Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Dec 5, 2014, 05:36 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Default AMD unveils major GPU driver update, Catalyst Omega

LUPEDIT: Drivers Released / threads merged:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4LYFE View Post
Release Date: 12/9/2014

Description:
This driver is not intended for use on AMD products running in Apple Bootcamp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their manufacturer for driver support.

Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes for the 64 bit version of Windows 7:

Display Driver ver. 14.501.1003
OpenCL(tm) Driver
Catalyst Control Center
HydraVision
Languages:
Czech, Danish, German, Greek, US English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified).

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...Windows+7+-+64

AMD Catalyst™ Omega Windows® Release Notes:
/LUPEDIT

--

Quote:
AMD has announced a major overhaul of their Catalyst graphics card driver software today, adding new features, improving performance and fixing a large number of bugs. The 'special edition' driver, which is the result of months of work, is one of the biggest AMD has released.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...yst-omega.html

The orginal artical was taken down.. probably published too early. Got this from google cache

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 06:47 AM   #2
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

So they fixed a bunch of old titles? What about newer releases?
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There was an article on Techspot about it, apparently they're adding downsampling in the driver, but just for the 290 series and 285, because 280x owners haven't been ****ed with enough.

This driver is also supposed to boost performance in Unity as well.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 5, 2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I don't understand why they would not include the 7970/280 in the list of cards that supports VSR.

Did they say if it was just for this driver release or not?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 07:12 AM   #5
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Great news that both camps now have downsampling/FSSAA solutions. Long overdue feature if you ask me.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 07:21 AM   #6
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
There was an article on Techspot about it.
Yeah its that article I linked too from google cache

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I don't understand why they would not include the 7970/280 in the list of cards that supports VSR.

All it says is this:
(check out the bottom left corner of the image)

Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I wonder if this new driver allows the unlocking of the pixel clock?

Jaillum Malord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 09:01 AM   #9
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss is still being judged by the masses

*Edit*
Ok after looking over the slides just no VSR support for the older GCN thats cool I can wait for that. Phoronix reported am improved Cat was coming back in Sept seems like this is it.
I was just informed on the FAH board that as of the 14.9 Cat you were able to fold under Linux natively with your AMD Gpu's. You'd think there would have been an announcement somewhere at FAH.. Not really AMD's responsibility
to put it in the release notes. :P

Last edited by DarkFoss : Dec 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
DarkFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 09:32 AM   #10
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Not really clear on the differences between "VSR" and super sampling, since super sampling renders at a higher resolution internally which is "down sampled" (these new buzzwords are amusing) to the display resolution.

In fact, look at the third tick on the last AMD slide" "Simulates SSAA for those games that don't support it"...That pretty much says it all, imo.

I'm trying to recall what games I have that *don't* already support SSAA enabled in the CCC...maybe a couple...just can't recall. I really dislike it when nVidia PR does something and AMD PR comes in right behind them and does the same thing--I won't *buy* nVidia because I loathe the often-silly PR crap the company constantly spews...so of course I really don't like it when AMD hops on-board the copy train.

Maybe what's "new" is that with VSR the end user can pick the internally rendered resolution just like he does with the rendered resolution.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltC View Post
Not really clear on the differences between "VSR" and super sampling, since super sampling renders at a higher resolution internally which is "down sampled" (these new buzzwords are amusing) to the display resolution.

In fact, look at the third tick on the last AMD slide" "Simulates SSAA for those games that don't support it"...That pretty much says it all, imo.

I'm trying to recall what games I have that *don't* already support SSAA enabled in the CCC...maybe a couple...just can't recall. I really dislike it when nVidia PR does something and AMD PR comes in right behind them and does the same thing--I won't *buy* nVidia because I loathe the often-silly PR crap the company constantly spews...so of course I really don't like it when AMD hops on-board the copy train.

Maybe what's "new" is that with VSR the end user can pick the internally rendered resolution just like he does with the rendered resolution.
There are a ton of games that don't support driver level forced SSAA.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 09:44 AM   #12
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
There are a ton of games that don't support driver level forced SSAA.
I'll take your word for it!...just can't recall any of mine that don't and I have quite a few games installed...(about 40, at last count...)...No biggie...

