:10 PM   #5
typedef enum
Radeon R520

typedef enum is still being judged by the masses

I really hope that somebody else would pickup Surround Gaming as well.

It's almost a sure thing that I will be getting an R350 board when they're released, and the hardest thing will definitely be giving up the Parhelia's SG option. I realize it's a rather niche thing, but it's really not very difficult to put together a piece of hardware to support it.
typedef enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 03:19 PM   #6
paju
Radeon R520

paju is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by madshi
The R300 is already fast enough to run most games at 1600x1200 smoothly. If the R400 is as fast as it is said to be (maybe twice as fast as R300), then scaling is simply not needed, because R400 can run any game in the natural resolution of your display.
Well, most games yes but never and upcoming one it won't (Doom III for instance). Also, all games do not support resolutions such as 1280x1024 (e.g. CS in ogl), which pretty much requires to have scaling either by TFT or preferably by the GPU.

Hanners: thanks for the info. I thought it was mobility chip but wasn't sure.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 12:56 AM   #7
josecisapi
Radeon R300

josecisapi is still being judged by the masses

Question

just a simple wish...

whatever is written in the white papers or in the box, should work.
At least give me a card that will work on all aspects as expected from day "0", that means after install, it should run without a glitch and not keep me waiting to have all the features that the box have.

Overall good work, but could be better.
josecisapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 06:02 AM   #8
demonic
Hallowed are the Ori

demonic is still being judged by the masses

Whats this GPU scaling all about??

I have a TFT which its optimal res is 1280x1024.. anything below that i.e 1024x768 or 800x600 looks blurry or junk.

Does this scaling make lower res look much better?

For example like 21" CRT's.. they can handle 640x480 all the way up to 2048x1536 (like mine) and the display very sharp and colours crisp.

Is this what the scaling does for TFT's??

Thanks

Its just that I want to go > 20"+ TFT in the future, and want nice 1024x768 for gaming.

Cheers
demonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 06:07 AM   #9
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Quote:
Originally posted by demonic
Whats this GPU scaling all about??

I have a TFT which its optimal res is 1280x1024.. anything below that i.e 1024x768 or 800x600 looks blurry or junk.

Does this scaling make lower res look much better?
Basically, yes.

Here's a full explanation from Anandtech's look at the Mobility Radeon 9000:

Quote:
New to the RV250's mobile core is an upgraded scaler. A scaler is a portion of the graphics chip which is dedicated to taking video and making it fit on the screen. When running an LCD panel at a resolution besides the native resolution of the panel, the scaler takes the image and stretches or shrinks it in order to make it display properly. ATI implemented a new scaler algorithm in the Mobility Radeon 9000 that produces sharper images at nonnative resolutions. Typically, notebook displays become fuzzy when running at a nonnative panel resolution. ATI's new scaler helps alleviate this problem and produces images much cleaner than before when scaling 1.5x or more. So, for example, the new scaler makes the image on UXGA (1600x1200) displays look much better than before when displaying at XGA resolutions (1024x768). This is mainly apparent when viewing text and does not really affect the visual quality of games all that much.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 07:48 AM   #10
demonic
Hallowed are the Ori

Wow, so whats the chances of the R400 having this nice feature... or a better one...
Old Feb 18, 2003, 07:51 AM   #11
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Quote:
Originally posted by demonic
Wow, so whats the chances of the R400 having this nice feature... or a better one...
Very slim I would imagine, I guess this kind of technology will be relegated to only being used in mobile products for the forseeable future.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 08:17 AM   #12
demonic
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
Very slim I would imagine, I guess this kind of technology will be relegated to only being used in mobile products for the forseeable future.
But why? surely CRT's are on the way out and TFT's are in
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:25 AM   #13
mbeeston
Darkness Mane

mbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete stranger

mind if i ask the driffernce?
"Intelligence has nothing to do with politics." - ambassador muwlari
" when somethings weird and it don't look good, who do you think it is? GHOST NAPPA"
mbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:26 AM   #14
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Quote:
Originally posted by mbeeston
mind if i ask the driffernce?
Between what and what?
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:05 AM   #15
mbeeston
Darkness Mane

mbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete stranger

between crt and tft... i'm tired And forgot
"Intelligence has nothing to do with politics." - ambassador muwlari
" when somethings weird and it don't look good, who do you think it is? GHOST NAPPA"
mbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:17 AM   #16
demonic
Hallowed are the Ori

Yeah a 21" CRT is heavy as hell and very wide. A 21" TFT is very slim, and very light!
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:56 AM   #17
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Hellbinder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I really hope that somebody else would pickup Surround Gaming as well.
The only problem with surround gaming is its Really impractical. Maybe 1 out of 1000 R300/R400 classes users would have the hardware(monitors) avaiable to use such a feature.

I think the better path for the R400 would be to finally add Stereo gaming to the mix. ATi should even make their own 3dglasses, or licence one of the others and offer them pac-in. Just like they do with the Remote wonder.

Another option would be for them to enable surround-Effect gaming from a single monitor. Say at 640X640 it would allow a single monitor to display 3 concurrent screens. Left-Middle-Right. Much like split-screen multiplayer on consoles like Xbox.
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 12:09 PM   #18
TobiasRieper
Radeon R420

TobiasRieper is still being judged by the masses

Speaking of which, why are most games not displayed in widescreen?
Or is there a way to force display WS format? Wouldn't this show more of the 'surround' aspect of the environment?
TobiasRieper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 02:44 PM   #19
bludragon
Radeon R420

bludragon is still being judged by the masses

The scaling built into my hitachi tft seems to be quite acceptable.
It has a sharpness adjustment, which is quite handy.
I would prefer the monitor to do the scaling as then I'm sure it's not impacting performance, and this is in fact the default setup on desktop TFT displays.
Non-native resolution on a tft cannot look as good as it does on a crt, unless it is an exact multiple of the no of pixels - as the displayed pixels must be blurred across several physical pixels on the tft, whereas on a crt the physical pixels change size to match the displayed pixel size.
Higher res tft's will help.
Finally, the blurring doesn't look at all bad in most games, and in some ways makes things look better because it smeers out the obvious aliasing at lower resolutions. I can't see any need to diplay text at a non native res.

sys specs:
WinXP SP1 DX9
Radeon 64DDR VIVO oem @ 195/195
palomino 1600+ @ 1600MHz core/133MHz fsb
chaintech 7KJD AMD760 based mobo.
onboard CMedia audio
bludragon is offline   Reply With Quote