Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 22, 2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Default Upgrade time

I think I am ready to make the upgrade jump and this summer seems to be about the time with new games hitting in September(cyberpunk etc )

I am still on my 5820k and while it has served me well I think it will come up short in newer games.

Whats the general consensus these days for upgrading? AMD is better price/performance and Intel is still top dog? Ive read quite a few things around the internet and here and its looking like Intel is top but CPUs are running hot as the sun.

At this point in my life Im looking for a CPU that will be good out of the box and Im not willing to put the extra effort in to overclock to get X% of performance. Should I wait for AMDs offering or just make the jump now? I dont need to purchase as soon as possible and waiting til August is a non issue for me as theres nothing to play between now and then.

I will probably need just about everything minus a power supply.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 11:38 AM   #2
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

AMD is the best for overall productivity. Intel is the best for bleeding edge gaming performance. Though you'll likely not notice a difference at all between the two, especially if you game at high resolutions.

I wouldn't even be remotely concerned about heat from the Intel CPU's during game, especially at your resolution. It won't get hot because it won't be working very hard in the first place at 3440x1440. I game at 4k, so you might get slightly warmer than I do. I see typically 44-120W usage and 45-55C in games with a 10yr old H100i. It's not the cooler being crazy efficient dumping tons of heat into the room, it's the CPU quite frankly isn't working very hard. Again, you may see slightly higher than that. But my temp results matched my 3570k at 4.6Ghz. So, it's irrelevant.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:41 AM   #3
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Wait till Ryzen 4000 I would say.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2020, 12:26 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Wait till Ryzen 4000 I would say.
this

coming this September

AMD both CPU's and GPU's

NV just GPU's
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 11:24 PM   #5
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

If all goes well and I have my job security I may also rebuild.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 09:58 PM   #6
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Looks like waiting is the way to go for now.

Old May 23, 2020, 10:44 PM   #7
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I've been waiting for a LONG time for a chip that's interesting.

I *may* buy a B550 AM4 mobo next month with a cheepo R3k and then upgrade to R4k next fall. That being said, in intel leaks their 11k chip performance I may just wait until next fall.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 03:38 AM   #8
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Wait for zen 3. Whilst that happens, you’ll be killing two birds with one stone in the GPU front too as those are ETA September.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
I've been waiting for a LONG time for a chip that's interesting.

I *may* buy a B550 AM4 mobo next month with a cheepo R3k and then upgrade to R4k next fall. That being said, in intel leaks their 11k chip performance I may just wait until next fall.
Wait for Intel All they are putting out now is trash!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 12:11 PM   #10
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

You have the consensus right. Intel still has the fastest pure gaming processors, while AMD's are more well rounded for gaming and productivity and also better priced.

I just did a CPU/RAM/motherboard upgrade myself and honestly if I wasn't still on such an old platform (Sandy Bridge 2600K) I would have continued waiting for Ryzen 4000 series (Zen 3). Also I was bored and just wanted to do it now. So yeah, I also suggest just wait until the new AMD launches in the Fall.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 12:23 PM   #11
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Wait for Intel All they are putting out now is trash!
but it is ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020, 12:24 PM   #12
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

No one here should upgrade till September at the earliest.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 12:04 PM   #13
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Hold, or if the upgrade itch is just to much.... go the AMD route. Buy an nice MoBo & Ram and go with a one of the bang for the buck CPU's(Like the Ryzen 3300X or Ryzen 5 1600AF). You can jump to Ryzen 4000 series stuff later if you crave it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 12:22 PM   #14
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

So AMD CPUs are a better bang-for-buck than Intel these days? Times have changed. I haven't considered getting an AMD setup in a long time. I'll never get an AMD GPU again, but I'll definitely consider their CPUs when I upgrade next year. Still have an i7 7700K that's chugging along so I'm in no rush.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 02:44 PM   #15
logical
What is my purpose?

Are there any current good matx boards out there? My current case is matx and Id like to keep it if possible?

What prices are we looking at for AMDs next generation chips(mobo+chip+ram+) ?

Old May 25, 2020, 02:46 PM   #16
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
So AMD CPUs are a better bang-for-buck than Intel these days? Times have changed. I haven't considered getting an AMD setup in a long time. I'll never get an AMD GPU again, but I'll definitely consider their CPUs when I upgrade next year. Still have an i7 7700K that's chugging along so I'm in no rush.

Yup! The tides have been shifting ever since AMD decided to start actually trying to produce the fastest stuff they can. Now where going into a price war as AMD is an extremely competitive option.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020, 11:07 AM   #17
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I would say yes. The new 3000 series refresh might just take the gaming crown from Intel and prices are much better.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote