Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Tablet for my Daughter

I know very little about tablets, preferring laptops or cell phones for my requirements. However, my daughter received a Tabeo kids tablet for Christmas from my mother, which now has a broken micro-USB connector. Fortunately, she had the foresight to buy the protection plan (I never do ) and I have requested a refund through mail. That thing was buggy as Hell and slow.

I think she can handle a real Android tablet with much better performance; she's 8 now and quite good with electronics, and will be careful. Although I will get a nice case for it. It will need to be <$200. I see the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and Nexus 7 for that price range that look decent.

Do you all have any recommendations for my reqs? TIA
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

If you are looking in the $200 or less range (and new), I would check the Archos line. They have a few which are in that price range and their quality is decent.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
I know very little about tablets, preferring laptops or cell phones for my requirements. However, my daughter received a Tabeo kids tablet for Christmas from my mother, which now has a broken micro-USB connector. Fortunately, she had the foresight to buy the protection plan (I never do ) and I have requested a refund through mail. That thing was buggy as Hell and slow.

I think she can handle a real Android tablet with much better performance; she's 8 now and quite good with electronics, and will be careful. Although I will get a nice case for it. It will need to be <$200. I see the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and Nexus 7 for that price range that look decent.

Do you all have any recommendations for my reqs? TIA
Just for official software upgradeability straight from Google, I would get the Nexus between the two tablets you mentioned..
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah nexus 7 should be cheap and get latest android upgrades.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Nexus 7 is a good tablet.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:20 AM   #6
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

I would recommend IOS for a child
simply because it has many more apps for them

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:34 AM   #7
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I would recommend IOS for a child
simply because it has many more apps for them
You recommend cisco equipment?

Budget is under $200, go with the Nexus 7.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:13 AM   #8
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Went with Nexus 7. Thanks for all the help! Seems like a good tablet for the price. Used K-9 Protection for web use, only low maturity apps allowed.

...Now I want one.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:47 AM   #9
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Went with Nexus 7. Thanks for all the help! Seems like a good tablet for the price. Used K-9 Protection for web use, only low maturity apps allowed.

...Now I want one.
Its a great tablet you wont be dissapointed.. I would recommend a ipad for an adult if you are into gaming on it, if not I would stick with a nexus 7. Other than gaming I think the nexus is definitely superior in the price/performance category. On the other hand if you plan on gaming, then ios is hands down far and above anything android has to offer. Barring that those windows beasts can play PC games.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:32 PM   #10
ragewars_sc
Radeon Southern Islands

ragewars_sc is still being judged by the masses

Nexus 7! I have one.. its fast, cheap and up to date!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Kindle Fire is nice. I think she will like the the camera. It is the biggest thing missing from my Nexus 7. You lose so many features without the camera. Barcode reading is such a powerful tool.

Nexus 7 is still an awesome choice.

Would she like an ipod touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

...Now I want one.
Splashtop allows you to access your PC. Basically giving you the power of a PC on the tablet. It fits well with Windows 8 gestures too.

Quote:
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:59 AM   #13
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Kindle Fire is nice. I think she will like the the camera. It is the biggest thing missing from my Nexus 7. You lose so many features without the camera. Barcode reading is such a powerful tool.

Nexus 7 is still an awesome choice.

Would she like an ipod touch?
My son has in iPod touch and loves it. She doesn't like the small screen. I like the fact I can share my paid apps with her Nexus 7 (I have an Android phone), which I have to buy apps for my son's iPod separately. Anyway, Nexus 7 it was, and it is a big hit.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Kindle fire HD or Nexus 7
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:32 PM   #15
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Yeah nexus 7 should be cheap and get latest android upgrades.
+1 for Nexus 7
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I was very tempted to go with the nexus 7. went with the transformer prime instead.. not sure how I feel about it. Looking at the nexus 10 though
Canesfan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:35 AM   #17
Thr0tt
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Go for a cheap older generation iPad, its easier to lock down and restrict than android I have found. My 4 yr old and 6 yr old share my old iPad and I use the android.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:16 AM   #18
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

iPad Mini.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
iPad Mini.

Quote:
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

During my searches I ended up going with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". It looks great, the speakers are awesome, and once I rooted it and installed a different interface it behaves just like any Android tablet.

I mostly use it for reading my school textbooks or other books that I bought, or surfing the web. Chrome looks pretty nice on there, and there is a way to get flash working with the Dolphin browser.

It's not the most amazing tablet, there are better ones for sure. But for the price, it's really hard to beat. It suits my needs perfectly.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote