Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Valve and AMD team up to offer Catalyst updates through Steam

Apologies if this news has already been posted somewhere else, but I didn't see anything.

http://blogs.amd.com/press/2010/09/1...ates-on-steam/

SUNNYVALE, Calif. — Sept. 15, 2010 — AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced its collaboration with Valve todeliver ATI Catalyst™ graphics driver updates via its Steam platform, a leading platform for PC games and digitalentertainment. Steam users can now detect and install the latest ATI Catalyst driver for their ATI Radeon™ graphics card directly from within Steam.

”Valve is extremely pleased to be working with AMD to provide automatic driver updates for AMD’s leading edge products on Steam,” said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. “PC gamers demand the most of their gaming hardware and providing these updates automatically will help ensure those playing via Steam are playing at optimal performance.”

This is very cool. I've often made the complaint that I can't believe that it's 2010, and that for the most part we still have to keep an eye on the news, seek out and manually install driver updates same way we did over 10 years ago.

Proper, pro-active automatic driver updating for video cards has been too long in the making and I'm glad a company is finally trying to make some progress to that end.

I'm just hoping that Valve didn't sign some exclusive agreement with AMD, and that they'll offer a similar system for nVidia drivers as well - because ultimately, having end users on properly updated drivers is as much benefit to developers as it is to the end users.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:36 PM   #2
EfrainMan
Radeon R520

EfrainMan is still being judged by the masses

Nothing changes for the 3 or 4 gamers out there that don't use Steam
EfrainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
void4ever
Radeon R700

void4ever is still being judged by the masses

It'd better only be automatic if i set it that way. I don't appreciate anything or anyone installing stuff to my system whenever they feel like it.

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
void4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:49 PM   #4
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

You don't have to use them, they are not forced install.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
It'd better only be automatic if i set it that way. I don't appreciate anything or anyone installing stuff to my system whenever they feel like it.
Yeah I knew inevitably someone would say that. I'm sure you'll be able to turn it off if you want.

I will say this - the thing about automatic driver updates is that they have to make sure the driver updates are very solid. When you have potentially millions of people automatically getting drivers as soon as they're available, you don't have room to have a put out a set with a bug that breaks a popular game. E.g. there's an almost non-existent window of time to pull a bad driver set. If a bad set did go out, the exposure could be very large and correspondingly so would the amount of bad will it could generate.

Of course on the other side of things - if a bad set does go out, automatic updates makes it very easy to quickly distribute a correction to the entire affected user base. Plus they could theoretically put out updates (especially small, simple things like profile updates) on a much more frequent basis without annoying people who don't want to be manually downloading an installing a new driver every week.

So in my opinion at least, automatic driver updates are a good idea all around. It forces them to step up their QA a little, but also gives them the ability to roll out faster and more incremental updates.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:08 PM   #6
void4ever
Radeon R700

I'm not sure you quite understand whats going on here bro. Were not talking game patches that valve themselves can whip up in a day or two if something breaks, like say TF2.

I think automatic updates for video card drivers is a horrible idea, be it ATI or Nvidia. If you watch the new driver threads for both cards there are tons of issues that crop up. And just because ATI is partnering up with Valve doesn't mean all the sudden were gonna start seeing 10 hotfix's in between official releases. Nor will there 12 drivers a year schedule change. Atm were lucky if we see 1 hotfix per release really.

Now don't get me wrong i love my ATI card, and i personally rarely see any of the issues that are constantly reported, probably because i'm a single card user. But lets take for instance the recent bug that cropped up that broke borderlands causing it to CTD after a short period of game play. We didn't receive a hotfix for that, we had to wait a whole month for the fix. And i guarantee had this partnership with valve been in place we still wouldn't have seen a hotfix.

With the amount of system differences and complexity of it all i just don't see automatic updates in this respect being a good idea.

No i didn't miss that they won't be automatic (unless chosen). Just responding to Sweetz.

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
fellix_bg
Don't lettuce on me!

fellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Apparently Valve is ready for deployment now -- it's AMD's turn to deliver the goods:

Life has more imagination than we carry in our dreams...
fellix_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
I'm not sure you quite understand whats going on here bro.
I understand perfectly, I was saying in theory it could be used to distribute more frequent updates - and in perfect world it would be. I was not predicting that it will happen. However, I would also caution against making predictions that it's never going to change - because you should never say never in the realm of computing.

At a minimum, it at least opens the opportunity to do small things like frequent Crossfire/AA compatibility profile updates without having to completely change how their driver update dynamic.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:46 PM   #9
narciso
Rage3D Veteran

narciso is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
I understand perfectly, I was saying in theory it could be used to distribute more frequent updates - and in perfect world it would be. I was not predicting that it will happen. However, I would also caution against making predictions that it's never going to change - because you should never say never in the realm of computing.

At a minimum, it at least opens the opportunity to do small things like frequent Crossfire/AA compatibility profile updates without having to completely change how their driver update dynamic.
That was the task of CAP, and it's not working.
narciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:08 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by narciso View Post
That was the task of CAP, and it's not working.
Yes, actually it is.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:18 AM   #11
narciso
Rage3D Veteran

narciso is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Yes, actually it is.
How it's working, when CAP's are released monthly and not when new games arrive. CAP's are a good idea, the problem is they aren't released when we need them.
narciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:50 AM   #12
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

So for years ATi were in bed with Valve until about 2007 when Valve did a deal with nVidia, and all the ATi logos vanished from CounterStrike menus and so on. Does this mean then that Valve and ATi are back in bed together?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:36 PM   #13
red_star
Banned

red_star is still being judged by the masses

That is scary **** knowing that both Steam and CCC are bloated.
red_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:04 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_star View Post
That is scary **** knowing that both Steam and CCC are bloated.
bloated like your mom
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:28 PM   #15
Cartel
Radeon HD 280X

Cartel is still being judged by the masses

Arrow

I don't know what steam is, but I wanna keep it that way.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:46 PM   #16
void4ever
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
I don't know what steam is, but I wanna keep it that way.
It's just amazing that in this day and age you can get internet hooked up at the "rock you've been living under"!

Secondary Machine:

HTPC Machine:
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:59 PM   #17
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think this is a very cool idea!

Kudos to AMD on this.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:37 PM   #18
red_star
Banned

Quote:
bloated like your mom
Seriously man
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:44 PM   #19
red_star
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
Apologies if this news has already been posted somewhere else, but I didn't see anything.

http://blogs.amd.com/press/2010/09/1...ates-on-steam/

SUNNYVALE, Calif. — Sept. 15, 2010 — AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced its collaboration with Valve todeliver ATI Catalyst™ graphics driver updates via its Steam platform, a leading platform for PC games and digitalentertainment. Steam users can now detect and install the latest ATI Catalyst driver for their ATI Radeon™ graphics card directly from within Steam.

”Valve is extremely pleased to be working with AMD to provide automatic driver updates for AMD’s leading edge products on Steam,” said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. “PC gamers demand the most of their gaming hardware and providing these updates automatically will help ensure those playing via Steam are playing at optimal performance.”

This is very cool. I've often made the complaint that I can't believe that it's 2010, and that for the most part we still have to keep an eye on the news, seek out and manually install driver updates same way we did over 10 years ago.

Proper, pro-active automatic driver updating for video cards has been too long in the making and I'm glad a company is finally trying to make some progress to that end.

I'm just hoping that Valve didn't sign some exclusive agreement with AMD, and that they'll offer a similar system for nVidia drivers as well - because ultimately, having end users on properly updated drivers is as much benefit to developers as it is to the end users.
You would think ATI would offer driver update through their software rather than using Steam.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:45 PM   #20
red_star
Banned

Quote:
bloated like your mom
CCC is written in .NET -> crap. CCC should be done in C language. But i guess since Microsoft don't care about memory footprint of their OS, why would ATI? Right?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:22 PM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_star View Post
CCC is written in .NET -> crap. CCC should be done in C language. But i guess since Microsoft don't care about memory footprint of their OS, why would ATI? Right?
Feel free to submit your resume to Microsoft and AMD, to show them how it's done right.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:26 PM   #22
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

His mom would get the job since she is much more versatile and accommodating as she bends over backwards to provide good service
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:23 PM   #23
red_star
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
His mom would get the job since she is much more versatile and accommodating as she bends over backwards to provide good service
What else to expect from British wanker.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:55 PM   #24
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

That's two British Wankers, actually.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:05 AM   #25
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Told my friends (gamers, but do not care about tech/drivers) about this and they loved how simple it is. Steam does it for them and no reboot required.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:47 AM   #26
Riou
Radeon R420

Riou is still being judged by the masses

This is a good idea as long as the latest drivers work properly.

Riou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:49 PM   #27
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

the drivers didnt need a reboot in the first place (except CF)
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:53 PM   #28
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

Does this even work? Yes or no?

To Play List: Everything else

Last edited by zebra 204 : Sep 18, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:01 PM   #29
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra 204 View Post
Does this even work? Yes or no?
Just did it. The answer is no. Fail.

To Play List: Everything else

Last edited by zebra 204 : Sep 18, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:24 PM   #30
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra 204 View Post
Just did it. The answer is no. Fail.
I have Steam, and I have an ATI card.

I'll be damned if I can figure out how to update my drivers through Steam.

Currently running 10.6.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote