Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:35 AM   #361
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Whole livingroom

My HT is not as impressive as most; heck all, of you guys. Here is mine. The Computer underneath my entertainment center is going to be replaced soon. It was a POC to see if I really wanted a Media PC, so I "stole" my kids PC and hooked it up in my livingroom. I found I really do like having an HTPC so I am pricing out an ION based Atom computer build to replace it so I can have small form factor and low power consumption.

I see people post their office/PC setup too. Here is mine. Again, not as impressive as most of you guys. I guess a little more conservative. My family lives in the office. Its basically my wife's room and why its messy. Also snapped a pic of my prize GNR frame. I received this when I worked for Universal Music. It has seen better days. I need a new frame for it. Wife makes me hide it behind the door. Sinner!

We have a game room too, but the kids have it trashed with toys all over the place and I am too embarrassed to take pictures of it in its current state. Nothing impressive. Just our classic consoles attached to 32 inch Sony CRT and my old Panasonic surround sound system.
MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Last edited by jimmt : Nov 26, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:35 PM   #362
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

might as well post the computer room setup with the thrist store special speakers

Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:07 PM   #363
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I do agree.
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:56 PM   #364
UberBeavis
This is SO much fun!!!!

UberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I've just got a modest setup. An old (but still wonderful) HK AVR146 driving Klipsch RB35 fronts/RC35 center/RS3 surrounds. A Toshiba 62HM95 screen.
PS3 for blurays.

See more of my horrible photos, and a few good ones here.
UberBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:07 PM   #365
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I wish I had speakers like that.

Also, you need to clean up, bro.
lighting up the dark.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 03:52 PM   #366
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Messing around with my sonosub a bit:

Build pics in case anyone missed my thread last year
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:36 PM   #367
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Briner is still being judged by the masses

My HTPC with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. I have more HD-DVD's than Blu-Rays. I loved that format. RIP oh well at least there is one format now. The good thing is you can get HD-DVD's supper cheap at game stores and on amazon. Once you rip and encode them they will be viable forever .

Last edited by Briner : Jun 13, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
Briner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:09 PM   #368
Camster
Rage3D Veteran

Camster is still being judged by the masses

Here is my fairly new Panny 50 G20 plasma. Sorry for the poor camera skills.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Camster : Jun 25, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:11 PM   #369
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

sitting your right speaker on top of the sub (and having the left and right speakers at different heights) is not exactly the best idea
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:11 PM   #370
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post
sitting your right speaker on top of the sub (and having the left and right speakers at different heights) is not exactly the best idea
Not to mention dangling his shiney new tv over the center speaker

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:07 AM   #371
necropimp
666 Flavors

i'd like to see where the problem is... looks like the TV is mounted on the stand not sitting on top of the speaker
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:24 AM   #372
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
i'd like to see where the problem is... looks like the TV is mounted on the stand not sitting on top of the speaker
Hmm maybe you're right. I think I saw the top of the center speaker as the tv's stand base. Didn't occur to me it was rear mounted but it would be too small for the base on closer inspection.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:49 AM   #373
Camster
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Not to mention dangling his shiney new tv over the center speaker
LOL no it's rear mounted on the stand post. I just noticed it looks like it's a small base on the center speaker in that crappy pic. Good God that would be bad. Besides it was still attached after the earthquake here the other day thankfully.

As for the speaker on the sub I know it's not right but I don't know where I can put it as I don't have much space for this stuff in my basement right now?

I was expecting more comments on my crappy lava lamp & my kids picture he drew of an apple years ago. LOL.

Last edited by Camster : Jun 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:53 AM   #374
Zero
Sass hole

I like both the picture and lava lamp!

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:00 AM   #375
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I may have a new TV to put in my living room in the next week or two....

With my old TV dying it gave me an excuse to pull EVERYTHING apart and clean the whole lot (even the cords) so when I put things back together it'll be nice and tidy
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:54 AM   #376
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I like both the picture and lava lamp!
+1!!!

It is the speaker configuration that is bugging me. I have an incredibly strong impulse to find where you live and rearrange your speakers. It bugs the crud out of me when people have an expensive TV and a terrible speaker setup. It bugs me even worse when they have all five channels sitting in front. Drives me nearly to madness.

Can't you put the sub off to the right just a little? Then at least your fronts would be symmetric even if they are to close together.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jun 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:16 PM   #377
Camster
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
+1!!!

It is the speaker configuration that is bugging me. I have an incredibly strong impulse to find where you live and rearrange your speakers. It bugs the crud out of me when people have an expensive TV and a terrible speaker setup. It bugs me even worse when they have all five channels sitting in front. Drives me nearly to madness.

Can't you put the sub off to the right just a little? Then at least your fronts would be symmetric even if they are to close together.
Actually it sounds fine to me. My sound setup is not an overly expensive one but gets the job done. I can't move the sub to the right as that is the stairs coming down to my basement (another foot to the right.) I could get a long cable & move the sub way to the left just past the door & set the right speaker on the floor perhaps?? Would that really make much difference?

In reality I should have put my Home Theater at the opposite end of my basement away from that damned furnace room door but I never had a plan for any of this or to have that much gear. What does having the sub under the speaker do? I get that both speakers would be best at the same height.

Sorry to have frustrated you all with my setup.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:16 AM   #378
Matrix0507
Scootable Catalyst

Matrix0507 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Actually it sounds fine to me. My sound setup is not an overly expensive one but gets the job done. I can't move the sub to the right as that is the stairs coming down to my basement (another foot to the right.) I could get a long cable & move the sub way to the left just past the door & set the right speaker on the floor perhaps?? Would that really make much difference?

In reality I should have put my Home Theater at the opposite end of my basement away from that damned furnace room door but I never had a plan for any of this or to have that much gear. What does having the sub under the speaker do? I get that both speakers would be best at the same height.

Sorry to have frustrated you all with my setup.
Here is a potential solution:
Relocate your sub as the sound is non-directional (meaning you will get the same effect from most anywhere in your room). This way you can get that Front Right in the correct position.
Also, consider mounting the center speaker above your television.

This thread reminds me that I have to submit a more recent picture of my set up. It is much more up to date/robust/expensive than the one I posted years back. Also, I have moved into my own house so the layout changed significantly.

Edit: Didn't fully read your post. You pretty much came to the same conclusion (except for the center speaker idea) Something else to consider when placing the sub: Experiment. In some cases you may find that positioning your sub in a particular part of your room amplifies the effect due to resonance frequency.
Originally Posted by gaurav_fhs
1 simple thread by Matrix started this nonsense?

Last edited by Matrix0507 : Jun 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Matrix0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:19 PM   #379
necropimp
666 Flavors

it's best to have the center around the same height as the front l/r

of course the ideal setup is the front l/c/r to be behind the screen but that only works with projector setups and perforated screens
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:25 PM   #380
Camster
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
it's best to have the center around the same height as the front l/r

of course the ideal setup is the front l/c/r to be behind the screen but that only works with projector setups and perforated screens
Uh oh now I'm going to have raise the center speaker in front of the tv screen.....
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:11 PM   #381
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

The thing that is really bothering me is that your front channels are so close together. Having them further apart would give you a better sound stage IMO. Unfortunately it looks like you don't have the space for that at all.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:09 PM   #382
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Here's mine,

the living room:

Front:

DirecTV HR-22 decoder, Wii, PS3 Slim, Sony DVD, Panasonic SC-HT07 (old but still strong!):

Samsung 46" UN46B6000VF:

BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | ASUS ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080 8GB @2063/10010Mhz | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red+ Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | 2 x XFX Radeon R9-290X Black Edition 4GB Crossfire | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:24 PM   #383
ScottDoom
It's Okay

That looks real nice. You need to get you one of those Logitech remotes to replace all those you have layin' on the table.
lighting up the dark.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:40 PM   #384
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've wanted to do that since last year when I first saw the Harmony 1000; however, my wife has forbidden me on even think getting one .
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | ASUS ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080 8GB @2063/10010Mhz | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red+ Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | 2 x XFX Radeon R9-290X Black Edition 4GB Crossfire | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:08 AM   #385
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmchv View Post
I've wanted to do that since last year when I first saw the Harmony 1000; however, my wife has forbidden me on even think getting one .
Throw your existing remotes all over the place, she'll back down in no time. Nice clean setup btw

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:31 AM   #386
lmchv
Planet Express

I've already done that, no luck.

Anyways, I expect to travel to the US maybe later this year, I think I will do some online shopping and buy an unexpected gift for me

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:40 AM   #387
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
I've already done that, no luck.

Anyways, I expect to travel to the US maybe later this year, I think I will do some online shopping and buy an unexpected gift for me
If its the price that concerns her you can get a refurbished Harmony 550 for $80 off newegg. Works very nicely and controls up to 15 devices. I have been using this one for the past year on my system and just got one for my parents and they are totally happy with it.

My wife loved it as soon as she realized that it allowed her to use the home theater with out bugging me for help.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:44 AM   #388
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Here's mine,

the living room:

Very interesting speaker configuration.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:33 PM   #389
RicH(SAD)
Radeon Northern Islands

RicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete stranger

Got myself some new speakers! Energy RC-70.

RicH(SAD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:52 PM   #390
Zero
Sass hole

Nice! I picked up a set of RC70 and an LCR a few weeks ago but returned them because thy were too big in my living space

Best sound in their price range (on sale). Break in takes a while on these, give em a good 2-3 days of continuous pink noise.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"