Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:54 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

DK2 is a great demo... proof of concept, that this is real and going to work very well and that it is being done right. But trust me, it isn't worth owning for regular use. Playing a space sim with almost all black background hides most of the screen door. Much else and it would wear on you quickly.
If they had released Crescent Bay on the other hand...
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:47 AM   #212
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Yeah, if they ever release the Crescent development kit, I will jump on that one.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2015, 06:53 PM   #213
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Maybe Valve will make the Rift Obsolete before it is even launched:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gam...beater-1285895

This to me is more like Valve, releasing a rather big surprise with the steam machines marching for release. Hmmm if only they could slip in HL3 as well

What if the real next generation of gaming is on Linux
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:21 PM   #214
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Was able to test the DK2 today on my University it was on display there, playing the roller coaster demo, everything about the relatively low resolution is true but even so the sense of 3D depth and the presence was fantastic!! I literally felt it on my stomach, and i grabbed my chair when the cart was making turns, i only experimented it for 2 or so minutes because was on a worry, so perhaps the resolution would not be that noticeable after some time, but even so i love it. About the 3D depth again, i have a 3D screen and is nothing like that, is totally different, the only way i can describe it is that just like real life 3D but at lower rez.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:24 PM   #215
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argoon1981 View Post
Was able to test the DK2 today on my University it was on display there, playing the roller coaster demo, everything about the relatively low resolution is true but even so the sense of 3D depth and the presence was fantastic!! I literally felt it on my stomach, and i grabbed my chair when the cart was making turns, i only experimented it for 2 or so minutes because was on a worry, so perhaps the resolution would not be that noticeable after some time, but even so i love it. About the 3D depth again, i have a 3D screen and is nothing like that, is totally different, the only way i can describe it is that just like real life 3D but at lower rez.
Yeah, I can't wait for someone to release these already. Man the wait is getting frustrating. Now I wonder if their will be a FreeSync/GSync version . Would make it much more immersive.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:55 PM   #216
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Since 'Freesync' is just AMD's name for a piece of the displayport standard, I'm sure we'll see crippled G-sync versions first...

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2015, 05:19 PM   #217
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

pretty sure it will already do that. it already uses, by necessity, the anti-blur back light pulsing.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 09:54 PM   #218
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ryzen 1700x 3.9ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus CrossHair 6 Hero 9, 16gb DDR4 3200 @ 3466, EVGA 1080 Ti, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive + 256mb Mushkin SSD + 512gb Samsung 850evo M.2 in enclosure for Sata III and 2x 1tb WD SATA III, 34" Dell " U3415W IPS + 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win10 Pro

Custom SFF built case, I7 6700k OC 4.4ghz, PowerColor R9 Nano,, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive, 16gb DDR 4 3000 Corsair LPX, LG 27" 4K IPS FreeSync 10bit monitor, Win 10
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM   #219
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
pretty sure it will already do that. it already uses, by necessity, the anti-blur back light pulsing.
they black out the backlight between frames to remove ghosting yes, it doesnt have anything to do with adapting the refreshrate to the gpu though.
the effect of combining the two would be quite contrary and flickery i guess, at 30-50 hz the strobing would probably melt your eyes. (Unless it were decoupled from the dynamic refreshrate)
the holy 90hz grail for vr probably also means you ideally want the framerate around there too.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 08:35 AM   #220
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

well ya, and they said crescent bay was running 90hz screens long ago.
I didnt say they were the same thing, but they are 2 huge features to keep the effect believable and not make people sick. Which they have talked a ton about keeping the motion sickness at bay.

I really highly doubt they won't do some g/freesync-iness. Most people won't have a comp that can push 3D to that level, but they still wanna sell 'em.

Last edited by night : Mar 3, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2015, 07:34 AM   #221
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Looks like the Crescent Bay prototype or whatever it should be called is also using two screens.

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/576516011228143616
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 07:26 AM   #222
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Rift is coming Q1 2016 !

Quote:
oday, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/first-lo...pping-q1-2016/

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 07:43 AM   #223
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hrm... let's see what Valve does with this since they intend to have the HTC VR headset out before Christmas.

