Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 12, 2020, 09:35 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Hard pass on a 32" and still 1440P, plus the 1000R curve. I looked at a monitor in the store that had a 1000R curve and it's just definitely not for me.

I'm not a competitive gamer, and would rather have better resolution and a minor bump in refresh rate. 120-144Hz is good enough for me.

Still haven't decided what I'm doing for sure. If I go 32"+ 16:9, it'll be 4k or nothing.

But I'm really leaning toward a 38" 3840x1600, just trying to get comfortable with the price first before committing. The LG 38WN95C-W is currently my top pick for a monitor.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2020, 07:48 PM   #62
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Btw from a watching video content perspective, it's worth noting that while most YouTube content might look a little odd because most content is 16x9. The 21:9 aspect ratio is purposefully nestle in between the cinema aspect ratios of 2.35:1 and 2.39:1. So content shot in CinemaScope tends to look pretty dope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21:9_aspect_ratio

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2020, 08:42 PM   #63
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Btw from a watching video content perspective, it's worth noting that while most YouTube content might look a little odd because most content is 16x9. The 21:9 aspect ratio is purposefully nestle in between the cinema aspect ratios of 2.35:1 and 2.39:1. So content shot in CinemaScope tends to look pretty dope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21:9_aspect_ratio
21:9 monitors are closer to 2 35-2.4:1 in reality.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 12, 2020, 09:04 PM   #64
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
How does 21:9 work with older games and movies/shows? I'd imagine I'd have borders on the sides on a lot of stuff.
Nevermind older games and videos... It's all over the place, you have to accept black bars are potentially everywhere.

For movies, Nolan movies are the most annoying because he used IMAX camera only on select scenes of the movies, the result? Most of the movies are going to have Quad black bars when viewed in ultrawide display.

Same thing with games, for AAA games, many still only give you 16:9 cutscenes, some of the worse one would add letterbox black bars on the cutscenes, making them just exactly like Nolan movies

Some games flat out do not support 21:9 at all, some can be hacked some don't.

Game UI are other potential problems, not just placementsome can straight up bugged when displayed in ultrawide.

Etc.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 09:09 PM   #65
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
Nevermind older games and videos... It's all over the place, you have to accept black bars are potentially everywhere.

For movies, Nolan movies are the most annoying because he used IMAX camera only on select scenes of the movies, the result? Most of the movies are going to have Quad black bars when viewed in ultrawide display.

Same thing with games, for AAA games, many still only give you 16:9 cutscenes, some of the worse one would add letterbox black bars on the cutscenes, making them just exactly like Nolan movies

Some games flat out do not support 21:9 at all, some can be hacked some don't.

Game UI are other potential problems, not just placementsome can straight up bugged when displayed in ultrawide.

Etc.
Yeah, all of that sounds incredibly annoying.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:24 PM   #66
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

What Napoleonic said. I hated the cutscene nonsense and HUD issues. I think Overwatch had just come out and it was terrible. I had to use some hack for Witcher 3 and whatever shooter I was playing. Youtube was garbage to watch. Most movies had black bars even with UW creating the viewing experience garbage. Now I remember why I opted for OLED instead of this garbage. In my country price of LG or Samsung was higher than the OLED. Plus apparently the G9 was even 400 bucks more expensive and has the issue of flickering at the center even in Linus review.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:36 PM   #67
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

It took 3 pages to get these kinds of answers to my questions.

Except KAC, you did mention it the first time.

I'd really like a 4k screen in 32", but man...it's REALLY hard to find anything that's gsync or gsync compatible, and decent. Just a huge gap right now in anything 32-43". Which is why I was looking at the ultrawide stuff. I think the display/size will work, just not sure if I could live with the format issues.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:40 PM   #68
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Witcher 3 supports 21:9 natively out of the box. I think you're just a n00b man.

I honestly don't have issues with games as you describe - but about 5 years ago on my Dell 21:9 I did run into a few.

The aspect ratio is just too good for gaming imo, I probably won't upgrade until 4k UW, although those 38" 1600p UW's are pretty tempting.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:51 PM   #69
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Witcher 3 supports 21:9 natively out of the box. I think you're just a n00b man.

I honestly don't have issues with games as you describe - but about 5 years ago on my Dell 21:9 I did run into a few.

The aspect ratio is just too good for gaming imo, I probably won't upgrade until 4k UW, although those 38" 1600p UW's are pretty tempting.
2015, it supported out of the box? Game was supported to fix UW. When I had UW, the HUD placement was off and cutscenes would run 16:9.

I am not going to spend time searching for when it was fixed but it wasn't definitely native on release. It took them about 6 months at the very least to fix it. It is also the reason why I played and finished the game on PS4 even though I had it on PC.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:55 PM   #70
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

If cut scenes are in 16:9, big deal it's identical to viewing them on a 27" 1440p display. The same goes for 16:9 video.

Anyway, sure it's not perfect but IMHO the aspect ratio in games outweighs the cons, of which there are few these days.

32" 4k also sounds appealing and is what I'd be looking at if not UW.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:07 PM   #71
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
32" 4k also sounds appealing and is what I'd be looking at if not UW.
Problem is, there just aren't any out there yet. There's an odd Phillips display which I have zero interest in. Then there's the LG 32UD99-W, but it's not that great of a monitor.

The concept of a 38" Ultrawide is honestly pretty appealing, and I could probably get past any format issues...especially since it wouldn't be a primary video or gaming machine. I mainly just watch youtube and netflix shows on my 2nd monitor while web surfing, so basically would just have it windowed to the side on the 38" UW. For most gaming and movies, I have the gaming PC in my sig and a room dedicated to that stuff with a home theater system.

But, even if I do convince myself that I could live with a 38" UW, there's the price. The LG is $1600. Hell, I could pick up a 55" LG CX OLED for that price. And all this talk of high refresh gaming, forget it at that resolution...it's not happening.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:26 PM   #72
demo
space cadet

Acer and ASUS are releasing 32" 4k mini-led displays soon, as in before the holiday period. They look awesome but I expect they'll be priced through the stratosphere.

Acer X32 and the ASUS PG32UQX
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:55 PM   #73
KAC
That postcount though...

Mini LED should be fine. Micro LED is the one that will remain priced through the stratosphere until 2023/2024.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 01:17 AM   #74
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

It's always like this . Pick and choose the parts you want, because no display nails it all.

On the upside, this isn't your primary display, so you really don't have to nail it perfectly. You just have to enjoy using it. That not as hard trying to get the perfect display.

P.s. On the note of "does my game do this" sorta thing, just cruise over the WSGF and dial it in. I've been awesomely surprised at how rarely I run into a game that doesn't do UW properly. This transition has been insanely better than the 4:3 to 16x9 transition.

Quote:
Potentially, but not usually anymore. And getting old games to use it is... well welcome to old games. This is the same thing that happened with 4:3 to 16x9. Only it's less commonly an issue than that.

Quote:
Actually no. That depends on your source. Because what it should do, is display Cinemascope content at full screen, or almost, and then switch to side black bars on the imax moments. So like the opposite of what happens on a 16x9 display when you watch those movies.

Quote:
Depends on the game again. Some even do a cool transition with the letter boxing fading away from the cut-scene and into the full 21:9. Which can feel kinda awesome as you watch the game envelope your screen.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2020, 09:32 AM   #75
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

One thing to keep in mind about the 38" monitors from LG is that 2560x1600 is their "native" non-ultrawide resolution, so you will have black bars in all directions in titles that only has 16:9 support.

Last edited by Mangler : Aug 13, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:49 AM   #76
demo
space cadet

Wouldn't the 16:9 resolution just scale out? IE- 2880x1600?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:05 PM   #77
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Depends if the game has support for custom resolutions or not.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2020, 03:06 PM   #78
demo
space cadet

Yeh actually Death Stranding has very limited resolution options, wouldn't be surprised if it limited you to 1440p.

Just noticed you have the 38GN950 Am thinking about getting it myself, but not available here yet. What do you think about the 38WN95C-W? Specs look great but can't seem to find input latency data on it.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:41 PM   #79
KAC
That postcount though...

Mang, can you talk a bit more about your experiences with UW in recent games like:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Death Stranding
Red Dead Redemption 2
Call of Duty MW
Divinity Original Sin 2
Total War Troy
Ori and the Blind Forest
Little Nightmares
Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Or any other new game that you played and enjoyed. Would be helpful for me.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:57 PM   #80
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Also curious, thanks!

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:14 AM   #81
demo
space cadet

RDR2
Death Stranding
HZD
Total War Troy
COD MW

All have native 21:9 1440p support, but a couple have 16:9 cut scenes. Haven't played the others.

If you're curious, just create a custom resolution on your 4k TV and test them out (3440x1440 and 3840x1600)
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:18 AM   #82
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Mang, can you talk a bit more about your experiences with UW in recent games like:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Death Stranding
Red Dead Redemption 2
Call of Duty MW
Divinity Original Sin 2
Total War Troy
Ori and the Blind Forest
Little Nightmares
Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Can't you just Google it?

Or follow this steam curator

https://store.steampowered.com/curat...terrace-Group/
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:37 AM   #83
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Can't you just Google it?

Or follow this steam curator

https://store.steampowered.com/curat...terrace-Group/
If I wanted to google it, I won't join a forum for discussion.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 04:44 AM   #84
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
RDR2
Death Stranding
HZD
Total War Troy
COD MW

All have native 21:9 1440p support, but a couple have 16:9 cut scenes. Haven't played the others.

If you're curious, just create a custom resolution on your 4k TV and test them out (3440x1440 and 3840x1600)
divinity original sin 2 works fine on uw as well
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:48 AM   #85
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Been toying with this idea this morning.

Use a 34" 21:9 for primary display front and center. Used for gaming, work, browsing, etc.

Use a 27" 16:9 off to the right. Used for video content, browsing, random things up while gaming.

Ideally, I'd try to find displays from same manufacturer that look identical in construction and same dimensions. This way, I don't lose any real estate and video content is a non issue. As a bonus, I can still isolate my work laptop display (would put it on 32:9) from my personal PC (16:9) as well. I'd not lose any real estate for work and could still use both computers. It seems like a logical solution...

Thoughts/opinions?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 14, 2020, 07:40 PM   #86
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Lg 34gn850 and lg 27gn850 would fit such an idea
Old Aug 14, 2020, 09:31 PM   #87
demo
space cadet

I had the same set up about 7 years ago but with 24" 16:9 (1080p) + 29" 21:9 (2560x1080p) and it was great TBH.

Quote:
Lg 34gn850 and lg 27gn850 would fit such an idea
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:51 PM   #88
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I had the same set up about 7 years ago but with 24" 16:9 (1080p) + 29" 21:9 (2560x1080p) and it was great TBH.

I see you're using a bit wider 34" display now, but what made you decide to not supplement with another display again? Felt you had enough space with the single this time?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:36 AM   #89
demo
space cadet

Yeh it seems big enough and have a 4k 55" next to my desk now, maybe 2 feet to the right of monitor.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:22 AM   #90
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Cut out a cardboard representation of the 27" 16:9 and put it up on my desk with the 34" 1440, and man...that is a LOT of screen. Maybe too much.

Need to get moving on this though. Thinking maybe I'll just order up the 34" 1440 and slap it up here and see what I think. Can always add the 27" at any time.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600