Wanted to add...I do also know that there are not a small number of older games that resist rendering at high-very high resolutions without artifacts of some kind...so I'm wondering how such a driver feature works in those cases...interesting...plus I would imagine that shooting for internal resolutions that are very high might result in unplayable frame rates...etc. This should be very interesting!

Last edited by WaltC : Dec 5, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:17 AM   #13
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...59&postcount=8

looks like next week and they will be up
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:05 PM   #14
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

now if they can do freesync without the flickering nv is getting
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editori...lay-Flickering

and freesync works with vsr and cfx at the same time it would be a win
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:55 PM   #15
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Good to see they are working on cats and fixing long standing issues. Mantle recording looks cool. Be interested to see how well it works. I don't really play any old games, so the VSR stuff isn't that big for me.

Last edited by t0adp1p3 : Dec 5, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 03:29 PM   #16
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
Good to see they are working on cats and fixing long standing issues. Mantle recording looks cool. Be interested to see how well it works. I don't really play any old games, so the VSR stuff isn't that big for me.
Quote:
Catalyst Omega also brings support for TressFX Hair 3.0, OpenCL 2.0 and Mantle game capture, streaming and FPS measurement through the Gaming Evolved client.
it will be nice to have a mantle OSD fps (I hope that is what they mean anyway ) now if they would add gpu usage and temps OCD with mantle
Old Dec 5, 2014, 03:36 PM   #17
twiSt
beginner

twiSt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytwiSt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytwiSt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
14.9 Install issues for intermittent crash or black screen after install
14.9 Catalyst™ Control Center issues have occasional AMDMantle64.dll error popups during install
Online video can sometimes crash when watching Youtube videos with hardware acceleration enabled
Watching online flash videos in Google Chrome sometimes causes the browser to hang when hardware acceleration is enabled
Displays that go in to sleep mode intermittently causes the display to not wake up

AHCI Chipset Drivers can sometimes cause the system to crash on bootup
144Hz displays in AMD CrossFire™ configurations can cause intermittent crashing when launching D3D Applications
Game stuttering or screen tearing in Quad CrossFire™
State of Decay textures can intermittently extrude beyond their boundaries or be corrupted
HDMI audio stays disabled when a connected TV is disabled and then reenabled
VERY welcomed list of fixes.

EDIT
Here is the complete list:
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...omega_driver/1

Anybody grabbed them?

Last edited by twiSt : Dec 5, 2014 at 03:48 PM.
twiSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 04:12 PM   #18
flopper
Radeon R700

flopper is still being judged by the masses

5k eyefinity might be sumtin
Old Dec 5, 2014, 04:23 PM   #19
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

This took a lot of work guys but I did my best
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 04:47 PM   #20
joe3000
Radeon R300

joe3000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

This doesn't look like AMD!
joe3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 05:12 PM   #21
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

so no boosts for 7xxx cards?
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2014, 05:15 PM   #22
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

at this stage you could probably find someone to buy your 7xx series card and make enough money to buy a used 290 or 290x. The prices on used ones tanked.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 05:29 PM   #23
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
so no boosts for 7xxx cards?
nv only did dsr with the 900's at first it was two to four drivers before older cards got it
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:16 PM   #24
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

So stoked for this.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:03 AM   #25
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
So stoked for this.
I am just hoping they fixed the DX9 issues I have in crossfire. I doubt it, but I can hope.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:45 AM   #26
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
I am just hoping they fixed the DX9 issues I have in crossfire. I doubt it, but I can hope.
was trying to play fallout 3 & NV and I had to go back to windows 7 and still have problems with sli
I don't have a windows 7 boot drive for my cfx system so can't test it

but windows 8.1 was just constant lockups with both sli and cfx on or off with FO3 but NV was a little better
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:07 PM   #27
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Toad, what dx9 games are you having a prob with? Ive played a few in the last 4-5mths and cant recall any glaring issues.
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2014, 01:01 PM   #28
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pretty much everyone of them will exhibit some artifacting then the driver will crash so hard it has to be reinstalled. It's weird.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 01:13 PM   #29
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Can't you turn off xfire for when you play those particular games? I know it's a hassle but it could work I guess right? I don't know much about dual setups, never had one myself.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 02:55 PM   #30
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Yeah that's what I do, just hoping they fixed it. Interested to see if streaming with mantle will work and glad they are adding features