Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 2, 2021, 04:20 PM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I guess hobby and all but lets not pretend it really makes a difference when you’re gaming.
Exactly the point I was making a couple pages ago. If he just likes playing with hardware and blowing money, that's fine...but pretending it's about gaming is a bit ridiculous.

My last CPU ran hotter than his did for 8 years with a pretty decent overclock. It's still working in my other PC. It'll be fine, KAC.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:36 PM   #302
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Reversed the fans and tried to do some tweaking with speeds (put the rad/top fans at 1100 RPM) and back fan at 1400. Temps are either not changed or worse.
CPU same as before around 71/72
GPU 3 C more from 68/69 to now 72
Chipset also getting a bit worse to about 70 C turning on the AUX4 fan which is chipset fan at 1900 RPM
RAM also slightly worse by 2 C

1-2 C I am not bothered about but seems consistently worse temps than having the top fans as exhaust

KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2021, 01:23 AM   #303
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Top mounted the rad again.
My logic is that CPU is rated for 90 C anyways and is running within spec. All other components are usually rated for much less. Also I don't like the idea of chipset fan whirring when playing games.

Airflow is not good or bad for the MLs. It is average. We are talking about 3-4 CFM and 3-4 db here. Not going to change the world. I am assuming having 6 of those ML/LL combo instead of 3 Noctua's may perform comparably or slightly better.

Last edited by KAC : Jan 3, 2021 at 06:29 AM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 3, 2021, 04:46 AM   #304
KAC

I literally give up now. I have no way to explain anymore wtf is going on with my computer.

This is after putting rad on top and again playing 30 minutes of Immortals Fenyx Rising. This computer has a complete mind of its own.

As you can see CPU is now running at 71 C. However, everything else has cooled down including RAM, GPU and all components. Also the Auxfan4 didn't turn on. I am actually doing nothing different except changing rad position plus playing Immortals Fenyx Rising in exact same area (area 2 for 30 minutes each time).

I am sticking with what I have now and calling it a day. It is ridiculous.

Old Jan 5, 2021, 07:06 AM   #305
KAC

New bios is out for the Tomahawk. Loading it now.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:44 AM   #306
KAC

Do you gays think it is better to do all core 4.7 Gs or PBO?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:20 PM   #307
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

pbo, left mine on pbo and its been fine
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:37 PM   #308
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

stop paying so much attention to the CPU temps pay more attention to the CPU boost clocks. CPU is going to boost as hard as it can given power and thermal limits if you are hitting max power limit and that hasnt changed guess what thermal load is going to be the same so your cooler dissipation isn't going to really change all that much you may get 1-2 C but in the grand scheme that is nothing.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:43 PM   #309
KAC

I put watts to 250 and amps to 160 each in bios. I don’t think it will be hitting any power limits. I think I forgot to put temp limit to 90 C after I loaded up the new bios. Do you think I should increase watts, amps or temps further?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:32 PM   #310
KAC

So as I said earlier this processor has a complete mind of its own. Today I played COD BOCW, Death Stranding and Greedfall for about 3 hours straight and processor never broke 74 C. As a matter of fact I saw how high it was boosting and it was hitting the usual Parkinson’s like behavior of shifting between 4.6-4.9 Gs and up and down like a crazy maniac. I also saw all component temps and everything was fine in 50s.

So now I have no clue. During this playtime I had one crash in COD but didn’t understand why as there were no logs for it. But then it all ran fine. I am still running the same setup.

PBO +200 MHz, 1.25 volts, 3733 DDR4, 1867 IF. Btw ambient temps are same as before at 24 C. A/C wasn’t on as well. Actually in most of gaming every time I alt tabbed it was in mid 60s. The alt tabbing might have crashed COD online (has happened before on my Intel as well).

This is one of the weirdest setups I have ever run. Btw EPIC still boosts idle temps from 38-40 C to 52 C when I run the damn thing. Someone needs to fix that crap.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:51 PM   #311
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So as I said earlier this processor has a complete mind of its own.....
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...iquid-nitrogen

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2021, 08:48 AM   #312
KAC

I said I would give up but it was a lie.

I think I finally dialed in my Ryzen. Got the best cores dialed in. Got the volts dialed in and the temps dialed in. Only thing left is some memory fixes here and there but the results are decent thus far.

Got my CBR20 up from average of 8400 -> 8600. Also saw 1 8700 run (maybe due to cold boot).
Got my Geekbench from 1500/14K to 1605/14.3K. https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5791246
Got my CPUZ from 600/9200 -> 672/9594. https://valid.x86.fr/p4d4sm
Got my Timespy up from 17.87K -> 17.909K https://www.3dmark.com/spy/17236849.

Pretty sure I can squeeze some more juice out of this puppy. Still some memory tuning left to do. Whopdifukingdo.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 09:29 AM   #313
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

all of that and you'll see 0.1fps difference in games.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2021, 09:33 AM   #314
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
all of that and you'll see 0.1fps difference in games.
0.1 is an overstatement .
Old Jan 11, 2021, 01:22 PM   #315
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Old Jan 11, 2021, 01:44 PM   #316
KAC

Time to start thinking about my Intel build.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 01:56 PM   #317
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
LOL!

yoz
Old Jan 11, 2021, 07:27 PM   #318
SuperGeil
Radeon R300

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Intel CPU's are already better at Metro. A lot people are calling Intel out on this because that is practically a nothing jump over Comet Lake.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2021, 09:24 PM   #319
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Another 2 frames will be totally worth it!

I’m sure AMD will have an answer for that turd.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:56 AM   #320
KAC

So been trying to play around a bit more with the Ryzen build.

I finally got the Ryzen master to work without reboots. The way to do it was to install it and then change to manual OC and then forget about it. If you keep on changing between default, auto OC and manual OC it will go into a spiral where it will request a reboot for all new settings that it wants to apply.

Given this I tested some manual OC on this CPU. It is not a great CPU but I did try some new stuff whilst keeping IF at 1867 and DDR4 at 3733 as anything higher has not worked for me thus far.

I got the CPU stable up to 4.7 Gs all core w/ 1.375 volts. This resulted in a 9100 CBR20 score. At 4.625 Gs all core I could go as low as 1.3 volts and this resulted in a 8900 CBR20 score.

Similarly on Timespy CPU test I was able to push the CPU score to about 14842 which is the highest I have seen.

Another thing I learnt is that CPU HWMonitor does not report voltages and temps correctly. I tried a few things and could see that even when I set the voltage to 1.25 in the bios CPU HWMonitor showed it as always at 1.25 w/ some minor changes but Ryzen Master was reporting it bouncing between 0.3-1.35 volts still when running benches. So basically the override mode does not work on this CPU OR just turning on Ryzen Master is overriding the information about volts and letting it run defaults. However, I believe it is the first case that Override mode in bios is bugged. On temps CPU HWMonitor had delta temps of 1 C - 5 C higher than what Ryzen Master was reporting at a point in time. Same for volts.

Armed with this knowledge I have gone back to AMD Overclocking and enabled Curve Optimizer yet again with override mode of -100 mV. This keeps my CPU under 80 C for heavy loads. Not sure if this helps someone but I am dumping the HWMonitor program completely for this build. Btw HWInfo also suffers similar problems. If you really want to monitor temps and volts the only place is Ryzen Master out of the 3 programs. I also managed to improve some of my secondary memory timings and brought down my latency from 64 ns to 61.7 ns.

I will mess around w/ some additional voltage (maybe 1.4 volts) and see if I can get 4.75 Gs out of this puppy.

Last edited by KAC : Jan 12, 2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 06:40 AM   #321
KAC

I also figured out why my 5900X wasn’t clocking higher.

Old Jan 12, 2021, 07:31 AM   #322
acroig
Master Troll

Finally!!!

yoz
Old Jan 12, 2021, 07:37 AM   #323
KAC

I feel like a little girl. I am going to fix the colors later but I found it hilarious to have these cables installed in my rig. My little kid was excited .
Old Jan 12, 2021, 07:52 AM   #324
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Old Jan 12, 2021, 08:17 AM   #325
KAC

Btw these gay cables are sponsored by demo and came all the way from kangaroo land.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 08:29 AM   #326
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Btw these gay cables are sponsored by demo and came all the way from kangaroo land.
I repped him for you.

yoz
Old Jan 12, 2021, 08:32 AM   #327
KAC

. I can’t rep him anymore because I already blew my load on him prior.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 07:45 AM   #328
KAC

Been squeezing this putter and getting a balance of high SC and MC loads.
CBR20 hit 8600 MC and 625 SC
Real Bench hit 331,684
Geekbench hit 1705 SC and 14967 MC https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5883612
CPU-Z bench also jumped to 671/9742 https://valid.x86.fr/vlxpnx

These RGB cables really helped. In game FPS jumped 0.1 FPS.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 09:17 AM   #329
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
These RGB cables really helped. In game FPS jumped 0.1 FPS.
Don't need 3090 now.

yoz
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:12 AM   #330
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

First gen RGB power cables Free is better then $100 though!

[mp4]https://i.imgur.com/YHdjGy9.mp4[/mp4]

Last edited by Nascar24 : Jan 15, 2021 at 12:59 PM.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote