Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 12, 2016, 02:08 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber
Default Game Collecting

Any console game collectors here?

I've recently started collecting and playing the older games again now that my schedule is clearing up as we get closer to the colder months. While searching for specific games, I'm seeing a lot of questionable stuff and there appears to be a LOT of fakes out there since I was buying these a LONG time ago.

Do any of you have resources for legit cartridges?

Does anyone know if DKOldies verifies that their games are original?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 06:30 PM   #2
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Console King

I watch MetalJesusRocks youtube channel> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEF...FCo_AchSpxwyrg

they just put one up on how to spot Nintendo fakes the other day...
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2016, 08:04 PM   #3
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima13 View Post
I watch MetalJesusRocks youtube channel> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEF...FCo_AchSpxwyrg

they just put one up on how to spot Nintendo fakes the other day...
Thanks!

I've read a lot on how to spot the fakes, so hopefully I don't ever run into that. But, I'd really like to avoid having to deal with it altogether.

I sent an email to DKOldies and talked with them a bit. They guarantee everything they sell is 100% original, no reproductions or counterfeits. Will probably buy from them unless I can verify something is original on my own in person before buying.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 28, 2016, 03:45 AM   #4
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

China and Russia make tons of fake or reproduction cartridges and CD-ROMs...

Some ppl in North America also do however the bastards have high asking prices nearly matching the price of what the game sells for.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yeah I guess I would consider myself a retro game collector. You may remember my thread from last month about restoring my NES to perfect working order.

I have been focusing mostly on the NES and SNES in recent years, and apparently lots of other folks have too as the prices are out of control. Some of the more popular games in loose cart form are fetching current AAA game pricing. Its insane, and very frustrating if you just want the games to play them.

As for spotting repro/bootlegs, yeah it can be tricky especially when looking at Ebay listings which is your biggest resource for retro games. I recently noticed my Final Fantasy VI on GBA was a repro. You will just learn how to recognize a fake after enough time of looking at listings on Ebay. Tell tale signs are usually in the label not fitting perfectly straight, not having the right coloring and plastic, and in situations like with SNES carts they will use plastic screws and the back will be missing the Nintendo logo. Stuff like that. Also, its usually the more expensive games that get faked. Like your Dracula X, or Earthbound carts. If you ever come across something you are unsure of you can ask folks over at the NintendoAge forums.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:48 AM   #6
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Thanks, bought my first game a couple weeks ago to start adding to the collection of games I originally bought when the consoles were actually released. Bought Super Mario All Stars for SNES from DKOldies. Will probably buy most of the stuff through them just to avoid the hassle of eliminating reproductions.

Working through the Mario Games right now when I get the chance to play. Super Mario Bros was cake...so much easier than I remember when I was young. Cranked through every level, and whipped through worlds 1 through 7 in about 1hr15min. World 8 took a little longer, but had the game beat in less than 2 hours. Lost Levels is ridiculous, but fun. Not a big fan of Mario 2, but slowly slogging through it.

Fairly set on purchasing Bubble Bobble and Punch Out next month, possibly along with Super C. All for NES. Then, either all of the Ninja Gaiden or a Double Dragon games are next on the radar.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Sell the orginal Game Boy for a healthy profit and buy a Game Boy Advance SP. Its backwards compatible with the original GB games plus the screen is color and back lit. Just make sure to get the SP version as I don't think any of the Nintendo DS versions play the original GB games.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:07 PM   #8
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Sell the orginal Game Boy for a healthy profit and buy a Game Boy Advance SP. Its backwards compatible with the original GB games plus the screen is color and back lit. Just make sure to get the SP version as I don't think any of the Nintendo DS versions play the original GB games.
Look for the ags-101 model, as that one has the backlit screen. the ags-001 just has a front-lit screen... still loads better than no light at all.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:18 AM   #9
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I have a regular DS and a black Advance SP as well. Haven't been able to find the silver original DS, but it's around here somewhere. Looks like my SP is a USG-001? No idea how it compares to the models listed by Subcog.

I'd like to get one of the newer 3DS XL's, but not sure how often I'd use it. The Advance SP is tiny in my hands and not easy to play.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:21 AM   #10
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

meteor, wanna buy my vintage copy of baseball stars lol?
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
meteor, wanna buy my vintage copy of baseball stars lol?
Thanks but I've got that one. I'd be interested if it was the baseball stars 2 by Romstar. Pretty much the same great game with some tweaks and enhancements.

What else do you have that you're willing to part with?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 06:42 AM   #12
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Thanks but I've got that one. I'd be interested if it was the baseball stars 2 by Romstar. Pretty much the same great game with some tweaks and enhancements.

What else do you have that you're willing to part with?
Im hoarding my leftovers lol. I still have final fantasy 1, dragon quest
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Oct 3, 2016, 08:24 AM   #13
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
Im hoarding my leftovers lol. I still have final fantasy 1, dragon quest
I hear you. I'm not really selling any of mine either. Most of the good must have games have become rare commodities and with all the collectors emerging in the last handful of years they will someday be completely gone and their prices will shoot up even more than they already have. I am curious to see what the release of the NES Classic will do to prices of the original physical games.

I've got a short list of the remaining titles I am trying to acquire. Hopefully I can get them all before prices really get out of control.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 02:59 PM   #14
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

I went through a phase of buying games that were nostalgic to me, games that I owned or played as a kid. A few years ago I sold it all and I don't really have any regrets. It was just sitting there unplayed and I didn't want to have to buy a large CRT TV like I had originally planned.

My focus was on complete-in-box games. The Sega Genesis CIB games are pretty affordable, but once you got into Nintendo land it got very expensive. Thankfully, the Genesis is my favorite console.

Here's what I had for Genesis

Unrelated to Consoles, but I have been starting a collection of Steelbooks for PC games, new & old.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2016, 03:59 PM   #15
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I think complete in box games is a tough focus to have when collecting. I am not serious enough to go that route with it. Not only can it be really expensive depending on the platform, but its just plain tough to find what you're looking for especially when getting into the more rare titles, and if you are wanting the best condition.

The trick as you eluded to is to go with an affordable and less sought after platform. I think right now the original Xbox is a good example of a platform that's easy to collect for because its just not very hot with collectors at the moment. Most of the games in the Xbox library can be had for less than $5 a piece and that's even for the better games on the platform.

Personally though I am not going to focus on collecting a specific platform just because its easy to obtain. I want what I want, and that's the stuff that is sentimental and nostalgic to me. Unfortunately that happens to be the NES/SNES/N64 which is the hot stuff everyone wants. Due to that, I wont bother trying to complete the library, or get everything complete in box and great condition. I just want the games I have a personal connection to in some form from my childhood, be it games I used to play but either never owned or lost along the way, or just games I always wanted.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 07:45 PM   #16
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

OverclockN does your GBA SP play original GB games?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 08:49 PM   #17
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
OverclockN does your GBA SP play original GB games?
Had it confused with the DS Lite I took pictures of. I have a blue advance SP, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I have the original box and packaging, but the actual handheld is nowhere to be found.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Had it confused with the DS Lite I took pictures of. I have a blue advance SP, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I have the original box and packaging, but the actual handheld is nowhere to be found.
OK I understand now. Yeah it kind of stinks the DS doesn't play original GB games. Hope you find your SP.

Personally I don't care much for the handhelds anymore. Just no real opportunities to use them. Only time i can game is when I'm home and there I'd rather just play the consoles. Gave my handhelds to my son.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 09:08 PM   #19
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
OK I understand now. Yeah it kind of stinks the DS doesn't play original GB games. Hope you find your SP.

Personally I don't care much for the handhelds anymore. Just no real opportunities to use them. Only time i can game is when I'm home and there I'd rather just play the consoles. Gave my handhelds to my son.
I agree. I've only recently taken them out of storage. The 3DS XL certainly looks tempting, but it goes back to what you said...no idea when I would actually play the thing.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 09:10 PM   #20
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Agree with everything you said, spot on.

Also yes, the N64 would have done so much better if it just had a good selection of RPGs and shmups. Those two genres are sorely missing on the platform.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 02:27 PM   #21
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Picked up some games. Told myself I'd only spend so much, so done until next month. Ended up straying from N64. All EBay auctions and best offers. Still trying to pick up Blast Corps and Killer Instinct for N64, but have either lost every auction or been refused on offers. I'll find a deal eventually.

N64
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Body Harvest

NES
Bubble Bobble
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Old Oct 17, 2016, 03:15 PM   #22
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I actually have duplicate copies of Double Dragon 1 & III up for sale on Ebay at the moment. Awesome games that bring back great memories, even if the NES versions are gimped arcade ports.

Lately I have been picking up games here and there. My local Salvation Army has been getting a lot of good stuff lately. Lots of NES and Genesis, to go along with the plethora of crap PS3/X360 sports titles they always have in stock. Then as usual I also grab the odd good deal off Ebay, usually has to be at least $4 lower than current market value. Recent pickups:

NES: Gun.Smoke, Tetris 2, Ninja Gaiden 1, Jackal, TMNT II, Kid Icarus, 1942, 1943, Guardian Legend, Kung Fu

SNES: Alien 3

N64: Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth, Space Invaders

Genesis: Thunder Force III

PS2: Contra Shattered Soldier

BUT, just this weekend I went to reclaim whatever I left in my parents house when I moved and hit the jackpot:

My old Sega stuff! (and a few lost SNES games) I thought I had lost all this when I moved out back in 2003 but apparently I just forgot to take the box LOL. Now I'm tempted to by Sega Saturn games but they are god damn expensive.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 03:52 PM   #23
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Nice! What kind of prices are you seeing at the Salvation Army? I haven't checked out any local places whatsoever. Probably should.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 04:09 PM   #24
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Nice! What kind of prices are you seeing at the Salvation Army? I haven't checked out any local places whatsoever. Probably should.
If you can find anything in a thrift store like SA or Goodwill, the prices are usually going to be pretty damn good. The people who run my local store don't seem to know anything about the current value of games, and usually just price them the same no matter what they are. So I generally see $4.99 for NES carts regardless if its a rare valuable game or just some common. I got a copy of Contra for $4.99 just a few weeks ago there, and that game sells regularly for about $40 online. Just imagine if some idiot unwittingly donates a Little Samson or god forbid a Stadium Events.

Lately though I have been noticing they are sometimes pricing their games differently so I'm not sure if they are starting to check Ebay prices before pricing them now, or maybe there's different employees doing the pricing. Either way you're still going to get a good deal, and especially if they let you haggle the price down a little for example if say you offer to buy everything they have (which I usually do).

Also should mention, a lot of people get frustrated with thrift stores in their area and claim they never have anything. The thing is, thrift store inventory is constantly changing. CONSTANTLY. The only way you can score nice things is if you pop in there to check out what they have every single day. Luckily the SA is right on my way home so its easy for me to stop in daily. Good luck!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:38 PM   #25
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
What were you looking to get for Double Dragon 3? It's on my list for next month. Feel free to PM me if you like.
Well I've got it listed on ebay and it's already been bid on. Sorry 'bout that.

It's a fairly common game though so you should be able to find it easily and its only going for around $12 or so right now.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:18 AM   #26
Higgy10

sometimes ratty old pc and video game stores in small towns are gold mines.

http://www.ramct.com/video_games.php

where i used to live, that guy had(and still has) tons of retro crap
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:22 AM   #27
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Since I found my old Sega Saturn I am seriously tempted to start getting into the Japanese imports for this console. So many more great games were released for it over there that never made it to the states. But some of them, and of course in my beloved shmup genre, are really expensive. We're talking upwards of $500 for some of the more sought after titles. Damn, if I only started collecting 10 years ago.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 01:20 PM   #28
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Just got back from a business trip and hit a few Goodwill and thrift stores on the way home. Not a single one of them had even 1 video game of any type whatsoever on a shelf. Totally struck out.

...but I did find a fair deal on ebay for Marble Madness for NES and have that on the way.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 02:07 PM   #29
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

It might be worthwhile to ask an employee or better yet the manager in those thrift stores about how often they get video game donations if at all. Make sure to specifically mention "old Nintendo" as regular people don't always understand exactly what you mean.

I go in my local store so often now I'm actually on a first name basis with some of the employees, and was able to find out they usually put new items out on the shelves everyday around noon. Very useful bit of info, but unfortunately I don't usually get there until around 6pm daily. I have a sneaking suspicion there's resellers that stalk that store everyday and pick through all the stuff before me to get whatever's good. They had a Sega Genesis model 2 in the box the other day but the box was in poor condition and didn't think it was something I really needed so I left it. It was gone the next day.

As for Marble Madness its actually a game on my want list. I can't remember ever playing it. Does it play well with the standard controller? I seem to remember it using a trackball controller in the arcade.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 06:59 PM   #30
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyx View Post
I had some rare Sega Saturn games I wish I never sold.

Sold Panzer Dragoon Saga for $150 nearly 10+ years ago and now it's worth around $600-$800.

Also had Bunch of Japanese fighters for it to Xmen vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Street fighter, Vampire Savior.
Oh man ouch that hurts. Sorry to hear it.

We all have regrets though. I sold off a bunch of Sega CD and Genesis games that I wish I held onto.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a biggie though. My guess as to why it's so expensive aside from its rarity is because the Japanese version is impossible to play since it's an RPG. Other JP imports for games like shooters and fighting games can still be played without the English text. Been trying lately to get some good deals on imports like Shienryu, Strikers 1945, and Radiant Silvergun. There's others i want too but damn they are expensive, like Battle Garegga. Wish i started picking these games up years ago.