What I *really* want to see on the final OcRift is adjustable optics that can be dialed in for folks who wear glasses, so they don't have to whilst using it. Otherwise I might just have to try contact lenses again.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 09:52 AM   #224
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Hrm... let's see what Valve does with this since they intend to have the HTC VR headset out before Christmas.

What I *really* want to see on the final OcRift is adjustable optics that can be dialed in for folks who wear glasses, so they don't have to whilst using it. Otherwise I might just have to try contact lenses again.
I think the final Oculus will have better specs/design than the final HTC VR

But I am just guessing

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 10:55 AM   #225
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
About F-ing time.

I will be the first putting in a pre-order. Sales of this thing are going to skyrocket.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 12:58 PM   #226
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

No interest until the software is there.
Old May 6, 2015, 06:07 PM   #227
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
No interest until the software is there.
There are already games now that come Rift-Ready out of the box. The most recent being Dirt Rally, which according to at least two reviewers who have used the Rift on it, say it makes the game so much better to play.
Old May 6, 2015, 08:34 PM   #228
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
There are already games now that come Rift-Ready out of the box. The most recent being Dirt Rally, which according to at least two reviewers who have used the Rift on it, say it makes the game so much better to play.
That's one game that I have no interest in. Next...
Old May 6, 2015, 10:34 PM   #229
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
About F-ing time.

I will be the first putting in a pre-order. Sales of this thing are going to skyrocket.
x2

Can't wait to preorder the thing. Have been looking forward to this for years now.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 10:51 PM   #230
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_Rift_support
Old May 7, 2015, 12:03 PM   #231
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Sims are the main, arguably only, reason to have VR.
Every other genre is gonna spend a long time trying to make it work *and* be worth it somehow.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:09 PM   #232
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Do we have any idea how much it's going to cost?
16GB Corsair DDR4 , SSD 850 evo /480gb SSD Vertex 2/ 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 12:27 PM   #233
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
Sims are the main, arguably only, reason to have VR.
Every other genre is gonna spend a long time trying to make it work *and* be worth it somehow.
Yeah, I think generally games where your "avatar" is in a seat of some sort, controlling something, will work best. (Elite is pretty cool in VR).
Atleast as long as you´re sitting down.
I´ve fiddled a bit with a crude mech game prototype in Unity and put in a quick and dirty Oculus implementation, and tried it out at some friends studio who has a DK2.
It worked pretty well.
Also tried another prototype where you control a hovercraft type of thing, but it´s so fast and nimble that I got a bit motion sick pretty fast from zipping around with it.
So lesson learned, Big slow stompy mech > Nimble hovercraft.
Old May 7, 2015, 05:28 PM   #234
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Yeah, I think generally games where your "avatar" is in a seat of some sort, controlling something, will work best. (Elite is pretty cool in VR).
Atleast as long as you´re sitting down.
I´ve fiddled a bit with a crude mech game prototype in Unity and put in a quick and dirty Oculus implementation, and tried it out at some friends studio who has a DK2.
It worked pretty well.
Also tried another prototype where you control a hovercraft type of thing, but it´s so fast and nimble that I got a bit motion sick pretty fast from zipping around with it.
So lesson learned, Big slow stompy mech > Nimble hovercraft.
Yep. Given that I prefer to play slow, exploratory-type games in the first place, such games would be well suited to OcRift.
Old May 7, 2015, 09:46 PM   #235
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Cool 1 more year.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015, 08:46 PM   #236
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

I got to mess with this thing a few days ago. Thing is bad ass.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015, 12:47 PM   #237
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

I just read the Rift will runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015, 09:59 PM   #238
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I just read the Rift will runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/
So, 1920 x 1200 per eye. That's enough for me.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:41 PM   #239
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
So, 1920 x 1200 per eye. That's enough for me.
Yea. It's enough for me too. I hope a single AMD 390x is enough for a good experience. This thing will also save me a lot of desk space. Will people want multi-monitor setup for gaming anymore?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 07:43 AM   #240
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

uh, I read that as 2160 (/2) x1200 per display / eye. Half width per eye (1080x1200 x 2).