Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:08 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think I've gotten misunderstood , im talking about the next gen Intel cpu.

My next gpu will be high end nvidia 3800 or whatever is next.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:25 AM   #62
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I was talking about CPU. I’d assume they release something mid next year since the 9900K came out end of 2018. Now that there’s competition, i think we’ll see Intel push things harder than they have before
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:15 AM   #63
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

5ghz all core clock is coming. Aside from that you'll be waiting for the 10nm CPUs coming next year. Unless they do yet another refresh before then, but I don't see the point in that. I don't think there's much left after a 5ghz 8 core cpu.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:40 PM   #64
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
5ghz all core clock is coming. Aside from that you'll be waiting for the 10nm CPUs coming next year. Unless they do yet another refresh before then, but I don't see the point in that. I don't think there's much left after a 5ghz 8 core cpu.
Intel already has a 5GHz all 8core CPU. Its called the 9900KF.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:46 PM   #65
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Nah, the KF is a 9900 without the gpu, the KS is the unreleased 5ghz all core SKU.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 01:36 PM   #66
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Though isn't it fairly easy to get a 9900k at 5GHz with a decent cooler anyway?

Thought it was beyond that when you start increasing voltages when the heat turns into a nuclear reactor.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Aug 4, 2019, 02:13 PM   #67
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I was talking about CPU. I’d assume they release something mid next year since the 9900K came out end of 2018. Now that there’s competition, i think we’ll see Intel push things harder than they have before
Yeah, it's the right move to do "really" only a few games I have issues with my CPU (usually open world heavy streaming all cores maxed out). However I think I'll wait till next year and get the whole lot and GPU in one go. I just get that damn upgrade itch especially since I've neglected my PC for so long.

Old Aug 4, 2019, 03:23 PM   #68
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I went from a 4770k to a 9900k. I think that it was a good upgrade. I noticed a big difference. At least, enough to justify the upgrade. Well, at least for me.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:04 PM   #69
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Though isn't it fairly easy to get a 9900k at 5GHz with a decent cooler anyway?

Thought it was beyond that when you start increasing voltages when the heat turns into a nuclear reactor.
Yes. I'm running my 9900K @ 1.19v under load 5Ghz all-core and Cache @ 4.7Ghz, and it runs cool with no issues. I think every chip can do 5Ghz all-core especially if you're running an AIO.

Quote:
Yeah, it's the right move to do "really" only a few games I have issues with my CPU (usually open world heavy streaming all cores maxed out). However I think I'll wait till next year and get the whole lot and GPU in one go. I just get that damn upgrade itch especially since I've neglected my PC for so long.
I had a 6700K @ 4.7Ghz and it was well worth the upgrade as my 2080TI was being choked by the 4core/8thread. Not anymore!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Aug 6, 2019, 08:55 AM   #70
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think my 4770k was a choke point for my 1080ti sli setup too. I've noticed improvements on all my games. Plus they all run smoother. Not so many bottom end stuttering.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:53 PM   #71
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I think my 4770k was a choke point for my 1080ti sli setup too. I've noticed improvements on all my games. Plus they all run smoother. Not so many bottom end stuttering.
It's a choke point in general in Ubisoft games my 4770K at 4.3GHz stutters and fails to load assets quick enough, with all cores at 100%.

I have 5.5TB of SSD space which is pretty much purely used for gaming so it's certainly not those .

Old Aug 16, 2019, 02:15 PM   #72
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Well I tried, lasted a month. (was hmmm'ing and arrrr'ing for a while)

Bought a 9900kf (was 30 euro cheaper).

Let's see if I notice any difference.

Was 55 Euro cheaper than a 3900x, and while it does have more cores I'm really only interested in gaming power, especially when I replace my GPU later.

Old Aug 16, 2019, 02:42 PM   #73
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

Was 55 Euro cheaper than a 3900x, and while it does have more cores I'm really only interested in gaming power, especially when I replace my GPU later.
Congrats and pics when you build it!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2019, 06:58 PM   #74
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

Don't forget to update your specs.

And Congratz!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:12 PM   #75
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Maybe should’ve waited for a 9900KS? That’s what I am doing.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:01 AM   #76
Taman Linkin
Rage3D Veteran

Taman Linkin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

nice. that should be a huugee upgrade
Old Aug 17, 2019, 03:16 AM   #77
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Congrats and pics when you build it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Don't forget to update your specs.

And Congratz!
Thanks, I will. Hopefully Wednesday will arrive latest if DHL is reliable. (it's not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taman Linkin View Post
nice. that should be a huugee upgrade
I'm hoping so, tired of the stuttering in games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Maybe should’ve waited for a 9900KS? That’s what I am doing.
I should have waited many times with many things . I imagine the KS will be more expensive and basically just be a preoverclocked 9900k with no
other changes. Of course I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting that much difference.

