Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:25 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Also, Ubi didnt invent the open world system.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:05 PM   #32
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

They did provide a template that many are now using.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:24 PM   #33
Jankan
Banged

Jankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Funny you created this thread because i was thinking the exact same thing recently. I have actually not played HZD for a while now because of this and started to get bored with the side quests. I ended up getting the uncharted remastered collection just to get a break from it, its all i have been playing now.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:25 PM   #34
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Zelda is one of the only open-world games I've played that actually feels like it does things the right way. It doesn't even assault you with a barrage of icons like virtually every other open world game does.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:35 PM   #35
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Too bad it aint on the PC. Is there even a comparable game on the PC in terms of style, scope and gameplay?
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:40 PM   #36
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I wish the new zelda had more elements of the old games, the whole "you can do anything anytime" is not always a good thing.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:49 PM   #37
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Open world games are wearing me out so fast. Every damn thing is an RPG of sorts with an open world with repetitive crap thrown at you. Every single game. It is really becoming a chore to finish even the simplest of games.

Mafia 3 - Why is it open world? Dafuq! - All the Mafia games have been open world.
Ghost Recon Wildlands - Why is it open world? Dafuq! - its meant to be a coop sandbox game and is great fun.
Dying Light - Why is it open world? Dafuq! - It fit the narrative.
Mass Effect Andromeda - Could have done without a full open world? Dafuq! - This I agree with it could have been pathed around planets.
Division - Again open world? Dafuq! - It fits the narrative and is one of the best feeling worlds out there right now.
Gravity Rush 2 - Wanted to play but full on open world! - dont know havent played.
Horizon Zero Dawn - Love it but open world again! - havent played yet.
Deus Ex Mankind Divided - Again open world sort of! - this is not open world at most it is open town and even that is a stretch.
Zelda - Wanted to try but open world. - agreed
Nier Automata - Again and RPG almost open world so skipped. - havent played yet but already answered in the thread.

I really appreciated some story driven stuff like Doom, TF2 and COD IW this past few months. Other than that, it seems everything I touch is open world/RPG nonsense. You guys getting tired of this?

answers inline. But really most of the games you listed are either meant to be open world games. I think your problem is more you like shorter curated expierences over open ended RPGs that late you progress how and where you want.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 01:56 PM   #38
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
Witcher 3 is not good because its open world, its good despite it. Would have been much better without it.
You sure about that? I disagree.

If you think about it, Witcher 3 is just a grander scale of Witcher 1.

Witcher 1 had big open zone areas, each act progressing the story accordingly. Witcher 3 is not a single open world. It's 3 or 4 big open zone areas, just like Witcher 1 but much larger. Each act in the main quest progresses the story.

I can't imagine Witcher 3 being something else, I would especially think it would suffer if it was chokingly linear like Witcher 2.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 02:03 PM   #39
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I wish the new zelda had more elements of the old games, the whole "you can do anything anytime" is not always a good thing.
I definitely agree, and explained in more detail in the Zelda thread.

Witcher 3, I just thought was absolutely fantastic. I really can't think of anything wrong with it worth mentioning. Might be the best fixed character driven RPG ever created.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 03:17 PM   #40
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I dont think Zelda is that much different from the typical open world game. The only thing is the map doesnt show you points of interest. If the map on Zelda showed all the korok seeds and mini dungeons it would look just like any typical Ubi game.

Old Apr 12, 2017, 03:45 PM   #41
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Simply not showing points of interest on the map is a HUGE difference though, and a positive one too.

Creates more pure exploration, and keeps the game from feeling like a big checklist.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 04:26 PM   #42
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I definitely agree, and explained in more detail in the Zelda thread.

Witcher 3, I just thought was absolutely fantastic. I really can't think of anything wrong with it worth mentioning. Might be the best fixed character driven RPG ever created.
Eh i like Witcher 3 but there is plenty that can be improved upon. Movement, some aspects of the combat, too many cutscenes and dialogues, still lot sof filler around the map, quests compass, storyline is not the strongest. Maybe there is more.

As for Mafia games being open world, they are not. They are linear games, set in an open backdrop. Mafia 3 went a bit too much GTA.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:22 PM   #43
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The amount of crap people spew in my threads is become a bit tiresome. However, some good points. I do believe, I have picked up way too many similar types of games lately and there is definitely fatigue. I haven't finished so many open world games that I have started it is becoming a bit daunting task to go through everything.

Some examples include Mad Max, Batman Arkham Knight DLCs, Ass Creed Syndicate some areas (even though finished the game and loved it), Dying Light, Division (left it at level 17 or so), Ghost Recon Wildlands (haven't even dug in), didn't buy Far Cry Primal, Mirror's Edge Catalyst since I am already bored of it because of it being open world, Mass Effect which to be honest needs more of my time before I trash it, MGS V as well, just left after a couple of missions in the desert and the whole base building crap.

HZD is possibly the only real open world I have spent hours in and it is still fun. The other open world type yet still linear games I liked were ROTTR and that's about it.

Anyways, as you were.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:39 PM   #44
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I think I have always disliked open world games yet I still am buying them.
I first noticed it in a Spiderman game on the Xbox.

I have never even played very far in any Grand Theft Auto game but I own some of them.

...oops, I have to catch a bus to work now....*run*.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:53 PM   #45
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynakedrat2 View Post
nier is done right.

so is Zelda I have only had to run on one or two checklists, and that was at my choice
I heard Nier is a great game. After I finish dark souls light aka Blood Born, I am going to jump into Nier Automata.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:55 PM   #46
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post

Witcher 1 had big open zone areas, each act progressing the story accordingly. Witcher 3 is not a single open world. It's 3 or 4 big open zone areas, just like Witcher 1 but much larger. Each act in the main quest progresses the story.

I can't imagine Witcher 3 being something else, I would especially think it would suffer if it was chokingly linear like Witcher 2.
I definitely agree with you but I had just as much fun with the Witcher 2. I loved the Witcher 2, might be my favorite out of the series. But the Witcher 3 is also awesome.

There are a few people on this forum who think the Witcher is boring.. to me its one of the best games ever made after you take everything into account.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:09 AM   #47
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have over 160 hours in Witcher 3 + expansions. It is also why I didn't finish many games last year. That and Destiny with ma gays on here.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 08:44 AM   #48
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Eh i like Witcher 3 but there is plenty that can be improved upon. Movement, some aspects of the combat, too many cutscenes and dialogues, still lot sof filler around the map, quests compass, storyline is not the strongest. Maybe there is more.
Those points are all subjective though. There's nothing inherently wrong, or broken with any of that, just your opinion of it seeming to need improvement. By that logic, everything could use improvement always.

To me the combat was a little clunky at first, but you could get used to it and it functioned fine. Most RPGs don't have perfect real time combat anyways, and when compared to others this game probably has the best ever. Best in the series at least.

The cutscenes and dialogue I thought were superb in this game, down to the most petty side quests. Best I've ever seen in an RPG.

Filler around the map, well that's just a bi-product of modern open world games but I don't think you're intended to do everything. Its just there to give a sense of lots to explore.

Not sure what problems with the quest compass? I remember it working fine for me.

Story line is what it is, you either like it or not. I liked it.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 09:24 AM   #49
yoz
The Garbage Man

Fair enough, but what i said is not subjective. There are hundreds of discussions about the combat and movement, storyline and filler.

Witcher 3 suffers from almost all problems that plague open world games, but because its so well made and shines in other areas, it gets a pass more or less. Its a fun game.

But had CDPR made a linear game, it would have been twice as good as it is now.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
Old Apr 13, 2017, 09:28 AM   #50
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I do agree on your last point. When making a linear game a dev studio can obviously remain more focused on delivering a more quality gaming experience, as opposed to quantity.

But such is the current trend of gaming with open world game design. Hopefully it will either be improved upon further, or move on to something better and more efficient.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:59 AM   #51
yoz
The Garbage Man

True.

If they try and learn what made games like Morrowind or Gothic great, and use that in Witcher 4, it will probably be the best open world game ever made, because they have talent and resources to pull it off.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:24 PM   #52
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I love open world games but my problem is that I usually never have the time to consistently play them. I ended up with 180+ hours in Witcher 3 and expansions. But this was over like 7 months. It's hard sometimes to remember where you left off when you don't get a chance to play for a few weeks. So, it can get frustrating when moving things forward can take many hours of gaming time and it gets broken up by times you can't play. So there were many times I was rushing instead of enjoying the game. (Not to mention staying up too late on work nights!) I think there should be some way to have better mission recaps available. It would be great if there was some way to break huge games into clear chapters and then to have some way to recap what happened in previous chapters and what is going on in the current chapter. Sort of like good TV series do when a story can span many seasons.
SD-[Inc] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:44 PM   #53
KAC
That postcount though...

I dived back into Deus Ex MD after a while and honestly, I have no clue wtf is going on. Even botched a side missions because I conversed with a vendor on both streams of conversations available. In one he gave me a quest. In the other one, he cancelled the quest and opened the back door for me. LAWL!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:37 PM   #54
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Its more than that. Franchises which were not open world are being made open world because of the trend, and they suffer for it.

Witcher 3 is not good because its open world, its good despite it. Would have been much better without it.
I haven't played Witcher 3, so I can't directly judge that, but I thought the first Witcher was actually asking to be open world from the start. Even the first game was semi-open world anyway. You came and went from the city hub numerous times. I felt oddly constrained not being able to go back to some previous sections since you went back and forth between the city and the swamp/sewer so much. It certainly wasn't set up as an entirely linear game.

It does seem like every game and it's brother is being made open world now, even though it doesn't always seem to make sense. However, some games really do benefit from being open world. For example, Mirrors Edge: Catalyst worked a lot better as open world, since part of the game became finding different routes across the rooftops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post

Yes, this is how I see the Witcher being. So, it sounds like W3 continues in more or less that vein.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:16 AM   #55
KAC
That postcount though...

Witcher 3 was amazing. yoz tried to diss it so he can act cool on the internets.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 03:19 AM   #56
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Witcher 3 was amazing. yoz tried to diss it so he can act cool on the internets.
...and you don't Brinn?

Whoops, sorry wrong person.

Where is the why you ask?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 08:17 AM   #57
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Simply not showing points of interest on the map is a HUGE difference though, and a positive one too.

Creates more pure exploration, and keeps the game from feeling like a big checklist.
Also, turning on pro mode is great. I havent used the hud since the beginning of the game. It takes a little bit to get use to, but now i have forgotten all bout it.

Theres an emulator called CEMU that can run this game on the pc, if thats your thing..

still counts, right?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:04 AM   #58
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynakedrat2 View Post
Also, turning on pro mode is great. I havent used the hud since the beginning of the game. It takes a little bit to get use to, but now i have forgotten all bout it.

Theres an emulator called CEMU that can run this game on the pc, if thats your thing..

still counts, right?
I wish pro mad had the map and I would use it.

CEMU does not count.

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:12 AM   #59
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Pro mode in Zelda is cool but I wish it gave more options as to what you can turn off. I'd like to be able to still see certain things.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:49 AM   #60
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i guess the map would help, but just looking around to find where you are going is pretty easy. and pressing the "-" button to orient yourself, or using the marker placement for next spot is fun and easy.