Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 12, 2018, 09:04 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
They are gonna kill their gaming base with prices like that. TBH with current games more most folks a 1080ti is already very sufficient. I'd say 749/800 on the 1080. We probably wont even see a titan.
I have no reason to upgrade past a 1080.. At 1440P 60 FPS, I am waiting until the next consoles come out.

People claim 60 FPS isn't good enough, I am cool with it.

2020-2021 By then you should be able to get a nice 4K HDR 144 monitor as well for reasonable dollars. Unless we all die.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:33 PM   #32
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanna View Post
I have no reason to upgrade past a 1080.. At 1440P 60 FPS, I am waiting until the next consoles come out.

2020-2021 By then you should be able to get a nice 4K HDR 144 monitor as well for reasonable dollars. Unless we all die.
I'm perfectly cool with 60fps as well. Although, I'm looking to maintain it with 4k. Hopefully, the 1080Ti replacement will do that...whenever it's released. Most of the games I play are supported by SLI, so there's that option. A few aren't but eh...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:48 PM   #33
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanna View Post

Only people who claim 60 fps is enough are ones who never quite played properly on a 144/165 setup.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 13, 2018, 05:07 AM   #34
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Only people who claim 60 fps is enough are ones who never quite played properly on a 144/165 setup.
dont you play alot of games on a ps4 @ 30fps?
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2018, 06:25 AM   #35
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Not competitive shooters. Also I sit about 7 ft away so impact of FPS is lower.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 06:55 AM   #36
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Or people who don't play competitive shooters. I'm not going to care much about 166fps in Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, or FarCry.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 07:48 AM   #37
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

60fps is a good minimum figure to maintain. I can recall when people put up with less. 30fps minimums used to be the gold standard.

I play some first person shooters on my 4k60hz setup and never really noticed an issue with it that said I wouldn't mind having more frames. Not gonna get a gsync or anything else. I'd rather wait for hdmi standards to get up there naturally and then just buy another TV.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:10 AM   #38
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
30fps minimums used to be the gold standard.
When was that? I can't say much for frame rates when I played a couple games on my parents Compaq back in 1998. But I've been going for 60fps since I built my first PC in 2000.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:12 AM   #39
Riptide

30 was considered a good minimum frame rate beyond which you'd start to notice it getting pretty choppy to the point it would interfere with playability. My recollection anyway. All the way back to the late 90s and on.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Feb 13, 2018, 03:08 PM   #40
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Honestly there's nothing interesting or interesting about this coming gen release. overpriced Midranger with last tiers high end performance for 600-700 bucks. Snooze.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2018, 03:36 PM   #41
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Honestly there's nothing interesting or interesting about this coming gen release. overpriced Midranger with last tiers high end performance for 600-700 bucks. Snooze.
We know this for sure?

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2018, 03:53 PM   #42
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
We know this for sure?
Its common sense at this point. They won't kill the chance to milk the market by giving an actual high end chip on the x80 we know that. They need to keep the 1080ti relevant as they get rid of all final stock. That way as the market is gone with tis in oems, etc other outlets in production. Meanwhile they will sell the new x80. Look at the titan V, it's hardly that much of an improvement across most titles with the exception of a few. I got mine on a bitspower block and oc vs a txp/1080ti oc it's not even worth upgrading if it was a couple hundred price difference in terms of gaming. Q4 or Q1 next year we will get the high end and the cycle continues. In the discrete consumer gpu space, nvidia competes with itself.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 06:02 AM   #43
KAC
That postcount though...

It seems Turing is the new Crypto omgfx card. If that is true, damn!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 08:54 AM   #44
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Possible two cards being launched by Nvidia, one for gaming and one for miners.

The ONLY way this will work is if mining is locked out the gamer cards either via driver or bios. Otherwise miners will just buy both.

Take with grain of salt:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60857...018/index.html
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 08:44 PM   #45
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Possible two cards being launched by Nvidia, one for gaming and one for miners.

The ONLY way this will work is if mining is locked out the gamer cards either via driver or bios. Otherwise miners will just buy both.

Take with grain of salt:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60857...018/index.html
- Lock down the current gen gaming GPUs
- Allow mining on new Tesla/Quadro
- Unlock outgoing gen gaming cards for mining
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2018, 01:08 PM   #46
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

More salt:

Report: Nvidia Ampere GPUs Will Deliberately Block Mining At Hardware Level

https://segmentnext.com/2018/02/13/n...-block-mining/
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2018, 01:30 PM   #47
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

From what I understand Ampere was supposed to come after Volta as it was always referred to as "NEXT GEN". I don't know if Ampere is Volta now or something completely different.

Turring though is supposed rumored to be the Mining Card.

I think Nvidia will be running alot of different segments:

GTX = Ampere ( Gaming )
Titan = Volta ( Pro-Sumer )
Mining = Turring
Quadro/Tesla = Workstation

I think we will see the exit of the Titan model under the GeForce GTX brand in to its own Pro-Sumer market.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2018, 03:10 PM   #48
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I reckon Volta will be limited to the Titans and Ampere is the cut down version of Volta for the rest.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2018, 03:21 PM   #49
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
More salt:

Report: Nvidia Ampere GPUs Will Deliberately Block Mining At Hardware Level

https://segmentnext.com/2018/02/13/n...-block-mining/
Not dissing the mining peeps here but I hope this is the case so the rest of us are not force to pay ridiculous prices for a new vid card.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2018, 06:05 PM   #50
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Not dissing the mining peeps here but I hope this is the case so the rest of us are not force to pay ridiculous prices for a new vid card.
if NVidia does this and not AMD I will buy NVidia 2080 ti cards for both my systems next time .
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2018, 08:33 PM   #51
KAC
That postcount though...

To be honest, if NVidia does block the gpu mining aspect then difficulty will not ramp us as fast as it is expected to on the release of these cards.

I personally think this is for naught. GPU prices are up because of high demand and blocking their GPU will do them no favors from a revenues / profits perspective. I would rather look at ways to increase production than block miners.

As for pricing on cards. I have been saying since 780 Ti days that this is the new pricing. AMD has done absolutely nothing but follow suit in its pricing so 699/799 cards are here to stay. Paying about a grand for a GPU will be common in 2018 whether there are miners or not.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 08:56 PM   #52
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
As for pricing on cards. I have been saying since 780 Ti days that this is the new pricing.
No, the prices are artificially inflated. That argument may be used for an MSRP of $700 for a flagship card, but absolutely not for prices of $1000-$1500.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:12 PM   #53
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
No, the prices are artificially inflated. That argument may be used for an MSRP of $700 for a flagship card, but absolutely not for prices of $1000-$1500.
this

nv knows if they go too high they will just force more and more people to consoles
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:27 PM   #54
Riptide

$750-799 was the going price for a long while. People act like paying an extra $50-100 is some sort of crime that is going to drive them into a console.

Huge overreaction.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:39 PM   #55
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
$750-799 was the going price for a long while. People act like paying an extra $50-100 is some sort of crime that is going to drive them into a console.

Huge overreaction.
You and I both have had no problem purchasing cards for $800 or so. But the fact is, not everyone has our luck or our freedom to sit and hit the refresh button on a web page and whip out a piece of plastic to purchase a video card.

Other people have crap going on, and they aren't sitting at a computer all day. It's not difficult to understand how hard it is for some people to find a card at a reasonably fair price.

Because of that, something has to change. It's not the $50-$100 that will drive them toward a console, it's not being able to buy a card at all unless they pay the $1000-$1500 prices because of the reasons above.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:47 PM   #56
Riptide

There are opportunities every weekend. And in the evening.

I understand your point and it has some merit.

They can get a card if they are persistent.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:55 PM   #57
KAC
That postcount though...

People purchasing 800 bucks cards are not going to move to consoles. Do you guys even think before posting? Only guys moving to consoles are maybe 1060 or lower owners who can’t find a card to do some light gaming and can’t afford more than 300-350 bucks graphics cards.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:57 PM   #58
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
There are opportunities every weekend. And in the evening.

I understand your point and it has some merit.

They can get a card if they are persistent.
People are busy man...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:22 PM   #59
Riptide

Lol then they're too busy to play games on it too so who cares.

They definitely aren't too busy to get on forums and whine like petulant children though.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:40 PM   #60
KAC
That postcount though...

Also nowinstock.net browser alerts are there. You can be doing your work and the thing fires up and you be like, hay gays I gots a new graphics card on the way.