I'm hoping my Gigabyte Auros Master doesn't suck. Usually use ASUS, but the Gigabyte was on offer for 50 less.

Old Aug 17, 2019, 06:44 AM   #78
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I don't think there are any bad gigabyte z390 boards, I seem to remember reading about how they went overkill on the vrm on most of their boards.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 08:12 AM   #79
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I don't think there are any bad gigabyte z390 boards, I seem to remember reading about how they went overkill on the vrm on most of their boards.
Z390 tier list

Z370 tier list
Old Aug 17, 2019, 09:12 AM   #80
Mangler
PC

Maybe it would have been more accurate to say that I had remembered reading somewhere that basically all of their z390 aurus boards are good.

As I did not really take the low end crap into consideration.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:30 AM   #81
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeh they have a good line up.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 02:28 PM   #82
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Damn site only sent the CPU, Mobo not yet sent imagine soon, but the ram and cooler which they said "was in stock" apparently will be in 3-7 days. Website still says in stock so that's annoying.

Oh well, I've survived years with this board I can survive a week. Just miffed because I'm off work this week would have been nice to build it and not have to rush for time.

Old Aug 20, 2019, 04:37 AM   #83
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Damn site only sent the CPU, Mobo not yet sent imagine soon, but the ram and cooler which they said "was in stock" apparently will be in 3-7 days. Website still says in stock so that's annoying.

Oh well, I've survived years with this board I can survive a week. Just miffed because I'm off work this week would have been nice to build it and not have to rush for time.
Lots of sites are doing the in stock but not shipping for a week or two nonsense now. Caught it on Amazon seldom in the past but most of the hardware on Newegg and Amazon is that way now.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2019, 05:25 AM   #84
demo
space cadet

Yeh this just happened to me. Bought a water block as 'in stock', only to log in today to see it won't be arriving until the 26th..
Old Aug 22, 2019, 09:04 AM   #85
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Stuff arrived, set things to how I like them in the bios (will try overclocking later today). PC is sooooooooo much snappier now, and gone are the crappy stutters in my games.

As you can see for the most part latency has improved on both CPU and GPU, and average frames are higher now.

What's the best stress test? Usually I use intel extreme tuning, and as for temp monitor I've no idea. Speedfan seems to work but I'm not sure it's accurate as temps are not that high in load or as high as I would expect.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 09:24 AM   #86
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

followed the gigabyte overclocking guide, and set everything to 5GHz using 1.35voltage at the moment. (however it seems to fluctuate)

Only a 5min stress test so not entirely reliable but I will see how high I can push, and then do a much longer stress test.

I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as I am also using a silent cooler H115i pro RGB so I wanted the best (non metal) compound to make up for the lower airflow of these silent fans.

Comparison to the non overclocked benchmark, not much difference but CPU latency has improved a little bit.

Also want to tweak my ram timings but will have to look into that. Also has Nvidia released 3080ti yet?

edit: ok downloaded CoreTemp and realbench. Time to tweak until I get good performance/temps.

Last edited by SirBaron : Aug 22, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:04 AM   #87
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

OK so with avx temps are nuts so im using 5ghz -2 avx imagine I could do higher non avx but eh we'll see. Temps are fluctuate a lot but on average they hit around 85'c full avx load. Non avx a lot lower.

St the moment doing ram tweaking my gigabyte 3200mhz 16 18 18 18 38 is at 14 16 16 16 36 at 1.45 voltage, however I'm still stress testing that so haven't finished tightening yet.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:10 AM   #88
Nunz
RIP Roxen

If you’re only running 5Ghz allcore, turn the voltage down. I’m running 5Ghz @ 1.19v under load (1.265v in BIOS) with LLC 6. When you get into the 1.3v under load range, that’s when the chip struggles with heat.

Leave RAM alone until you get the core down where it should be. 5Ghz with a -1 offset should be good to go.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 02:15 PM   #89
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

5GHZ all cores 0 offset = 79'c on all cores except 2 cores which was at 82'c and 84'c full load with AVX in RealBench.

Intel extreme aka normal stress test's without the AVX instruction 65'c max but usually hovers around 58-63'c.

This is at LCC at Turbo and 1.275 volts in the Bios. I tried 1.2v but would insta crash.

Testing 1.260 now, will see the lowest it can go.

Last edited by SirBaron : Aug 22, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 02:41 PM   #90
Nunz
RIP Roxen

What voltage is that giving you under load? What’s set in the BIOS is irrelevant as what you get under load changes depending on LLC.