Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Dec 14, 2001, 10:13 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Scorpiuscat

Scorpiuscat is still being judged by the masses

Default Stuttering issue ever get resolved?

I am experiancing stuttering in both Star Trek:Armada II and Star Wars:Galactic Battlegrounds

I have searched thru the forums on this issue, but I never saw an absolute fix....only minor things to try....which I did with no results.

Are there any fixes for this?
Old Dec 15, 2001, 05:13 AM   #2
Firebreather
The ultimate poster

Location: United Kingdom In my bedroom- where?, well somewhere in the UK.
Firebreather is still being judged by the masses

Go to your bios, and disable the option to assign an irq for agp, then save the settings, and stuttering should be gone. (it worked for me )
ABIT AV8 MOBO (VIA K8T800 PRO)
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL WITH SP2
512K ADSL
DVD + CD-REWRITER (52x16x52)
120GB MAXTOR HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUEPOWER 430W PSU
Crucial 1024MB DDR RAM PC3200
Old Dec 15, 2001, 06:08 AM   #3
ZC_2000

ZC_2000 is still being judged by the masses

Question

Disabling IRQ ? NO !

In Armada2 you have got to open the RTS_CFG.h and search for this here:
// When should we flush buffers (degrading performance) to work around driver bugs?
// 0 = when we auto-detect bad drivers
// 1 = always
// 2 = never
int cfgST3D_ALWAYS_FLUSH_D3D_BUFFERS = 1;

You must change the 1 (always) to 2 (never) and should work.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 15, 2001, 08:18 AM   #4
euan
Radeon Arctic Islands

euan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by sreekar
Go to your bios, and disable the option to assign an irq for agp, then save the settings, and stuttering should be gone. (it worked for me )
It does work! My latest beta bios gave me this option, a very nice stoke of luck... Co-incidenly it doesn't actually disable the IRQ, it just lets Windows ACPI pick the IRQ rather than it being selected by the bios. As windows' drivers create additional IRQ reuirments other than the basic PCI IRQ's detected by the Bios, the Windows routing seems to be more efficient.
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music...." -- - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation, Inc, 1989
Old Dec 15, 2001, 09:46 AM   #5
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer is still being judged by the masses

Cool Then..?

If it's not actually disabling the 'assign IRQ to VGA' and is merely passing the chore along to windows which makes the system smoother, would it not be better to set "Plug and Play OS installed" to "yes" and let windows configure the rest of it too? I've always heard this was a big "no-no" from a lot of places, including microsoft, for 98se; but it seemed to help my performance on my XP box.

Any thoughts?

BTW-Newer motherboards don't have the option to disable irq/vga, it's automatically assumed. So if you don't have the option, you don't have the option.
Old Dec 15, 2001, 09:02 PM   #6
friskyolive
Looking down on you!

friskyolive is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Then..?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
If it's not actually disabling the 'assign IRQ to VGA' and is merely passing the chore along to windows which makes the system smoother, would it not be better to set "Plug and Play OS installed" to "yes" and let windows configure the rest of it too? I've always heard this was a big "no-no" from a lot of places, including microsoft, for 98se; but it seemed to help my performance on my XP box.

Any thoughts?

BTW-Newer motherboards don't have the option to disable irq/vga, it's automatically assumed. So if you don't have the option, you don't have the option.
using assigned irq's creates no conflicts to pci slots as long as the cards are in thier respective places. If you want to disable pnp then you should know which irqs can be shared effectivly without corruption. I would definately allow windows to assign irq's if you have more than 3 pci cards..

[CPU]: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM [MOBO]: ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard[GPU]: Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 In Crossfire [SOUND]: Corsair Gaming Audio Series CA-HS1A Headset 50MM Drivers Circumaural Earcups and the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM Fatality PRO with Yamaha 5590 Receiver[MEMORY]: OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV4GK) DDR3 1600MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [MONITOR]: DELL U2410, 24W, OPT/FPWS,CUS [HD]: Western Digital 320GB and 1 TB Black Edition [Optical Drives]: LG GSA-4167B Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive [PSU]: Corsair HX 1000 watt [OS]: Win7 64-bit Professional On a Antec 1200 Full Tower Case.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 06:14 AM   #7
2B-Maverick
Radeon R520

2B-Maverick is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Wow- i consider(ed) myself quite knowledgeable - but this IRQ-to-VGA thing totally escaped my knowledge up to now.

Until 1 hour ago i had: stuttering in High-Poly-Count Benchmark (3DMark2001), Fillrate Bench, Nature, and so on...
Things got better when i disabled MBM 5.x and quitted TaskManager - which i had running in the background for the last few months without problems.
But nothing really solved the probs.

Until i disabled the assign IRQ-to-VGA.
Now everything is smooth as hell. No hickups in 3DMarks Benches anywhere - even with all the proggis in the Background running.
I expect this to carry on into my games as well.

THX FOLKS.

Put this on the FRONT PAGE!!!!

edit: i am using WinXP

CU
Mav
Old Dec 16, 2001, 09:20 AM   #8
^b0rG^
Radeon R420

^b0rG^ is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, can't seem to find this setting in my bios (Asus A7V133). Anyone know where it is?
Phillips 24x12x40 cdrw
Toshiba 16x DVD
Retail Radeon 8500
Packard Bell 2160 15" (other monitor died)
Windows XP Pro with SP1
Old Dec 16, 2001, 09:40 AM   #9
2B-Maverick
Radeon R520

On my MSI board i can find it under "PCI/PNP Configuration"
Old Dec 16, 2001, 09:55 AM   #10
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer is still being judged by the masses

Default The downside is..

..the option isn't on most newer boards. It's assumed by default. You might want to see if you have ACPI enabled and enable "Plug and Play OS installed". I know that's a big no-no, but it might end up doing the same thing on newer boards.

This fix seems to be a hit-or-miss fix, it'll either work great for you or not. (I'm real sorry to say it won't work for everybody.)

Just on a sidenote, I disabled the 'Assign IRQ to USB' and got rid of the jagginess in my USB intellimouse that occured whenever my modem dialed-up the net.

Now if I could just get some new 98se drivers to play with...
Old Dec 16, 2001, 11:12 AM   #11
Rancho*
Radeon R300

Rancho* is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy And Did You Notice That Doing So Decreases Overall Performance?

Well I tried disabling IRQ to VGA and that made me loose 300 points in 3DMark 2001. I don't think that this is the final solution to the problem. Let's see and wait what comes from ATI/Novalogic regarding this issue. I read somewhere else in this forum that ATI sent some Information to Novalogic or the other way round.

I'll wait...
22" LG L227WT Monitor | Vista Home Premium x64 SP1
Old Dec 16, 2001, 11:52 AM   #12
2B-Maverick
Radeon R520

well... jepp... i lost 100 points in 3DMark2001, but this was the FIRST TIME that benchmark did not stutter - alas display everything as it should. 6890 points - not too bad for a KT133A system with WinXP.
I would guess that stuttering could up your framerate somehow, because the grafix-cards does not display everything as it should.
Better no stuttering and smooth gameplay than the other way around (WHICH other way???)

CU
Mav
Old Dec 18, 2001, 11:10 AM   #13
e3art
Radeon R200

e3art is still being judged by the masses

bump